I love my Cali even more now.. | FerrariChat

I love my Cali even more now..

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Jcheun4, Jun 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jcheun4

Jcheun4 Rookie

Feb 18, 2016
    May 2018, I bought my first, new to me, 2010 Cali. I stepped out of a Maserati Granturismo S which I absolutely loved, and had 0 problems with for its 75k mile life.
    But, I was super nervous about the "reliability" of the Cali. Of course, when you search, you find everything wrong and terrible with any car.

This car is F'ing awesome! First off, I'm able to bring my entire family with me .
    HTML:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/isofix-car-seat.602207/
    First picture below is stock.

But I've always thought the car had way too much wheel well space (almost like an SUV), and track width was so narrow w/ the wheels tucked in. Now I know the die hards will say Ferrari did everything for optimal performance, but honestly, I'll track it maybe 5% of the time. And I've been to quite a few track days to know my driving performance is far below the limits of the car. And even then, I'm not striving for an extra tenth of a second to win any trophies/money. Rather, I want the esthetics and driving experience and feel.

So I set off with countless nights of searching all the forums. Within the first 1 day of ownership, I did the vacuum tee mod w/ the exhausts (same mod I did w/ the Maserati GranTurismo S). The exhaust is always in full sport mode w/ flaps open. Let me tell you that the exhaust note is PERFECT! This is how it should've come from the factory. No need for any aftermarket exhausts. If any, maybe Cats, or maybe resonator delete, but this car is truly awesome sounding, without being too obnoxious. Well, my wife differs w/ me.
    That was last year.

I was able to find H&R springs from a shop in Germany. Had them shipped to Chicago for €527.79, which was about $610 at the time!! Unbelievable! Only took 1 week!
    I was back and forth between Hill Engineering Spacers, 11mm front, 15mm rears or Wheels w/ the equivalent offset and width. Since I couldn't decide I had the springs installed right away ~$1050.
    Second picture below is springs only.
    I loved the lowered look, but the wheels tucked way in the wheel well ate away at me.

So I found Lexani Stuggarts, gloss black! They custom cut the offset so I'm sitting on:
    Fr: 20X8.5 +39mm - matches an 11mm spacer equivalent
    R: 20X10 + 34mm - matches an 18mm spacer equivalent

Perfection!! Definitely much less practical on Chicago streets, but I'm sure you can all relate - F'ing worth it!!

I've attached some pics of how practical the trunk can be too - got my son's balance bike, scooter, helmets, and a bunch of bags with plenty of room (with top up).
    With top down, another pic of a Radio Flyer Wagon, folding 2 lawn chairs , 2 kids chairs, little cooler, diaper bags and other stuff.

I'm sure my setup is not going to be to everyone's appeal, but I can't stop staring at it now... and same w/ on-lookers and their cellphones.

(Sorry about the poor quality pictures - got so excited I just snapped pic from my cell phone. I'll get some better SLR pics later and edit them)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua, Maggio23, Nick.C and 3 others like this.
  2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I only change things on cars that helps its performance, I am not really into what looks better. If you like it, well it is your car and you should do whatever you want to it. Congrats, and good luck with it.

3. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    It looks great! It's amazing how well our cars aged isn't it! Put some smiles to the miles baby!

4. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Beautiful!!! Congrats my friend. I absolutely love the spacer mod! Been thinking about that one myself. Nicely done.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Red car, black wheels, red calipers - it's like my 911's crazy Italian cousin! Looks nice. Enjoy it...T

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Glad you like it. Will never understand the fad with black wheels though. To each their own.
    I'm sure the H&R springs helps your track days. You might want to consider dialing in a bit of oversteer. Either by camber adjustment or F12 front tyres. Adding that much track in the rear compared to the front, causes significant understeer - and this on a car that is already very prone to understeer from the factory.

350MH83 likes this.
  7. Jcheun4

Jcheun4 Rookie

Feb 18, 2016
    Thanks for all the kind replies. So far, aside from a check engine light (still trying to sort out the sensor/chip issues @ Lake Forest Ferrari), this car has been pretty solid - I hope I don't jinx myself.

I'm surprised that I don't really worry about the mileage much in the car. I thought I'd be obsessed w/ keeping them low, but now I'm annoyed if I can't drive it. I've put about 12k miles on it since I"ve owned it, and I plan on running this to 70k+ miles. I figured it's a 2010 that bought at a highly depreciated value from sticker, now is the time I should care the least about making it a garage queen!
    I've got 39k miles and counting! (I saw one last year w/ 92k miles - awesome to see that!)

8. John Geiger

John Geiger Rookie

Aug 8, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    John Geiger
    I agree...black just makes it look like you have no wheels...lol

9. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
    I think the car lowering fad has gone too far but I must admit that looks great. Do you have a rear pic without the trunk open?

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Great to hear about your experiences, keep on enjoying!!!