I might not be moving to Australia on a whim after all? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I might not be moving to Australia on a whim after all?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by texasmr2, Apr 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 275 GTB

275 GTB Formula 3

Nov 21, 2008
    Sthrn Highlands
    Like this one Tex...

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I was just going to contact the consulate/embassy here in Houston. I heard from my old work buddy this morning and he is now living in Queensland. I'm weighing all my options at this point so no harm, no foul.

3. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Just thought I would close this subject with the info I recieved from the embassy yesterday. First thing I was told is that I would need a firm job offer but here is the kicker, the work visa is about a 3.5yr process :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess I'll be staying in Texas.

4. eurospec

eurospec F1 Veteran

May 29, 2005
    Mt Isa. Australia
    Full Name:
    mohamad
    That sucks,no other way??

5. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    just fly out and overstay like the other 4 million ****ers

6. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Did you checkout the 'skilled migrant' section -it's faster. BTW, I think the 3.5yrs is a worst-case; I certainly know folks (one in Perth at present) who've done the move in the space of a couple of weeks. BUT, they have VERY specialized professional skills.

7. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    The largest percentage of whom are...

British! True!

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    My friend in Adelaide did mention that half of the people are misplaced Brits. All I know is everything happens for a reason and so I am not bummed about it.

9. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Pretty sure the 3.5 years thing is when you apply for a visa. If your prospective employer applies for one for you (457 visa) it is much faster - as in months or even weeks.

Don't give up easily - its a great place over here :)

10. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I have several app's out at the moment so I'm going to see what happens with those first and I'm in no rush.

11. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    You need sponsor and a 457 visa with some business owner. But it is a huge commitment on both parties. Gets involved.

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Probably more involved than I am willing to deal with as I am already dealing with these long and drawn out apps already. I already have 732hr's of training which is one of the highest requirements in the US, possibly the world, for law enforcement and I'm not sure if I am willing to attend another academy.

13. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Perhaps an extended holiday,so you can get a handle on the place/people might be a first move.

14. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I recieved an email from my old working buddy and he lives in Queensland and gave me some insight about other area's. A holliday would be nice in the future but for now it is out of the picture but yes you are right, that would be the smartest move for anyone considering moving oversea's.

15. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I would think once here with a force moving interstate wouldn't be too hard in that profession. I know here in Victoria they are looking for new recruits. I'm pretty sure they'd accept someone already trained. There are a lot of British Police here and in NZ so obviously it can be done.

The only thing you MAY struggle with particularly being from Texas, is that you can't bring your guns. :p Only criminals are allowed to own guns over here. ;)

16. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yep and that is something I cannot deal with.

17. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Lol....you troublemaker!

18. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    More info here:

http://yanksdownunder.net/index/

M

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  20. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Gregg you might also checkout online stuff like house prices, rent etc (realestate.com.au) since I suspect cost of living in Aus might be a bit of a surprise. For instance, base salary for a Qld police officer is only A$49,950 plus up to 21% extra for shift allowances IF applicable. Rent in Brisbane runs minimum $350 (per week) for a small apartment and to buy the same place would be around $350,000 @ 7% interest, plus a few hundred bucks for legals and bank fees, plus sales tax maybe (varies wildly from State to state). Also check out carsales.com for car prices; they're a lot higher than US. Fuel prices are also higher and I think many purchase items will be too.

Sorry, I'm not trying to put you off, but it is WAY different to the US and if you've never travelled, you might be putting a big effort into something you don't actually want.
    The pluses of course are great weather (depending on where you go), very few places need much winter heating; friendly laid-back people; SAFE; clean air and water; plenty of roads although the quality can be dubious.

21. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    he's a Yank, of course he hasn't travelled :p

22. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Not so fast Moretti... wonder how many Aussies know how things work in other places... like Indonesia you pay the WHOLE residential lease amount upfront; in HK rents are paid monthly and tenant pays 1/2 month commision to the agent plus 2 months bond plus possibly rates and management; Australia is odd in that most rents are quoted weekly but you pay 4 weeks bond and no commision (owner pays); Italy is monthly rent but from memory bond was only 1 month. I know US rents are monthly but no idea about commission, bonds, who pays rates, taxes or management?

23. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    KIAK

24. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    LOL. :D

Actually that's interesting, what would happen of KIAI and KIAK conceived?? A chopper front engined V12 with a REOHOS FIAT............ :eek:

25. BOB DYLAN

BOB DYLAN Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    VICTORIA
    Full Name:
    BOB
    #50 BOB DYLAN, May 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    easy! I resemble half that comment
    Image Unavailable, Please Login