I think I'm done with Ferrari | Page 28 | FerrariChat

I think I'm done with Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TheMayor, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    In the Vegas area a far better track than LVMS is Spring Mountain in Pahrump. They offer schools in Corvettes, Lotus, and Radicals. The latter will make any street Ferrari seem slow.

2. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    According to my friend who works at Ferrari here in Italy, the ones they build here are just fine. The guys in Maranello are doing a good job.

Unfortunately, the Ferrari factory in New Jersey has had quite a few quality control problems and many U.S. customers are rightfully angry. He told me the U.S. spec cars are made using 100% American workers all of which live in New Jersey and about the only thing Italian about the Ferrari Factory in North Caldwel, New Jersey (where Tony Soprano lives) is the fact that the worker's names all end in a vowel and they tend to hang out at the Bada Bing at lunch time.

I don't know how much more it would cost to import a Ferrari built in Maranello directly from Italy to the U.S., but it might be worth it to get a good one.

I wonder why nobody has mentioned this problem before? I hope I'm not "talking out of school". My friend didn't say the N.J. plant was a Ferrari secret.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ^^^^^not sure if serious....

:confused:

4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Interesting - that's the first time I've heard that Ferraris might be built anywhere other than the Maranello factory.

All the best,
    Andrew.

5. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Google didn't reveal anything but could this be where they install US spec radios and nav???

6. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    What he said. Really. Time out needed. You had two beautiful 458s that you sold used for cost. Think about how incredible that is. Privileged, indeed.

7. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    This is true. I bought a 2012 Boxster Spyder and my wife and I would fight over driving it. It's such a pleasure to drive that I bought a second one (have a black one and a white one). I have never before purchased two of the same cars. It is that good. I don't think I will ever sell them. They are light, fast enough (mid 4 sec) handle perfectly, sound great (with sport exhaust). Also bullet proof. Almost 40,000 combined miles with not a single problem. I cannot believe how well made these cars are. And the car looks unique and beautiful (one of the best looking modern Porsches) and is relatively rare. Produced for only two years and the US production in 2012 was approximately 275 cars!

These are toys. They can't be justified logically. Only emotionally. Therefore, once you've lost it it's gone. Sad.

8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  9. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Man... I hope you are a little wrong. I was hoping to enjoy my new 458 spider that's coming in December. Either way... Damn you're good! You even nailed the government comment!!!

10. msos

msos Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    S. FL
    Full Name:
    Mike S
    at the local Ferrari track day here last week some of those who have had every Ferrari including FXX and F12 said their new 2014 corvette is worth $300K.......not a bad interim toy........and there you are sure they will not treat you right......but for $68K with all the bells and whistles who cares..........

11. EODoc

EODoc Rookie

Jun 7, 2013
    Floyds Knobs, IN
    Full Name:
    Rob
  12. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    #687 F SPIDER, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I'm hoping you kept the one that would make us (on this site) very proud?

14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    if the car is good, everything else is just background noise.
    ed

15. rmk

rmk Formula 3

Mar 24, 2002
    His profile says he kept the Spyker.

16. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    The Spyker is a little bit of an acquired taste. In the beginning I thought they were very ugly. But actually it is a brilliantly designed machine. There are virtually no electronics. No power steering, no power brakes, no stability control, no traction control. Just ABS. Very compact and only 2700LB.

The design is all racecar derived. Single wheel nut, AP racing brakes, inboard fully adjustable suspension, dual gas tanks in the doorsills. Front and rear clam shell that open and many more details.

The interior is fantastic. No plastic anywhere in sight. The switches are real $50 a piece a
    Aircraft switches. The exposed shift linkage, the machined pedal box and periscope mirror are at the same time modern and classic.

Direct access to the factory and CEO as well as a tight online owners community round out the experience.

17. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
  18. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I do think the Spyker is a jewel of a car. Fair weather only of course, but unique.

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I totally agree. It's nutty for nuttiness sake -- and you kinda have to admire that. It's also what makes a Pagani a Pagani.

20. Flo400

Flo400 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    #695 Flo400, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    I think there's three parts of the discussion:

1. People (including the mayor) want to feel more excitement, more Steve McQueen and less of a doctor. However, at the same time people complain about bluetooth connectivity and Sat Nav, lacking sound from the stereo system or air conditioning. That doesn't fit together. If I am driving a Ferrari I am probably buying a product that is not specifically built for a world class blue tooth connectivity or air conditioning. Yes they are offering it but I would expect it working properly from a bentley but not from a Ferrari. If you do, then don't complain about a car that makes you feel like a doctor. Especially if your buying a high performance sports car with only 7.000 sales p.a. its just not very likely that they get all the stuff working like a volkswagen sat nav. Ferrari is a part of a bigger group, but it seems too independent, other than Volkswagen/Lamborghini. There you have a working sat nav but youcan complain that you are getting a volkswagen system.
    There's a thread in the 458 section "how fast have you gone with your car". There's a lot of answers below 100 mph. My old grandma does that every other day in her BMW. If I was using my Ferrari for that, I would also start thinking about sat nav and bluetooth. How boring. You'll find lots of places to go 200 mph with your 458 in Germany. However, it'S not worth a try if you are not used to driving at those speeds. Aerodynamics and braking is different than driving with 100 mph. But once you do that, you might look differenty at your "not working sat nav" car. I went 146 mph in my 35 year old 400 GTA.

2. Lacking quality in some obvious things, nothing to do with 'comfort options'. Yes its pathetic that for a car with this price tag no one seems to notice orange peel in quality control or that plastic parts are built for years that get sticky after a while. That part of the discussion is valuable and I fully agree.

3. The third part is probably US specific, maybe some other markets as well but not Europe. People are expecting more from Ferrari since they are difficult to but, long waiting lists and cross deals like "buy an FF first". I can buy an F12 tomorrow below list, there's enough of them on the market. Last time I spoke a dealer he said 2-3 months to order a new one. That's not a miracle, because it's just a car! Also, they depreciate! Stop complaining about difficult order processes and naughty dealers. If you can buy your car, drive it and sell it at cost, that's the deal and it seems ok for me. You can't have it all, nice dealers, no waiting lists and cars that are not depreciating. In Europe, people use Ferraris as cars. They actually drive them and they do get wet from time to time. If you drive them at let's say 6/10th you'll probably be very happy with it as a sports car. If you drive them to the next restaurant and worry about door dings why do you buy them in the first place and why do you complain.
    Stop complaing about option prices. If you don't want a 3000 USD cup holder, don't buy it. If you think you need all the carbon fiber extras but they are too expensive, don't buy them. Ferrari is not in a cost plus business. They are selling a brand image and you have to be willing to pay the premium or buy a corvette. These cars cost 300k+, take it like a man. No one forces anyone to buy a ferrari. If you think a corvette is better (or better value for money), go for it. But don't complain about cup holder prices. You are buying a premium product with 7k sales p.a. worldwide so there's a premium price. There are probably phones with a better funcionality or quality than I phones that are selling for less. Still i phones are not sold on a cost plus-basis, same here and more so - Ferrari might even be a stronger brand than Apple.

21. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    #696 elipinski, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    Thank you! Great wright up. Nothing to add. +1

22. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    I understand your argument and I'm certainly not on the verge of buying a brand new Ferrari so this really doesn't effect me directly. However, the idea of a $3000 cup holder strikes me much like buying a bottle of expensive Champagne at a fancy night club. Apparently some of the ultra rich aren't happy paying $1000/bottle; not because it's too expensive but because it's too cheap.

The solution, apparently, is to order two bottles at $1000 each, have the bartender pour one bottle down the drain, and serve the other. Bingo, $2000/bottle Champagne and your "cool factor" goes way up.

So, as soon as I wear out my old 360 Modena and hit the big-bucks lottery, I plan to buy a new Ferrari, order two sets of $3000 cup holders, destroy one, and then I'll have the very exclusive $6000 cup holder option. That will make me cool for sure and demonstrate my ability to "take it like a man". Image is everything. I can hardly wait.

23. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    You want have to destroy the $3k cup holder, just use it a few times and it will likely break on its on.

24. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    At the core of this discussion is not that the new Ferraris are bad, but that they are TOO good. The modern cars are so capable that you have to do highly illegal things on the road to enjoy the car and its capabilities. Here in the US there is no way you can drive a 456 at 6/10th without risking your life and/or your license.

When I moved up from a 360 spider to a 430 spider, I expected more excitement, because the "leap" that Ferrari made improving its next generation. What I got was LESS excitement at around legal speeds. At the same speeds I was not using 6/10th, but only 3/10th of its capability.

When I see a 456, I'm drawn back in. I have to use my brains over my heart and tell myself that the 456 is a leap ahead of the 430. By this time, you can only truly use the car on the track.

The pull of Ferrari remains strong, but I have to go back in time. I miss my Daytona (except for the brakes), I even miss my first Ferrari: a 400 5 speed......

25. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    i think u mean 458