I thought I liked my Breitling....until today | FerrariChat

I thought I liked my Breitling....until today

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by whatspeedlimit?, Apr 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatspeedlimit?

whatspeedlimit? Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    Denver, Colorado
    I have a coral faced Breitling emergency that the battery died on a couple years ago....I had never got it fixed because I have other watches. I sold my gmt master a while back and I decided to finally have the battery replaced. I sent it in and they told me it was going to be $1200 dollars to replace the battery!!!! I had heard $400 a year back and that seemed reasonable. But at $1200; I don't even think the watch is worth that! Has anybody else had the same experience??

2. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Who did you send it to? That seems very high.

I thought Breitling USA in CT charged around $500.

3. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Send it to me. I am also happy to buy the watch. Pm me for details

4. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I picked up my Mission Emergency from Tourneau in the Dallas Galleria yesterday. It had bee sent off for battery/service. I got it back and there was no charge even though it is three years old. Might be worth calling and checking- ask for Claire, she is very nice- feel free to use my name.

5. H&K

H&K Rookie

Feb 6, 2009
    It's not just a battery but as you know it's also a overhaul of the radio.

Even though the frequency band is no longer monitored via the SARSAT satellite system it is being monitored by ground in case you go wheels down.

I have to pull mine out of the shoe box I tossed it in one of my gun safes and wear it again. Was a watch guy for a long time but adopted the philosophy of my 13 year old. Why do you need a watch when your phone has a clock? I bought both boys Rolex Sub's when they were born and neither as a interest in wearing them. Oh well maybe when they geez up.

6. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    Provided you bought the watch through authorized channels, the first battery service is supposed to be free.

7. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    +2.

8. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    This

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I have one better.

I have an Anonimo Militare that's one of my favourite watches. The crown broke so my AD sent it back and it got fully serviced at the same time. It came back $800 and two years later. I was traveling a bunch and missed their calls when it was ready and I think picked it up 4 or 5 months after they got it. Then I think it sat in my watch box another 5 months or so before I started to wear it again. Then I broke it out and wore it almost every day.

Well, after 3 weeks it became apparent that the second hand bad been incorrectly installed and now it was scratching the hell out of the dial as it turned. I took it back and the AD said they would get it sorted. They are. FOR $400! Seriously, I have to pay to have the service center's mistake fixed.

If I didn't love the watch so much, I would have just let it sit.

10. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    I don't know if this is what happened, but just like other batteries, a watch battery can leak and damage the movement. I always tell people to not let a watch with a dead battery lie around-get it replaced soon.

11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The Mission has a battery replacement and transmitter service at the same time.
    When my son's Mission battery dies I'm going to have the battery replaced at the local watch shop. I don't know how hard getting to the transmitter battery is or if its the same.
    I cant see "servicing" a transmitter; either it works or it doesn't.
    The included tester with the watch checks transmission any time you want to check it.

12. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    PS; one thing I like about the Emergency series is that Breitling is the ONLY company that has anything like it.
    Every other watch out there has a competitor; tourbilion, moonphase, whatever..

13. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I do not think the local watch shops replace batteries or service them.I think they have to go back to breitling

14. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I know the main battery is accessible.
    For Breitling to charge $$$ for the other is probably a trick.
    They have you (me).

15. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    If you puchase it at Tourneau, the batteries are free for life

16. whatspeedlimit?

Sep 27, 2007
    Denver, Colorado
    well, I broke down and gave Breiting the go ahead today. Now I have to wait 6 weeks haha!

17. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Had you done it in April, it would have been done. :)

Was it free? btw the watch is worth a bit more than 1200

18. whatspeedlimit?

Sep 27, 2007
    Denver, Colorado
    #18 whatspeedlimit?, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This thread is a good reason to stick with good but ordinary mechanical and quartz watches.

$500+ for major on a Rolex is a big ouch but understandable; $1O to have a a regular quartz battery replaced at two or three year intervals pocket change; $500+ for a battery insane.

20. whatspeedlimit?

Sep 27, 2007
    Denver, Colorado
    We're all crazy,you know....Watches and the cars, It might be cheaper and more sensible to drive a honda....but tell me that an Italian V12 doesn't put a smile on your face when you shift from 3rd to 4th ;) Its well worth it I think.

21. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Good looking watch. It's my favorite variant of that model.

22. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That's the point - I'd rather spend the dough on the car than on maintaining a watch.

23. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    #23 SCousineau, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Breitling appears to have revised the Emergency into new Emergency II that uses the 406MHZ band. Breitling Emergency

This one also addresses the battery issue with a self test and self charging options.

These have a huge advantage over the SPOTs and PLBs in that being attached to one's wrist it not likely to be lost when needed.

These new features push the price up according to Gear Patrol to about $15K at: http://gearpatrol.com/2013/05/21/breakdown-breitling-emergency-2/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Thats good news for the old ones.
    And 51MM ?
    Does it have flotation device in it ?

25. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I would imagine the cost to change the battery also ensures the watch is pressure tested to make sure it's still water proof.