I'd like to put this out there... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I'd like to put this out there...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Texas Forever, Jun 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Of course, Marcel has it exactly right. Over a decade ago I sold a unique Ferrari with world-renowned provenance via David Gooding's first Pebble Beach Auction. I negotiated with David not only his organization's commission but also the reserve price for the sale - for rare cars an issue at least as important as the reserve. To both my dismay and pleasure the car sold and I received sufficient, net of commission and capital gains tax, to acquire an F355, a 412 5-speed, a Maserati Spyder, a 575M and a Cadillac STS-V.

Davesvt2000 and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    from a purely investment point of view, how much has your old ferrari appreciated relative to the group of cars you bought?

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    In addition to the reputable major auction houses there are also a few reputable dealers and brokers with international clientele who are capable of maximizing the return to the beneficiaries of an estate sale of a valuable/rare classic car or a collection of cars.

4. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    There are two answers: one, about a year-and-a-half after the Gooding sale the car sold at Bonham's Scottsdale Auction at a hammer price of $800,000. plus 10% buyer's commission, so $880K. At least double the combined value of the group. But no regrets whatever; I owned, drove and savored my 365GTC for almost a third of a century! And was responsible for its mechanical restoration by Nereo Iori and its cosmetic restoration by southern California master auto painter Bill deCarr. It was even the occasion for me to meet Piero Ferrari and Sergio Pininfarina. What more can one ask?

I believe that the car is still in the ownership of the Bonhams buyer.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/attachments/365gtc-piero-ferrari-jpg.3343930/?temp_hash=0ee8c642c214bc229f2cb98998f294e3

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Bobbcraft

Bobbcraft Rookie

Jun 6, 2022
    Full Name:
    Robert Alloway
    Hi Marcel,

I'm investigating the purchase of a 1972 246 GT. VIN 03776. This car will need a full restoration, runs and drives however, the seller said he has all original date coded parts for it. The seller does not know the original ext/int color. The car is currently white with black interior and has been in storage for many years. Could you possibly help with the VIN de code?

Thank you.

6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #31 miurasv, Jun 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    Not answering for the maestro himself Marcel Massini of course but see second post in thread here regarding #03776.

Bobbcraft likes this.
  7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Furgetaboutit. I was just thinking out loud.

8. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    There is really too much to think/worry about...enjoy it, then think about letting others enjoy it.

I have been quite happy over the years selling some of my cars that I truly love. It almost feels great in a way like doing charity work...I know, weird, but quite a satisfying feeling