If everything being equal....512TR or 550M? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

If everything being equal....512TR or 550M?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Tomf-1, Jan 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Clearly, this is what makes the world go around. You zig, and I zag. But I wonder what all those owners of those other Ferraris with the engines in the front might think. You know, those GTO thingies.

Good nite, DrTax

2. chinaboy

chinaboy Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Jardine Lookout, HK
    Full Name:
    Eric Wong
    512TR indeed.

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    obviously i am biased, but i applaud your 512tr choice. i love the car. and like others have said, you can always buy into a 550 later on (when its gotten abit older and cheaper).
    but for ferrari-ness you can't beat that wedgy, wide-butt, big presence of the 512tr/m.
    the driving characteristics mentioned by william are evident only when you are really steaming along and pushing it (ie tracking). i have had many a spirited drive on mountains and highways and tracks, and have only rarely spun (maybe i wasn't pushing hard enough), and then it was due to my mistakes, not the car's.
    taking a driving course is never a bad idea, and now you have a 428 reasons to do so.......

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    512 for life.

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    ROFL :) 40 Today, My brain hasnt processed that yet. Am I a dirty old man now ?

6. enzomoon

enzomoon Guest

Doody:

Not really true. My F512M will take my 550 any day in a straight line. My friend has a 512TR which is alaso as quick or quicker than my 550. As far as safety, the passive safety on the 512 is HUGE with its race car-like tube frame construction. I know first hand as I met up with the tire barrier at Roebling Road in turn one at 100mph 2 years ago. The car held up so well that I was amazed, with only a small hematoma on my right shin. I love my 550(I drive it to work daily), but the 512 is a much more visceral, exciting and quite frankly a special car.

Regards,

Mark

7. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    I just had a chance to drive 512TR....absolutely loved it to deaht...too bad I didn't have enough money to buy it...

go for the 512 TR.... it is a great car to drive and collect.

8. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Can someone weigh in with their thoughts about the economics of the decision- currently 512TR are holding pretty stable, a slight decline; however 550 prices are dropping, probably due to the introduction of the 575 and the number on the market. 550's are a bit higher right now, but if the trend continues they'll be selling for less by the end of 2004. The 512 might be a better mid-long term investment- and I know what the service costs, believe me I know.

I prefer the 512TR (not a shock) but I really like the newer styling and features of the 550.

Now, a 512M, like the yellow one at FSF, that's something to really lust after.

9. enzomoon

enzomoon Guest

Norm:

I believe the 512TR will continue to hold up well. The M may soften a bit further but I believe it will actually appreciate in the next few years. As you know, they only brought 75 to the States. Also, I believe many more Maranellos were produced vs. the 512. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

10. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    I'm biased too, but 512TR it had to be in a rare color. I'm also in my late 30's wanted something more exotic looking....low and wiiiide. Also probably looking to add a 550 in a couple of years as the wife wants to keep the groupies away from the house.

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Happy B-Day and you betcha. Welcome aboard!

DrTax

ps I'm serious about the 550 offer...

12. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hello Everyone---

Ok....I either have the most impeccable taste or everyone of you are just way too supportive....In any event, your lavish praises and overwhelming approbations solidify my decision to choose the 512TR over 550M and give me the much needed assurances.

Thank you to all for your insightful advices and invaluable inputs. I will post pictures as soon as I take possession.....

Tom,

13. pdavis

pdavis Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Morristown New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Tom F-1, you might want to consider taking delivery of the car and having the major done at a local dealership so that if there are issues you can easily have them resolved under warranty by the dealer that did the major. This is also another way to ensure that the major service is actually done. I would even recommend visiting the servicing dealer to actually see the car while the major is being performed. Of course, this means having the selling dealer reduce the price of the car by the amount of the major service ... generally around $6 to $7K dollars.

Like you I agonized over the decision between a 550 or a TR and opted for the TR. I could not be happier. In my opinion the 550 is a little to "regular" looking. No offense to those who own one, no question they are incredible performers. Good luck with whichever you decide to buy. pd

14. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    This would be my pick...

15. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    007--- Dude....

Yours? She is absolutely beautiful....

Although I will soon take delivery on my 512TR but it's like falling in love all over again on your wedding night w/ your soon to-be wife's younger and more beautiful sister....

Tom,

16. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    No question: 512TR.

17. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I want both of them!!!

Now I have 8 cylinder (328), I want to add 12 cylinder to satisfy my hunger (everyone in my family is against it since there's no place to park as we have 4 cars now)

If I have a cash to pay $130K, I will split it to make a down payments for both cars, then after owning for while, I will make a decision for a keeper. Monthly payment & portion of down payment will be the cost to enjoy the ownership of both cars. After you decided & sold one of them, you can pay up the balance for the keeper.

18. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    TomF1,
    Although I haven't tracked my TR, I have to agree with WIlliam H, the TR is VERY easy to spin if you don't know the car. Over the past 4 1/2 years, I've done it twice. Know the car well before pushing it too hard... and make sure the tires are warm before going all out.

Don't be afraid though, because mastering the TR is a great feeling.

David

19. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I like both Grady and Dale. I will take the 5th. But I bet you can
    figure it out. I am also just "under" 40.

20. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    The 512 has always been my favorite car to look at, still is. But if I was given a choice to pick the 512 or 550 for the 'rest of my life, as a car to drive and own forever, the choice is no contest, 550.

I can look at 512's or buy one to look at but to drive, own, maintain, get performance and reliability, you must get the 550.

aehaas

21. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    I had a '87 TR which I loved but was a maintenance problem. Drove the 550 and bought the 512TR. I believe the current prices of the 512TR's are near the bottom while the 550's are still dumping 10-15% per year. If you drive both cars it is an easy decision.

22. 512TR dont like the overdone look of the 512M thats just me the wheels the lights and rear dont have it for me. The 512TR with f355 style wheels and 348 like bumber is awsome.

23. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks Stuart---

At current rate of decline, is it conceivable at some point in the next year or so, my 92 512TR will be worth more a 97 or 98 550M?

Where is the 550M market going to bottom out? How many of these 550M were made for the US market? Are they still producing them?

God knows...economics has never and will never drive my car purchase decision making but just curious. Anyone feel free to pitch in. Thanks.

24. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Since I already have 2 512TRs a nice silver or Azzuro 550 with a 5 or 6 speed & a rock bottom price could make a nice addition to the garage for my "everyday" Ferrari :)

25. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Definitely a 512TR, any of the Testarossa series, but the ultimate is the 512M.