If I were going to buy 1 car to drive forever… | Page 3 | FerrariChat

If I were going to buy 1 car to drive forever…

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Bullfighter, Aug 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    My '07 987.1 base Cayman. Not a hypercar, not a supercar... Looks well used but just giving me smiles for 13 years. 103K+ miles and hopefully until I drop.

2. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
  3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    My friend is on his third TRX and swears by it.

Texas Forever and tbakowsky like this.
  4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Man, oh man.

I just drove a Daytona and a F12 back to back. I need to start a thread on that. The best adjective I can think of for the F12 is perfect. The car is perfect in every way. Whatever you ask the car to do, it will do. Flawlessly.

The Daytona? Blue-eyed soul all the way. You can put your foot into it and enjoy. The F12? NFW. You romp on that loud pedal and things get serious in a hurry. Maybe too serious.

-K1-, CJA, NYC Fred and 3 others like this.
  5. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Porsche 993: the most beautiful 911 (the design is superb form any angle), old school look and feel… but modern enough (road holding, 6 gears, multi-link suspension, more than enough power for the public road, airbags, good airconditioning), very well built, very reliable, classic flat6 sound.

I was hesitating to choose the Ferrari 456… but it’s probably not so reliable? But it’s definitely more special than the 993, and the low rpm torque is amazing… so easy to drive, very comfortable, yet very entertaining if you floor the throttle. Very subtle in a non-shouting colour. One of the very best Pininfarina designs. But driving one in the snow, sounds tricky?

Ffre92 likes this.
  6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    It would have to be a convertible. It would have to be a 3 pedal. It would have to be fairly reliable. It would have to have back seats for my dogs.

I think that narrows it down to a BMW E46 (or one of the California 3 pedal unicorns.)

7. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Oh, man, they're actually good to drive? It sucks so bad then that I'll never have one.

8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm getting a e36 M3.

camshaft and anunakki like this.
  9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    993 is tempting for the reasons you state. It really is a beautiful car, with doors that shut with a uniquely satisfying, solid click. And… you can rebuild it if the engine ever needs it. They look amazing in speed yellow.

I had a 1996 cabriolet - the top cover was a bit of a hassle, but a great car in triple black.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

EnzoItaly likes this.
  10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Still thinking. 400 hp at a minimum. Preferably under 2500 pounds. Stick would be cool. Maybe a Miata with a LS motor?

11. Mr. Uy

Mr. Uy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Charlie U
    Never driven one so don’t know how well it would work, but a 250 SWB sure seems versatile enough for this!

If it was a car for every situation, the M5 does a pretty good job there.

-K1- likes this.
  12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Sandero ..anyway

13. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    Yep on the 993...I bought my 993C4S new and it's been a fun/reliable all this time

EnzoItaly likes this.
  14. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Right now we have both an 06 e46 M3 Convertible 6 speed and a 456GT... there is no wrong answer! The 456 is amazing and versatile but the e46 really is the perfect car. Roomy, real back seats, real truck and plenty of power to put a smile on your face, as well as very reasonable maintenance, plus I can easily get 20+ MPG if want as an everyday user

Texas Forever and anunakki like this.
  15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    It really is a perfect car.

16. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Depends- If I live my life out in Colorado (hopefully not) then probably Porsche 911 C4S Cabriolet manual (997 or 991 series).

If I move and live out life in South Florida (hopefully) then a 458 Speciale Aperta.

To be honest, I would be fine selling all my cars with exception of my 458 Spider and Rubicon and putting the funds into a 38-foot Sundancer. Exotic Spider+dependable/fun DD+reasonable boat for cruising/overnighting on open water or intercoastal- Perfect combo IMHO and actually achievable.

Cheers :cool:

Texas Forever likes this.
  17. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    The Daytona SP3. Image Unavailable, Please Login I almost said the La Ferrari Aperta but would rather not have the hybrid battery. Luggage or groceries can fit in the passenger seat. In my one-off color, of course.

plastique999, Shorn355 and ryalex like this.
  18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Were you able to get one? I agree that the simpler drivetrain will probably be more desirable in the long run.

Twosherpaz likes this.
  19. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yum- I hadn't thought of that- :cool:

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Keep in mind, South Florida guys bench race over which entrance ramps are the best. SoFlo sucks for cars.

21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Why not the OG E30 M3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Forever likes this.
  22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    6 v 4? More is always better.

Plus, e30s are a lot more than e36s. I'm cheep.

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I remember now. I had the perfect car. It was at the dock, all I had to do was pick it up.

A 2020 Yellow GT4. Stick. The only option was better seats. Drive out was $115k. In one of my dumber movements in life, I passed. It was, and still is, the perfect car.

Ffre92 likes this.
  24. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I was lucky enough to drive my Dad's 288 extensively. If pushed hard [i did on a track] it was a bit of a handful. The turbo rush came on in a flash and their was not enough rubber to keep the power down when pushed hard. However I can seriously say it was more car than I was a driver.

Although I have never driven one a whimsical choice would be a McLaren F1. Designed by F1 genius Gordon Murray it was and is in a class all by itself. Even better is that you could have the ride of your life with both your wife and your mistress at the same time! Definitely an amazing one of a kind car.

25. camshaft

camshaft Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    MA
    Full Name:
    Austin
    I think some in the thread are confusing favorite car with what I think the thread was asking in regards to one and only one car you were forced to drive daily for the rest of your life. My favorite car is the F40 but I can't imagine having to drive to work every day in it let alone when it's snowing out or I'm getting groceries.

I believe the E36 M3 is one of the most enjoyable driver's cars ever made. We have a 1995 dakar M3 in my family with 36k miles, owned since 1998. I can't imagine ever getting rid of it. Texas, when you pick it up have a shop go through the suspension thoroughly. A fresh e36 m3 suspension feels very different from a worn one. You may also want to have them weld in the reinforcement plates in the rear.

anunakki and Texas Forever like this.