Idle Issue | FerrariChat

Idle Issue

Discussion in '348/355' started by tr0768, Jun 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Have an odity that shows up on rare occations. The other day while driving my 94 348 spyder I noticed the idle was smooth but just 800 rpm. This has happened twice now. All other times its spot on at 1000 rpm.

The motor was fully warmed up and I had just drove about 15 miles on country roads 35-40 mph. No cel, no overheating either oil or coolant. Smooth and steady idle, no fluctuations. Since have driven several times approx 50 miles 1000 rpm.

Any thoughts?

brasscarguy

2. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G
    I had the same erratic idle and stall issue. I had just completed a major major where i had the entire upper engine apart and literally took painstaking effort to put together the cleanest 348 you'll ever see. Every component was either new or diagnosed as perfect. No vacuum leaks as well.

I had noticed once that by simply touching the secondary air intake tube assembly that the engine idle would change suddenly. But hell, that of course could not make sense since that system has nothing to do with idle vacuums in any way, its simply not in the loop.

But today, after the problem became so bad that the car would stall at every corner I had to stare at it for a while and think. While staring at that stupid secondary tube I noticed a interesting thing .... the MAV cable is literally resting on the secondary tube. In other words when I was moving about the secondary tube I was also jiggling the MAV cable.

So ... even though the MAV connector pins looked clean, I used some contact cleaner on them and re-connected diligently.

The world change.

Dino L likes this.