I was just at the 612 unveiling in NYC | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I was just at the 612 unveiling in NYC

Discussion in '612/599' started by squidracing, Dec 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Wasn't Luca there? According to ferrari.com he was in attendance at the event.

2. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Yes he was there.

3. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It was mentioned in an earlier post that the 612 wasn't started at the unveiling in Italy. I was talking to Luca when he hopped in the car, started it up and pulled forward a few feet. The sound was nothing to write home about, which puts it on par with the styling. The audience response to the unveiling of the car was lukewarm at best, as I stated in an earlier thread. I do agree with an earlier post stating the 456 is also bland. There is nothing exciting about either design, whether you've "studied design" or not. They are boring cars. The 612 will depreciate like a rock, just as the 456 has. Ferrari's track record with 4 seaters is mediocre, and the 612 won't change that.

4. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    ROTFLMAO

5. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    ...and look at Luca, he points at her and is laughing as well. :)

6. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    Martin, don't think the pic of Luca pointing was in NY, though I will tell you that the "skeleton" was fun to talk to and pretty bright. Imagine that the "skeleton" was the worst of the lot, then think what the rest must of been like! 612 was mediocre....the girls were hot!! BTW, it was interesting watching Luca suck up to Csaba Csere for a good part of the evening.

7. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    You know what, I have no doubt she is. It was just funny as a comment. I was thinking the same think though I know better. Just my assessment that if you have this body you should not wear these dresses. She certainly has a supermodel body but then these dresses don't look good on those girls as well. And to be clear here...that is only MY opinion and I am sure there is others out there disagreeing. At the end of the day it is what is inside and that can be very "attractive".

8. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    And then....why did I get my invite a day after the event???? Almost looks like they did not want me there :)

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    You're right - I'd like to know what's inside those hands on your avatar.

Interesting how people don't cream their pants when they see a 4-seater. As if. The way I see it, starting with the archetype - the pattern followed of 4-seater Ferraris is a dichotomy of the oh, so desirable Virgin/Whore.

10. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    teak360

>you've "studied design" or not. They are boring cars.

Eroticism appears as a relation between clothing + nudity. (or consult wax's exposition below)
    If you prefer Playboy I agree, they are boring.

As far as devaluation, reasons exist undoubtedly.
    Is it the design? ... Is the Testarossa boring for you?

Despite your "boring" verdict, the 612 is a superb accompaniment to the 360, more so than the 575.

>The sound was nothing to write home about

Nor is the 360's with stock exhaust.

Elsewhere you mention that the 612 is big.

As is the 360. (americans are big?)

>Ferrari's track record with 4 seaters is mediocre, and the 612 won't change that.

This is perfectly normal. Do you expect Ferrari to sell more 12's than 8's?
    More 4 seaters than 2 seaters? More elegant models than sport models?
    Contemplate the repercussions.

Would I purchase a 612? No.
    Nevertheless, between a 575 and a 612, I would select the 612, pity about the interior.

someone else

>I also attended the unveiling and loved the car as an GT car but would not give up my spider for it.

>I agree. I'll keep my 355 Spider, thank you. These "gentleman's" Ferraris remind me of a line from the
    >Rocky movies where Mickey tells Rocky, "ya done the worst thing a fighter can do, Rock, ya got civilized".
    >My 355 is a loud, rude, aggressive, in-your-face Clubber Lang, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

360 vs 612? 355 vs 612? They aren't remotely in the same class.
    Loud, rude, aggressive, smelly, do try a carbureted Ferrari, eg. a Boxer.
    The 355 is civilized.

>in-your-face Clubber Lang, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Let me ask you this, do you feel that the Brandenburg concertos complement the 612 better than the 355?
    What about http://pnemcova.kmmod.com/fashion/original/fa059.jpg

RacerNika

>I'll certainly let him know how much you disagree

Pas mal mais, she knows him as well
    http://www.god-emil.dk/=cw4t7abs/dg/00.jpg

Since ... you enjoy racing and pushing objects out of the way.

>love to read your piece....

I write, you are welcome to find it if you like.

-

Will not peruse the article in its entirety again, however some observations about one paragraph in particular.

"Now, Ferrari had ventured into the world of four seats before,
    but with a clutch of cars in the 1970s such as the 308GT4, 2+2 Mondial
    and the 400 that somehow seemed boring. Neither their looks nor their
    performance awakened the senses like that of other Ferraris, and
    their value drained away."

1. may care to remove the rather frequent "now"s (I presume you do not wish the baron to accelerate away, before you can push him away)

2. 1970 date. As recall Ferrari has had 4 seaters prior to,
    and, as the 612, they were upfront 12's (ideas may be circulating).

3. "like that of other Ferraris" - we may deduce you are alluding to the 3x8gtb/s. we may/may not be correct.

4. "their value drained away." - if our deduction is correct, the assertion isn't entirely true.
    costs are comparable to 3x8's, popularity notwithstanding
    (most people live their life, few imagine it - vis a vis "in your face" popularity)

5. the 612 is lovely. but it is not SEX, and it will not reveal itself, like the 3x8gtb/s. it must be unveiled.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." - Einstein
    "Art should never try to be popular. The public should try to make itself artistic." - Wilde

One does not have to celebrate, nor even like the 612, but one should understand it.
    Else, as monsieur Wittgenstein has long ago suggested, we must remain silent about that which cannot be spoken.

wax

>Interesting how people don't cream their pants when they see a 4-seater. As if.
    >The way I see it, starting with the archetype - the pattern followed of 4-seater Ferraris
    >is a dichotomy of the oh, so desirable Virgin/Whore.

Loyalty is the wildest of all debaucheries.

Regards

11. RacerNika

RacerNika Karting

Dec 2, 2003
    Ontogeneric....

I thought this was a critique of the 612 - not of my style of writing.....

I appreciated any pointers you had - creative writing was not a course I studied at university, archaeology was, and I certainly agree we all need improvement in our grammar, spelling and sentence structure.

Without refering to quotes from the dead my dear, you must be a terrible bore at parties.

12. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Ontogenterik - Give it a rest, you sound childish and pompous.

The review was well written and a balanced point of view on the 612. I for one enjoyed it. Now if you are looking for perfect English - go and read Macbeth and critique it on another forum. If you disagree with the content, just state your viewpoint and move on. No need to try and display your superior English skills here - this aint no language forum.

Nika, thanks for posting. Please continue to do so.

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Rod
    You put it too kindly.
    Nika
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2560
    I liked your article.
    Best
    James

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    OK, I'm lukewarm on the car, lukewarm on the blond model, but I think Luca's suit is impeccable. I'm gonna get one of those. LOL

Obviously, it's a passion for cars, art, style, and love that have us all on
    the Ferrari 2 + 2 thread in the first place. I've got kids to haul around!
    No golf clubs, we've got surf boards on a roof rack.

Why do all the new posters fail to provide a profile? You guys need to show some manners! Think there's a reason for the lack of feminine participation here?

You guys are being a little rough, IMO.

FWIW, Nika and I race the same way. You don't need to push anyone if your runnin' in FRONT!

Speedy for President!

15. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    i did end up seeing the article in car mag and would agree that the 612 in those pictures look so much better than the renderings they released to press earlier. as for the styling it isn't very loud but wouldn't the V12 upfront make up for that type of thing? in more ways than one i might add.

16. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It is a four seater but not a four door, it is BIG and heavy. The excuse for it being big and heavy is that it is aimed at the American market, if this is true then it should have four doors. I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs. It is a pain getting into the back seats.
    The new Maserati Quattroporte is a much better looking car and it has four doors. It's what you need for going to a formal dinner with four people.
    No matter which one you buy, you are going to take a HUGE hit on depreciation. 612 new = $250,000, at 2 years old it will be $125,000.
    If you drive the car 3,000 miles a year figure $20/mile in depreciation the first couple of years.
    The cost of ownership of an Enzo would be less.

17. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe

Luciano - you are obviously a very bright and extremely well-read person. In addition to Ferraris, you are well-versed in philosophy, science, politics, art, design and probably a hundred other disciplines.

Yet you have never made a post to FChat that wasn't either cryptic, inane, condescending, arrogant, rude or just plain gibberish.

Why?

Do you subscribe to the immature belief that the more incomprehensible you are, the more intellectual you appear? I already know that you are an intellectual - now please apply some of that brain power to being clear and concise.

18. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Joe V

>Why?
    >
    >Do you subscribe to the immature belief that the more incomprehensible you are, the more intellectual you appear?

"Being ambigous, we are deemed confused, rather than praised for the complexity of the order in our minds."

>I already know that you are an intellectual

http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/2970/115

>- now please apply some of that brain power to being clear and concise.

The reasons were inadvertently explained in my impression of the 612, if so inclined may consult above.

Succinct, brilliantly concrete synopsis (albeit less so than wax's): Confusion is sexy. The 612 ... use your imagination.

Napolis

>You put it too kindly.

With a handful of laundry pins (possibly mirrors) one doesn't need teeth.

RacerNika

>Without referring to quotes from the dead my dear, you must be a terrible bore at parties.

"While the new Scaglietti initially struck me as another dull example of a Ferrari sedan, a closer look ..."

Living mirrors are as confusing as those 2+2 12's of bygone eras.

rodsky

>Give it a rest, you sound childish and pompous.

Ruffling one's feathers is perfectly acceptable. As is the incoming tax incurred.

>Nika, thanks for posting. Please continue to do so.

Absolutely. I hadn't realized this was a concern. "YAWN" "Ontogeneric...." - nor did she apparently.
    Apropos "YAWN" "Ontogeneric...." - at times the xy ego lives approx 1m above that.

Regards

19. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    In one of his books Douglas Adams pointed out that while some very intelligent people will, at times, come across as idiots you should remember that genuine idiots will also come across as such.

20. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Lets get this straight:

Matt GOES to the unveilling in NYC. He makes a write up on his experience and his feelings. Others that DID go chip in. Nika presents her feelings at the Italy unveilling that she DID attend.

You may or may not agree with what these people felt when they ACTAULLY saw the car in person.

Slinging insults, personal attacks at one or more members can neither be constructive nor do I see it as "intellectual". Dumb maybe, but help us all if that is "intellect", for there can not be much left!

21. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Ontogenetik reminds me of Amir from the "old" F-chat.
    Same type of chat-masterbater. Anyone know??

22. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    DAVE .......... LOL

PROBABLY RIGHT, I THOUGHT GARY GREEN BUT TO SMART FOR THE WRITING...NOT HIS M.O.

BRUCE

23. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Nika:
    Good review. Also glad to see that you made it though cyberspace to the new fchat.

I think of you every time I get another Gariot's catalog (which seems to be weekly)!

24. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well, Luciano, I'm glad we had this chance to interact. It's all clear to me now; the answer is definitely "42" and of course, please feel free to make mine a cheeseburger. Oh, and yes, I see your point about Linux.

Finally, re.
    Do you, like me, feel that M.Wittgenstein was referring to being trapped in a packed elevator beside someone whom you suspect has just farted? You want to accuse him/her, but you know you should remain silent. I thought so.

Yours in ambiguous, beautiful, complex, sexy, intemellectual, edumacated confusion,

Joe

25. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Gee Martin, your quote here doesn't seem to reflect your postings regarding the FOC Florida Region and myself. Try to be consistent in your feelings and posts so you don't appear to be talking out of both sides of your mouth.

KevFla