I'd like to see some Meraks! | Page 36 | FerrariChat

I'd like to see some Meraks!

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by senna21, Feb 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I dont know... that is a lot of money for a RHD Merak. May be the article was designed for the flip.
    I cant help shake my head to see a car sold at 50K BP at a public auction and then 50% more a few days later privately. Buyers are not that stupid or may be everyone has lost the sense of asset appreciation.

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Over here I think that does hold or has someone found a rubber bumpered Merak with LHM?

With Detomaso anything is possible as they used whatever was left of the shelf for parts ...

3. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    We know that non designated SS Meraks received he higher performing SS engines, so it is not out of the realm of possibilities that a few rubber bumpered Meraks maybe slipped under the wire.

Just Sayin! :D

Ciao,
    George

4. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    #879 Serenissma, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    Mantorp park racetrack in 1985.

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #881 thecarnut, Apr 3, 2015
    This US rubber bumper Merak had LHM.

Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Looks clean but is it an SS?

8. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    I know that car! Nice car, but not an SS.

The SS among other things did away with the spare tire hump. The hump BTW was a result of one of those great DOT mandates.

I'm 97.3% sure that no USA designated SS had any LHM. Then again there could be one or two lurking out there somewhere trying to avoid detection.

Trying to stay off the grid and flying under the radar.

Ciao,
    George

9. DNO 246L

DNO 246L Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    DNO 246L
    #884 DNO 246L, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    The plot thickens! That very late RHD yellow Merak SS is now being re-offered AGAIN by Bonhams, this time in their Goodwood Festival of Speed Sale on June 26 !! Here is the new listing:
    Bonhams : 1982 Maserati Merak SS Coupé Chassis no. AM122A 655

I'm guessing that the dealer (Amari, who bought it at the last Bonhams sale for £52,800) must have got Bonhams to take it back for some reason, because the Bonhams website is now showing it in the results of that last sale as unsold !

Nothing seems to have changed between the two auctions as regards how the car is marketed - the price estimate is the same (£35k - £45k), the text describing the car is identical, and even the exact same set of photos are displayed.

I wonder what actually happened there??

10. hiltsuk

hiltsuk Karting

Dec 31, 2014
    London
    Interesting. They listed it for a day then pulled it. Looks like they got the sale cancelled.

11. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
    Guys.
    I am after a front LEFT fender for a Merak / Bora. Any help that can be offered in locating 1 in new or reasonable condition would be greatly appreciated.
    Greg

12. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    Did you see this one?

Maserati Bora Front Fender Merak Left | eBay

13. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    #888 Merak1974, Apr 28, 2015
  14. hiltsuk

hiltsuk Karting

Dec 31, 2014
    London
    Of course! Both cars looks amazing

15. Torech

Torech Rookie

May 4, 2015
    Hello
    I am the owner of the Maserati Merak AM122A1536 - dark blue - from France. The car is now in Denmark. Do you know any kind of history about that car so please tell me about it.
    T. Christensen

16. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    New owner😄. Please consider joining 'Google Merak group'. A lot of knowledge. They have put a Euro group meet on soon

17. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    I had a look at your car in the Merak Registry. Looks very nice in that color. I was intrigued by a couple of external details: (i) black bumpers, which I thought were introduced (much) later (yours is a quite early SS, a 1976 model, right?), and (ii) 1st version wheels; are they original? I wonder when the 2nd version wheels were introduced, must have been just about (a bit after...) your car was manufactured!

Cheers,
    Gabriel

18. carplanet

carplanet Rookie

Jul 10, 2012
    Considering the purchase of a late Merak SS with under 20k original miles. Very original. Car has been driven VERY sparingly by the owner over the last 20 years. Around 100 miles per year on average. Has been sitting mostly and likely needs a major service. Carbs rebuilt, fluids changed, etc... Any tips on what I should watch out for besides checking for rust everywhere? This will be my first Merak.

19. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Bragging about the Merak had done in Canada just caught up with me second short trip out. next morning I see a big puddle under the car. looks like a cooling line problem. I did not feel up to looking any futher

20. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Besides a general major service, you should also check fuel lines, and importantly, check whether the original sodium-filled valves have been replaced with ones with solid stems.

See also: http://merakgroup.com/

21. cardog

cardog Karting

Apr 23, 2012
    Beacon, NY 12508
    Full Name:
    Chris Ungaro
    I was just scrolling through this thread and saw my Merak. That was a car show in Scarsdale, NY many years ago 6,7, 9, 10? Not sure. To the right of me was a very, very, nice Khamsin. I think it had an Ostrich leather interior. The buildings in town have an old world type of flair. I'm not sure how old they are though.
    ...ooops, this was a reply for a post on page 6 or so.

22. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #897 71Satisfaction, Aug 10, 2017
    Here is a Merak SS I wanted to share, from a private party I attended last month here in NY.

The owner stated it is among the last Meraks produced, but I didn't get the chassis number.

What I found highly unusual was the complete lack of Citroen hydraulics. Not knowing any better, I remarked to the owner someone must have spent a lot on the conversion from hydraulic to conventional systems.. The owner said no - it was delivered this way from the factory.. I have no choice but to believe him. I only know Boras, of which he has two. Plus a QPI and QPIII. He was very clear the Merak was delivered this way from the factory.. no hydraulics. I was not aware Maserati moved away from the hydraulics in the Merak.
    Cheers,
    - Art

23. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Hi Art,

No LHM in (most) US-spec Merak SS. The last version of Euro-spec cars (the so-called Merak 80) did not have LHM hydraulics either.

Gabriel

24. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    That is correct, as Gabriel above already mentioned, US Merak SS cars came with the Bora dashboard and without citroen LHM.

It looks like a very nice car, the orange colour is very rare. There are few non-original items, like the windscreen wipers, the steering wheel and of course the half-finished conversion for EU-spec bumpers.

25. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thank you for the education, Gentlemen!

Indeed ... this observation is absolutely correct.. this is EXACTLY what the owner's collection is like... Lovely rare cars, with a few non-original details to make them his own. DeTomaso, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston, Maserati, Mercedes, Lagonda, Lancia, Jensen, and so forth... The owner himself is a super nice guy.

Ciao,
    - Art