Ideas for autumn solo trip (possibly to Europe but not 100% set on it) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ideas for autumn solo trip (possibly to Europe but not 100% set on it)

Discussion in 'Travel' started by AtomicPunk88, Jul 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    perfect idea. Question: Is that an "anytime of the year" trek, or is there a season for it?

Igat143 and AtomicPunk88 like this.
  2. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    People do it year round, but winter is quita harsh there. Fall is the ideal season

AtomicPunk88 and arizonaitalian like this.
  3. AtomicPunk88

AtomicPunk88 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brad
    "Do you want "me time" to just lose thought of the recent events and hang out by yourself?" Mostly this.

"Do you want an "I'm free and want to bang" trip?" But wouldn't say no to a bit of this either. :D

I am on the same page as you in terms of avoiding "romantic" places, partly because they are places where I might feel a bit awkward/depressed hanging around by myself at this juncture and partly because they seem to be worth saving for later and enjoying with someone else down the road.

I might be more interested in a road trip in the US if I actually had a fun car to drive at this point, but I do not yet. I am also not looking to spend a fortune (as nice as fly fishing in NZ sounds, I'll have to save that for later on).

For these reasons, I am taking a closer look at Ireland/Scotland where I have the option to hang around in some cool cities but may also take the opportunity to rent a vehicle and cruise some scenic roads, meet some locals in smaller villages, stop in some old pubs, etc. Continental Europe is also still tempting me though, although it would be less "new" to me and might involve much more aggravating travel plans under present circumstances.

It's still very much up in the air and subject to change though.

VAF84 and arizonaitalian like this.
  4. AtomicPunk88

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Anyone have any suggestions for rental of interesting cars in Scotland/Ireland? I found a couple of companies via Google search, but it was the all too familiar "put in all your contact info in order to get any information about price, etc." Interested in finding a reputable company to rent a cool vintage/luxury/exotic vehicle for perhaps a few days of cruising some scenic roads (although mindful of and hopeful that the whole "driving on the other side of the road" thing won't cause potentially expensive problems for me).

VAF84 likes this.
  5. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    I’m heading to Ireland right now. I’ll take a look. Rental cars are expensive here. Was going to buy something there that’s interesting, ship it back and try to flip or keep??
    That said insurance is very expensive for foreigners. To the point of a dealbreaker. Just in case you had similar ideas
    England for instance it’s cheap

AtomicPunk88 and VAF84 like this.
  6. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I believe if a credit card can handle the insurance aspect. At least with some like the Sapphire Reserve or United Club types. About ten years ago, I used insurance4carhire.com when I made my trips, the pricing wasn't bad.

Regarding the cars, Hertz has some pretty solid premium options, just not sure if they do in the area you will be in.

7. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    as a general rule, even though I have AMEX Platinum coverage for rentals and a very good policy with Amica, I load up on insurance renting cars in Euro. I recommend the smallest car you can get. Shifting with the "wrong" hand, driving on the left side, narrow roads, lorries and coaches coming from the opposite direction on roads more narrow than your driveway....no thanks.

8. AtomicPunk88

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brad
    This is my one hesitation, although I would probably rent something interesting for just a few days to be used for grand touring purposes on more major roads. I have no interest on this trip in trying to thread the needle with a Huracan or something on small village roads and courting disaster.

9. Kuba

Kuba Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    Skip Europe, you'll go there with a new girlfriend. Fly to Kathmandu, go for a trekk (ABC?). It's one of the experiences that can change a man. In a good way.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    One of my fellow retirees is about to leave on a trip to Peru and the Galapagos Islands.

herness likes this.