I sold my 575M HGTC | FerrariChat

I sold my 575M HGTC

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Elsi, Oct 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    It’s a long time since I posted here. But some of you might still know me and my 575M HGTC. Some years back my mechanic crashed my 575M and this was the chance to get a HGTC which I really loved (and still do). Some weeks ago I sold it with 80 000 km on the clock. I did not buy it from new but nearly did 65 000 km in my two 575M.

Here is how it came that I sold my beloved 575M HGTC: My wife has problems with her eyes which resulted that she only rarely drove her (manual) Boxster S. So she asked me if you would trade in my 575M if she gave her Boxster to buy a roofless Ferrari.

On one side this was a tempting idea but on the other hand I did not like the thoughts to sell my 575M. Anyway we test drove a California T. The wife loved it from the first minute but it did not say anything to me since I did not like how the car drives (was too “synthetic” for me).

So I forgot about that idea until my wife drove in (the passenger seat of) a 458 which she really liked. So I drove a 458 by myself and I must say I really like this car!

It ended that we recently bought a black 458 spider with only 6 000 km. This was one of your best decisions. Now we have a car for both and are doing tours together. Sometimes the wife drives and sometime I do.

I am posting this here because I think that some of you might be interested how a 458 feels compared to a 575M. So I will add this very soon to this thread.

Markus

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Markus- Whatever the little lady really, really wants usually works out best. Congratulations on the new 458.

Jon Von Bon likes this.
  3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Markus, so good to see you posting again, sad to hear the reason why, though. Another fine member of the community here is off...but the 458 is a good reason. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the two.
    And see you in Switzerland sometime.

4. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Thank you Terry!

5. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Thanks Darius! Would be great to meet you again when you are in Switzerland next time!

6. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    PS: Sorry that I did not post anything here in the last time! I was more focussed on driving my F-cars . BTW I founded a small club with some friends and we are doing a tour every month. We take lots of pics and if somebody here wants to enjoy some nice Ferrari pics: www.ferrari-drivers-club.ch/

7. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    As I wrote I did 65 000 km with 575M so I guess I know this car quite well. Now this is how a 458 feels compared to a 575M HGTC.

First I have to say that I prefer a HGTC much over a standard 575M and I never could buy a standard 575M after having had a HGTC. It is such a better car!

But now to the 458: The first thing I sensed was that this car sits much better on the road! You have an immense better feeling of the road and of the car. Though it is not hard or harsh at all and feels very comfortable. Although the 458 is not a GT as a 575M it still is very comfortable to drive and you can also drive for hours in this car. It is almost as comfortable as a 575M.

As soon as you press the accelerator pedal the cars transforms to a completely different and sporty car. I have never driven a car that can be a GT and a race car at the same time!

The next thing that impressed me is the steering. I really liked the steering feeling of my 575M HGTC but the 458 is of a completely different world! If you only think to turn the steering wheel the car already turns in! I don’t know how they do that but the car turns amazingly fast into corners.

Now to the engine: Can a 8 cylinder car hold a candle against a 12 cylinder Ferrari? Well, the 575M has really torque no matter what the rev counter says. The 458 is not that bad but at lower revs I miss the torque of my 575M! Though you can perfectly drive a 458 with slightly more than 1 000 rpm. I first have to get used to change gears at 9 000 rpm and I shift much too early. But if you really rev this car it is from a different world!

I did some passes with fellows that have a 458 and 488 before I sold my 575M and I was surprised that I had no problems following them. But a 458 feels much more nimble and lighter than a 575M… And of course it is a faster car!

One word to the gearbox: Of course the double clutch gearbox is fast as hell. But it is very comfortable too. When driving with 50 kph it goes into 7th gear. I pressed the Auto button once in my 575M just to find out that they wasted space for this button. It is completely useless and I never drove in Auto mode again in my 575M. The 458 is completely different and Auto mode does a really great job! I am a 100% paddle shifter (but also like to row through the gears of my 512 TR) but find me pressing the Auto button in the 458 very often. The software of the gearbox does a really great job.

So far my first impressions of my 458 compared to the 575M. Hope this helps getting a feeling of my new car in the eyes of Maranello owners.

Markus

PS: I am still thinking about my 575M and I am sure I will not forget this car! It really is an amazing car.

Tim Riley likes this.
  8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Markus- Just what I would have expected. The 458 actually has similar torque to the 575M, 398 lb-ft compared to your HGTC's 434, but it happens at much higher rpm. So down low, the V12 has a big torque advantage, up high, does not really matter as the V8's hp takes over.

9. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    True Terry - I am used to drive at lower rpm with the 575M that's why it feels stronger. When you rev the 458 it is really a beast!

Markus