I heard talk of coming hybrids but this is ridiculous: Ferrari going full electric | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I heard talk of coming hybrids but this is ridiculous: Ferrari going full electric

Discussion in 'Electric Ferraris' started by bitzman, Apr 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    2/3s of Ferrari's market has made it into law where an end date has been set where ICE will not be allowed to be sold. Most set the date at or around 2040. That is only 21 years from now.

paulchua likes this.
  2. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Why would performance be commoditized? Power will be, but its getting there already. Handling, weight, rigidity, steering feel, fun to drive, will continue to be huge performance drivers.

showme1946, Solid State and paulchua like this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    That's a good point, especially with automation.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    4rextc and High Sierra like this.
  5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think performance driving will be better with electric. Handling will much be improved and far more fun. Trouble is, every car company will end up basicly building the same car. Other then branding, there won't be much to separate them from each other.

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don't know. There's the proprietary architecture of a single secure controller(s) and then the specific power and gearing of each motor and then the proprietary algorithms for platform stability and performance and then even the very high output custom batter packs. And then there are the cars that look like a Pininfarina versus a plastic rocket ship and with the PF style and beauty pleasing the eye and earning a place in the garage.

Some will be made to complement existing ICE and not compete while others will claim to end ICE from the onset. The prior will survive IMO. Even the suspension components/adjustability/quality will differ. This will allow ICE to even grow over time and we can have both if we choose. One a harmonious wicked beast of a V12 and the other a rocketing vectored machine. They don't need to be competing exotics to succeed IMO.

I don't know about this 2040 date but its definitely not settled in the US and these future rules are always changing. The US and the ME will continue to pump oil and gas much longer than that IMO. We have generations of cheap fuel ready to go.

LARRYH likes this.
  7. Vintage Racer

Vintage Racer Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    15 Year member in GA
    Full Name:
    Doc
    Only 2% of global auto sales are electric.

The big problems are limited range and the lack of charging stations.

LARRYH likes this.
  8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm quite sure at one point, the horse and buggy outsold the car too.

DrewH likes this.
  9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    4rextc likes this.