IAG - Bad Experience | Page 3 | FerrariChat

IAG - Bad Experience

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Allen F, Sep 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Just thought I would chime in here as I have first hand experience as a prior customer of Jason and IAG. I bought a car from them roughly 2 years ago and they performed a full engine out service prior to the sale. The car arrived and it was everything they said it was. Unfortunately my mechanic found a leak. I called Jason and without hesitation he wanted to fix it including having the car picked up from me and shipping it back across the country, sorting out the problem, and shipping it back to me. IAG went WAY out of their way to make sure I was happy. You don't see that type of service much these days. My opinion is that it would be a pleasure to do business with them again.

2. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    I got there as the car was backing out of the trailer so I didn't see them start it. It was running and remained running for some time to warm it up as it was quite cold that day. My memory's not that great (that's why I take so many photos), but I believe the car was shut off and restarted at least once while I was there. The no start issue came up after the buyer took the car home (not far away) - I wasn't there to witness that and I was also not involved in the troubleshooting and repairs that followed.

3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Learnings today in this thread:

Allen is a broker, not even a principal in the deal or owner.

IAG says they had all of the post PPI identified issues completed and provided supporting details.

Allen says they did not but provides no details.

Net for me: would be fine doing business with IAG based on things in this thread.

4. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Still wondering: what repair(s) do you maintain were "jimmy-rigged?"

Also, do you believe that IAG should be responsible if the PPI did not discover all issues?

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Well, at this point I am curious if Allen has ever even seen the car in person.

6. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Yes, I've seen the car in person.

7. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    +1.

I would proceed with the same caution as I would any other classic car transaction whether with dealer or private party. IAG seems to have done well by what's presented here - although no first hand experience with them, I wouldn't hesitate.

Ruben

8. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    #58 Allen F, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No, I don't think IAG is responsible for a PPI not covering "all" issues. I do, however, believe that IAG knowing concealed the mechanical condition of this vehicle. I don't believe for one second that IAG was unaware of these basic issues. This is NOT a case of "oh my we had no idea". Even more basically, I think a reputable dealer should take calls from customers, instead the won't even discuss issues. How could IAG possibly know the extent of issues when they stopped communicating LONG ago. It seemed clear to me sending additional written documentation etc was futile (crazy even) until I could at least get a dialog going.

Here are a few photos that I could get my hands on this morning showing "replaced" 02 sensors that are clearly NOT new and taped in place, badly burnt and shorted out electrical panel easily veiwable (I am certain this was concealed by IAG) and the internal contents of "brand new complete exhaust system" clearly NOT new.:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    I'm glad you had positive experiences with IAG.

I did not have a good experience and spent months trying to get even a return call - this is why I'm mentioning MY experience so others will be cautions.

10. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Again, my point of this is for others to proceed with caution.

11. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    #61 Allen F, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    The value was a discount off the asking price in excess of $20,000.

Every transaction that occurs between me (the purchaser with my own funds) and the ultimate end buyer is completely transparent. EVERY document, email and exchange is shared between me and the customer that purchase from me; I add zero markup to the vehicle instead charging a flat fee.

I perform follow up after the sale is complete (in a case such as this) when most dealers would give months before.

I do what I promise, my reputation speaks for itself. After selling more than 900 vehicles (in VERY private transactions) I have NEVER had an unhappy customer.

12. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Those are O2 sensors?

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #63 sherpa23, Oct 1, 2016
    I used a broker in the past and it made complete sense. The broker I used viewed the car in person (multiple times), researched the car's ownership history, consulted the factory, and accessed some really important factory documents that I could never hope to obtain. I couldn't proceed without the broker's help and knowledge plus he transacted the deal. In this case, it sounded like the client found the car and made inquiries to buy it and then a broker got involved and didn't see the car in person, hence my curiosity. Maybe this is a sign that I've bought too many cars on my own.

I don't know the ins and outs of anyone else's business and it's great that you have 900 happy clients but based on how this thread was presented and followed up on, it's a logical question to ask. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has the same sentiment, even if I was the only one to state it publicly.

14. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    #64 Allen F, Oct 1, 2016
    As a reminder ***I did not start this thread, a moderator did***.

Originally, I posted a comment on a "for sale" ad because IAG is new to F-Chat. I have personally had a bad experience with the seller and wanted others reading the for sale ad to be cautions.

Again, I did not start this thread, a moderator did without my consent.

15. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Also, I've receive PM's and emails from other F-chatters who reported similar experiences with IAG in cars they either purchased or almost purchased. For those who almost purchaed they had to fight like heck to get their deposits back after promises made by IAG couldn't or wouldn't be verified.

I suspect those F-Chat members are remaining silent so that they don't have to PROVE their experience. My warning about IAG is cautionary so others do NOT experience what I did.

16. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    You posted on 8 separate sale ads, not one. That normally qualifies you for a ban. As a courtesy I consolidated the multiple violations of posting policy into a single thread rather than ban you.

And were you going to repeat that warning to every future reader of every future ad that IAG would ever post again? That would have been very tiresome to the community.

And were you going to refuse to comment further when questioned on umpteen IAG ads as readers wondered what was the actual experience? That would have been misleading.

And were you going to update every future reader on the various different directions that each thread would take so that every reader who you caused to question IAG would get the same picture from all the various different threads? That would have been inconsistent and confusing.

The fact is once you post, we don't require your consent to do whatever we choose to your post. Your approach was spamming. Your approach would lead to confusion. Your approach wouldn't have prevented the same kind of comments you're getting now, but on umpteen threads going all different ways.

Where you posted wouldn't have made any difference to the exchange between you and IAG and the readers wondering what happened, except it would have taken place piecemeal. So get real and own what you post.

17. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I bought a TR from IAG two years ago and it was a fine transaction

18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Shortened to save space and time ... :D

Allen,

Yin initially did you a favor, a BIG favor, by not deleting your posts and giving you a temp ban. Instead he gave you a forum to make your case.

You've managed to cluster **** that into a thread that takes your claim apart, bit by bit, by the very guy you were trying to smack down.

If you can convince some of these unnamed folks who have PM'd you to post here, it might bolster you position. Otherwise, you're out on an island, a lonely island.

D

19. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Allen how come the buyer isn't posting here?

20. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Thank you for this shining a spotlight on this. I would never, ever, buy a car from Allen F. (Or use him as a broker)

21. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    The photographs posted by Allen depict a cratered converter core and a semi-melted boot on one of the O2 sensor connectors. There's a good chance that those two are connected, and very easily could be indicative of running (even idling) the car with an ignition miss or a problem that caused a rich condition on at least one bank.

It's a safe assumption that the dealership actually changed the O2 sensors if they billed for it. That's not something that's easy to hide even if they were the types to engage in that sort of thing, and there's certainly no evidence to suggest that they would be.

In that case the damage to the O2 sensor boot took place in the time that IAG had the car before it was transported, or it took place after it left IAG's custody. I don't recall anything being posted which would provide any evidence as to when the boot might have been melted, but we do know that the car has been out of IAG's custody a good bit longer than they had it after the O2 sensors were replaced.

22. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    #72 Allen F, Oct 1, 2016
    How do you suppose that Yin (the moderator) did me a favor? Yin removed my post(s) in the for sale section and started a thread without even telling me. I had to inquire why my posts were deleted and that's how I was informed that a Thread was created. I totally get that if I had STARTED a thread slamming a dealer then I should back it up and post everything I can - but I didn't do that!

Can't see that my intention was to post MY first-hand information about a dealership to help other potential buyers on a car listed for sale?

23. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Despite everyone on here thinking F-Chat is the center of the universe (meant in humor) ... the ultimate buyer isn't on F-chat.

24. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

or worse, a permanent one. He cut you some major slack, which he didn't have to do. Could have just deleted your posts and banned your rear end.

Instead, you got a chance to make your case and 'warn' us all about the potential hazard, even after violating a cardinal rule, NO SPAMMING.

So, there's your answer. You're still here, right?

D

25. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #75 ylshih, Oct 1, 2016
    In other words, you wanted to be able to slam a seller but not have to back it up. :cool:

You're being naive, that's not how it would have worked. IAG would have responded in their own defense in their ads and the same discussion would be taking place on 8 different ads.