I love Teslas | Page 19 | FerrariChat

I love Teslas

Discussion in 'Australia' started by carl888, Nov 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Bas and Ferraridoc like this.
  2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  3. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
  4. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I wish I had! I thought they'd go broke long ago and that mainstream manufacturers would blow them out of the water. Instead, Tesla makes the best electric car on the planet and everyone's playing catch up...... Unsuccessfully

5. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes, no one has brought out anything comparable that I have seen.

Only a matter of time though I would have thought.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Ok.... If you say so
    I've been waiting a long time

7. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
  8. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Saw my first second hand Taycan turbo S on the market recently. Only $10k over sticker. Ford raptors got more of a premium than that for years.

9. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    A very good summary of the reality behind "clean" electric cars:

Electric vehicles require about three times more copper than internal combustion equivalents – plus lithium, cobalt and other metals for their batteries. Wind turbines need some 200 times more steel, copper, plastics, rare earths, concrete and other materials per megawatt than combined-cycle gas turbines. Photovoltaic solar panels have similar materials requirements. 100% “renewable, sustainable” Green New Deal electricity systems on US or Chinese scales would require millions of turbines, billions of solar panels and billions of half-ton Tesla-style battery packs for cars, buses and backup electricity storage.

Those technologies, on those scales, would require mining at levels unprecedented in world history! And the environmental and human rights record we’ve seen for those high-tech metals is terrifying.

Lithium comes mostly from Tibet and the Argentina-Bolivia-Chile “lithium triangle,” where contaminated lands and waters are poisoning fish, livestock, wildlife and people. Most cobalt is mined in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where 40,000 children and their parents slave in open pits and dark, narrow tunnels – and get exposed constantly to filthy, toxic, radioactive mud, dust, water and air. Broken bones, suffocation, blood and respiratory diseases, birth defects, cancer and paralysis are commonplace.

Nearly all the world’s rare earth elements come from Inner Mongolia. Mining the ores involves pumping acid into the ground and processing them with more acids and chemicals. Black sludge from the operations is piped to a huge foul-smelling “lake” that is surrounded by formerly productive farmlands that are now so toxic that nothing can grow on them, and people and wildlife have just moved away. Here too, severe skin and respiratory diseases, cancers and other terrible illnesses have become commonplace.

In many of these cases, the mining and processing operations are run by Chinese companies, under minimal to nonexistent pollution control, workplace safety, fair wage, child labor or other basic standards that American, Canadian, Australian and European companies are expected to follow.

DMWC and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  10. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Was that article commissioned by the Saudis?

WhoM cares? They're just better to drive (as a daily)...so THE END

I just purchased another electric scooter after I polluted the atmosphere with my old one. I don't care. I love electric.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Great, so what was their answer to all of the above ?

Hydrogen ?

12. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Best thing to happen to electric thingos

knocker and Bas like this.
  13. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    The article (on electric buses) can be found in full here: https://www.cfact.org/author/duggan/

There is a lot of discussion to be found online about extraction of rare earth minerals in China. The facts are undeniable because the vast toxic lakes can be seen from space. It is a mass pollution event that should be a global outrage, however it suits the green-left media to look the other way.

Interesting reading about windmill magnets: https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/wind/big-winds-dirty-little-secret-rare-earth-minerals/

95% of rare earths come from China, not because they only occur there, but because there is a total absence of pollution controls which would otherwise dramatically increase the price.

knocker and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  14. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Hydrogen is a BS argument now adopted by the green-left to distract us from the failure of solar and wind.

A lot of electricity is needed to separate Hydrogen from water, then the process is reversed in a fuel cell to make electricity, of which you recover about 70% of the power that went in. The delusion is that large scale solar farms will convert water to hydrogen, which is then piped to cities. The cost alone makes this untenable.

The only alternative to coal or gas is nuclear. Small-scale thorium reactors buried underground and distributed through cities. It will never happen here, because 50 years of propaganda have implanted a Pavlovian fear in the population.

15. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    But Australia is the largest MINER of lithium - note it’s the refining, not the extraction which produces the toxins. I believe the previous refiners in Malaysia have been replaced by a plant in USA (Tx I think). We just shft the dirty bits out of our backyard.

16. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Steve355F1 and knocker like this.
  17. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004