I was just at the 612 unveiling in NYC | Page 4 | FerrariChat

I was just at the 612 unveiling in NYC

Discussion in '612/599' started by squidracing, Dec 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
  2. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
  3. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
  4. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
  5. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
  6. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
  7. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
  8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    612 + Designated driver + 3 slightly Inebriated passengers = Good times.

9. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    >Onto:
    ><<(eg. sex hormones sabotage the immune system).>>
    >
    >I beg to differ with you,

How do you do.

Having escaped the macrophages + B cells, are you perchance a T cell?
    Perhaps my member name will metamorphose into "Antigen" ...

Thank you for pointing out the somewhat erroneous "sabotage" comment.

>but it is nicely documented in the literature that they upregulate immune responsiveness.

I would be interested in perusing any literature you wish to share.

From my research, I infer that estrogen upregulates immune responsiveness,
    whilst testosterone downregulates it, albeit indirectly.

Naturally, science continually upregulates its efficacy
    and proves that it had previously proved true, false.

Zahavi had argued that ornaments used as quality indicators must be costly to maintain.
    Folstad/Karter suggested that male ornaments would be costly if they required
    the presence of a hormone, testosterone, which would exert immunosuppressive effects.

More recent research indicates testosterone does not itself exert immuno-suppressive effects,
    rather, indirectly, by encouraging dominant behaviour and increasing territorial aggression,
    it modulates corticosteroid production. Protracted high levels of corticosteroids markedly
    sabotage the immune system. Unsurprisingly, higher corticosteroid production downregulates T production.

Wild animals have increased testosterone and corticosteroids levels during the mating rut.
    In humans, higher testosterone levels, correlate with higher rates of alcoholism, drug use,
    high risk behavior, etc, which manifest in higher corticosteroids levels.
    Likewise, human males have a greater variation in IQ than females.
    Deviations from social norms may result in increased corticosteroids levels.

Generally speaking, sexual reproduction is extravagantly expensive.
    It has however, gifted us higher order consciousness, language, love, ourselves.

>I'd love to get into a lively discussion of cytokines with you, but I would require a bit better quotations of sources.

Sure, and an opportune timing it is, the chromosome 6 sequencing having been recently completed.
    Fascinating that out of ~1500 genes our immune system manufactures the self and non-self.

Likewise that the uterus is an "immunologically privileged" site where immune responses are subdued.
    And, in the womb, a fetus can accept foreign tissue as part of itself. Self / non-self (interesting vis a vis ...)

The Rilke quote below is very apropos as well ...

>I also wonder why you chastise, yet never educate, leaving only unattributed quotes.

Would you ask a cytokine that? The 'ego' is an immune system of sorts?
    In reality, it may be said, I am part way through the
    "The Bicycle Thief" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040522/

>"if you love something, let it go...if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it..." Hunter Thompson

Rilke

"A good marriage is one in which each partner appoints the other to be
    guardian of his solitude, and thus they show each other the greatest possible trust.
    A merging of two people is an impossibility, and where it seems to exist, it is a
    hemming-in, a mutual consent that robs one party or both parties of their fullest
    freedom and development. But once the realization is accepted that even between the
    closest people infinite distances exist, a marvelous living side-by-side
    can grow up for them, if they succeed in loving the expanse between them, which gives
    them the possibility of always seeing each other as a whole before an immense sky."

Regards.

10. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Impeccable as the timing may be the place hardly is. Allow me to point out the subject of this thread which is the unveiling of the 612 in NYC. Perhaps you have noticed the Off Topic forum where diverse subjects such as the immune system and mediocre Italian films can be discussed at length.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    OK, I'll take the 612 in red, the model with that one is nicer than NYC, and Luca's suit in a 42L, please.

Thanks to zjpj, and stokpro for the photos.

Tell the kids to keep the ice cream off the seats!!

Did you guys update your profiles??? My mom won't let me talk with characters from 'Toon Town.

OFF TOPIC is over thataway >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    So are the turn signals the amber bits inside the 'outer' rings, or are the rings still the turn indicators (suggesting that the orange bits are just reflectors)?

--Dan

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    "From my research, I infer that estrogen upregulates immune responsiveness, whilst testosterone downregulates it, albeit indirectly. "

So, you are implying that to achieve a balanced and healthy life, that one should trade hormones with another often?

14. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    You have now witness to one of the greatest wonders of the internet. The downward spiral into the world of offtopic.

However staying on topic, I personally would not buy the car for myself. I would definitly buy it for a wife/girlfriend if I had the money and use it as a family car. Does anyone know that deep red color in the pics?

15. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I believe it is Rosso Fiorano, or a new color similar. The lighting is not great, but it has the same tones. Rear fender is indistinct, and grille/hood a bit featureless, needs som aggression...uberhol prestige.

16. Bolicious

Bolicious Rookie

Dec 2, 2003
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Bo Kristensen
    Thanks for the pics stokpro. I thought this thread was just going to turn into a bunch of people arguing on the internet.

I dunno. I can't afford one, but I think the new 612 is a great looking car. I really like the funky interior.