I was just at the 612 unveiling in NYC | Page 3 | FerrariChat

I was just at the 612 unveiling in NYC

Discussion in '612/599' started by squidracing, Dec 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I, for one, have been following that thread with great interest.
    As anyone else who is impartial to the discussion can attest:

Your comment regarding Martin is incorrect. Rather, it is KevFla who - if nothing else, is guilty of "slinging insults & personal attacks" while discussing the unfinished business at hand during the course of the FOC discussion. Martin has remained above "board" at all times, and presented facts for consideration.

Disclaimer #1: I felt this was the case before you made this reply, so much so that I had commented to my woman of significance that Martin's restraint during the course of that discussion was (and remains) admirable.

Disclaimer #2: I've never had any communication with Martin via PM or email. Yet were I inclined to do business with a Florida dealer, I would deal with Martin in a heartbeat because he (has earned his) leads by example - an honest and straightforward man gets my approval.

Tip #1: Leave that discussion there.

Tip #2: Before pulling the trigger, make sure the gun is out of the holster.

2. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
  3. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
  4. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Do people spending 1/4 of a million on this car care about depreciation or rather the enjoyment of ownership..

if a four door is desired..yes the new maserati is an interesting option..

Your lucky you got to see the new ferrari recently released.. I bet it was quite an experience.

Congrats!

JB

5. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I completely agree! All this Ontogenmoronic person has done on F-chat is take snippets from other people's posts and try to sound smart or critique their English. Gimmee a break.

Ontogenmoronic - Here's a solution. Keep doing it - you obviously enjoy it. However, once you have completed formulating a response (with all your inane quips) and you have had your sh!ts and giggles - just don't hit the "submit reply" button. That way everyone's a winner.

6. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Ontogenmoronic- If speaking cryptically is sexy, then you're a bloody supermodel sweet-cheeks.

Nika- don't pay any attention to him. Just some under-sexed teen-aged dolt who found mommy's dictionary. He does not speak for us here at F-chat who enjoy your contributions to the forum.

New possability: he's a regular's alter-ego that said regular is too embarased to reveal publically.

Now critique my spelling, watch how much I care toots!

Oh, cool that you got to see the 612. I'm luke-warm on the 400s, though I'd take a convertible with manual tranny.

I love the 456GT for exactly everything it is. And I hope the 612 will live up to that car.

Best!
    Ben.

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    They do and they don't. Some buy what they want and drive them until it's time to throw them out. For those depreciation doesn't matter.
    If you lease it matters as if risidual is too low per month is too high.
    Some people don't mind taking a 125K hit in 2 years for others it lessens the experience.
    There is a lot of competion out there and some things F does mystify me.
    For example this weeks Autoweek has an article about driving a Maser Spyder. An 02. The 02's have cowl shake and baulky trans. These problem have been fixed. Why didn't they get Autoweek an 03 or an 04 which is futher improved?
    Beats Me...

8. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    >TO SMART FOR THE WRITING...NOT HIS M.O.

to -> TOO

>I think of you every time I get another Gariot's catalog (which seems to be weekly)!

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/132929/337308.html

-

Ben Cannon

>New possability:

http://www.cannontheatre.com

>He does not speak for us

I speak for one. Do you ... need "us"

Cavallino Motors

>Slinging insults, personal attacks at one or more members can neither be constructive
    >nor do I see it as "intellectual".

Excellent point.

>Dumb maybe, but help us all if that is "intellect",
    >for there can not be much left!

Naming things does create the illusion of security.

Joe V

>It's all clear to me now;
    >the answer is definitely
    >and of course,
    >Do you, like me, feel
    >I thought so."

Excellent point.

>Yours in ambiguous, beautiful, complex, sexy, intemellectual, edumacated confusion,

... Thank you

davem

>Ontogenetik reminds me of Amir from the "old" F-chat.

Excellent point. Does the 612 remind you of ... yourself?

http://www.comp.hkbu.edu.hk/IAT/iat99/tutorials2.html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12088563&dopt=Abstract

teak360's persuasive lecture on natural selection

>No matter which one you buy, you are going to take a HUGE hit on depreciation. 612 new = $250,000,
    >at 2 years old it will be $125,000.
    >If you drive the car 3,000 miles a year figure $20/mile in depreciation the first couple of years.
    >The cost of ownership of an Enzo would be less.

A slightly different lecture, on sexual selection ... perchance equally pertinent.

Sexual selection adores excess, extravagant and wasteful displays. These are handicaps
    (eg. sex hormones sabotage the immune system). Handicaps are reliable fitness indicators.
    HUGE Handicaps are particularly reliable. (eg. Ferrari maintenance costs)

Sexual selection has evolved the human brain,
    an organ that represents 2 percent of human body weight, yet consumes 25 percent of
    human metabolic energy and 40 percent of blood glucose.

It is the fitness indicator in humans precisely because
    it is metabolically expensive, incurs the highest mutation rate (mutations
    are generally harmful) and assembles our insatiable (and generally irrational) desires.

Unsurprisingly, sexual choice has also selected for kindness.
    Kindness (HUGE Handicap) is always ranked as the most desirable human attribute.

>HUGE hit on depreciation.

Romantic gifts are mostly useless to the women who receive them and expensive to the men who purchase them,
    flowers that fade, candles that burn, overpriced dinners and walks on exotic beaches.

They do not improve a woman's survival prospects as much as they reduce a man's bank account.
    The fact that a diamond is durable does not make it a biologically relevant material for a woman.
    If she desired the diamond as a purely material benefit she would not mind if the man
    purchased it on sale from a mail order catalog. In reality, she wishes him to pay the full retail cost.
    Moral people may not consider male generosity moral, but to a woman receiving a romantic gift it is a capital virtue.

In conclusion, a potentially (since, after all, we still have a poor memory of the future) "HUGE hit on depreciation"
    can be an attribute.

Joe V

>It's all clear to me now;

Only that which has not been understood is worth understanding.

Regards.

9. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Internet trolls crack me up.

Ontogenetik - go pound a big pile of sand up your arse.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

10. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Some excellent points by this virtual Uberman, Ontogenetik.

" I speak for one. Do you ... need us"

"Naming things does create the illusion of security"

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Where on earth did you get this from, Onogenetik? Some of your other posts have been worthwhile - kind of funny and provocative. But, then I got to this and I thought - man, he's just making **** up. Naming things in fact does create security - there's no illusion about it. It seems to me, Ontogenetik, that your knowledge is just a bit more limited than you seem to think.

Anyone with an up to date knowledge of language (i.e. the last 30 years) is aware of performative utterances - language does not have any essential meaning; rather, meaning is CREATED by the utterance and/or by the act of reading: hence, the term "speach act."

Under such a system, to name has great power. Look at any feminist/Marxist/gender/post-Colonial theory, and you will see that to name is to to hold epistemic power, to wield mediating conventions. If you have read any Derrida, you will know that meaning is only relative - the idea of differerance emphasizes the idea of DEFERAL. For example, something is only black because it is NOT white - meaning is deferred onto another, and meaning is therefore relative to that other. In all these schemes, naming is crucial, because to name is to get the power to define yourself in terms of that other, and to try to control the polysemy of an essentially arbitrary system of signification.

If some of this was not familiar to you, Ontogenetik, I suggest you read Jonathan Culler, Derrida, Lacan, and Judith Butler. And please stop posting comments about language when you don't even have a fundamental grasp of post-modern linguistic or literary theory.

12. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    And I hope it was clear, davem, that this was not directed at you - I just quoted you because it was easier than teasing out the phrase from his three mile long post.

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    And what the hell does this mean? My knowledge of the term "ontogeneric" is that it refers to arguments used by gay Christians to justify their sexual orientation, arguing that it was inborn. Are you trying to make some vague reference to homosexuality?

14. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Onto:
    <<(eg. sex hormones sabotage the immune system).>>

I beg to differ with you, but it is nicely documented in the literature that they upregulate immune responsiveness. I'd love to get into a lively discussion of cytokines with you, but I would require a bit better quotations of sources.

I find it odd you reduce everything to sex time and again. I also wonder why you chastise, yet never educate, leaving only unattributed quotes. To those which are deemed not of your intellectual calibre, one could easily argue you should elevate, rather than confound, or one only espouses quotes for self gratification.

"if you love something, let it go...if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it..." Hunter Thompson

15. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Waht is it with people , and posting after tapping the Blotter sheet?

16. VanCooper

VanCooper Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2002
    Lets see some pictures of this unveiling...at last!

17. abavai

abavai Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    The ferrari 612 scaglietti was shown at Barcelona (Spain) a few days ago. Two cars in silver and rosso fiorano.
    If you want to see pictures to do click in this web:
    www.geocities.com/elenaferrari

18. abavai

abavai Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    The ferrari 612 scaglietti was shown at Barcelona (Spain) a few days ago. Two cars in silver and rosso fiorano.
    If you want to see pictures to do click in this web:
    www.geocities.com/elenaferrari

19. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Is it possible for you to post the pics? The Geocities site is down from too much traffic.

20. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Never mind - I got in.

21. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Man, this car is not exciting at all.

The front end has a real BMW Z8 roll to it, doesn't it? The engine looks a lot like the 550/575 engine - interesting, eh?

22. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I agree it doesn't look that exciting but lets and see..Maybe our opinion will change.

23. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Well I though I would like it, but after seeing the pictures I really don't think I like it much. Too bad, it is a nice platform.

24. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Hey Onto -

You might want to spend less time finding obscure quotes, and more time using the quotes correctly.

HTML = your friend.

25. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    See, it's easy!