Idiot Racing League | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Idiot Racing League

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by brian.s, Apr 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    IMO, TG was afraid the megaOwners like Penske were going to monopolize the sport with the new tracks and he'd end up cashing a Penske paycheck........LOL!

AJ Foyt got a settlement from CART when he was subsequently ejected from the CART Board, as he was trying to keep a presence in both series...I believe this is correct?

So they were very close to some anti-monopoly laws at the time IMO only....

You cannot deny the historical meaning of the Indy Track itself, say what you want about the man as a member of the Lucky Sperm club....you can pour all the superspeedway ovals you want on farmland across America and you'll never buy that......

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I watched CART in the final years, raced in all four Downtown races here, and it was obvious to me the bean counters had taken over and had no ^*&%^%)&*ing idea what they were doing, with the "product"....as long as they had teams like Penske, Rahal, Forsythe and Haas it would 'work' but you could hear the gears grinding from block away.....

Glad it's all over, egos were fed, drinks were drank, and the damage was done....I had a cigar with Carl, myself...:)

3. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    not any more. top teams are spending 20m

4. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    The worst teams in F1 should be relegated (like in European football/soccer) to the IRL. Would certainly turn up the competition among the backmarkers.

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    CART was a great series. I knew they were finished when they hired that idiot CEO and went public, drained the money and went home. No professional sports sanctioning body has ever been successful as a public company, and those guys were smart enough to know that when they did it. Greed got in the way.

As for IRL, well, it's just another lame spec car series as far as I'm concerned. NASCAR is essentially spec car now too.

Jack.
    PS: Look for Sprint to exercise whatever escape clause it has in its NASCAR sponsorship contract within a year.