If you had 150K Spare - 360CS, F40 or Murcielago! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

If you had 150K Spare - 360CS, F40 or Murcielago!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Ade, May 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

150K to spend, what would you buy? F40, 360CS or Murcielago?

1. 360 CS

2. F40

3. Murcielago

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    No I don't know this company at all - seems about a fair price though. If you are shopping around, here is another for sale (bit more expensive):
    http://www.joemacari.com/firstpage.htm

Nice Zonda as well!

When do you reckon you are going to take the leap? Very exciting..

2. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Interesting points from everyone. I had not really factored in retained value/verse running costs. Why would the F40 cost soooo much to run? Does anyone have any figures on F40 service/parts costs verse Murcielago?

I'm assuming the 360 CS will be pretty reasonable to service (tad more than 360?)- apart from perhaps quite expensive once your brakes wear out..?
    Ade

3. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Ive been assured that on the CS, You would have to cane the ass off the brakes on several long track days before looking at the replacement of the Discs.........

4. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    True Joe but at £5000 per disk !!!! You dont really want to be the guys picking up the tab.

On an F40 my understanding is that all costs are reasonable other than the fuel tank which costs £10k and has to be replaced every 10 years. I am not an expert but have been quoted these numbers in the past.

Still would not put me off having the best looking sports car ever - F40

5. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi Jrs,The F40 Tank is £4350 from ATL,and you wont beat there fueling system's,thats a 110L bag tank,it's probably 10k from ferrari though,

cheers
    Dale.

6. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Just don't prang the F40 without the right insurance...

18 k for rear bumper
    27k for engine cover (excluding lexan window)
    7k for Lexan window
    etc...

7. markcp

markcp Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    North London
    Full Name:
    Mark Parsons
    F40 for me too. Its my favourite car of all time, although I do find the part prices quoted above a little scary!!!

Mark.

8. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK

Arrrrghhhh! .... thats scarey stuff!!!!! Seriously thats enough loot to be seriously paranoid if you ever leave the car unattended (i.e. vandals etc)

Does anyone know a good source of parts prices for the Murcielago?

Cheers
    Ade

9. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Man, this is just another league entirely from my 355 Spider!!!!! I've got some serious doubts now on whether I can seriously consider this kind of upgrade...
    :-(
    Ade

10. tomkranz

tomkranz Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Berkshire
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Bah! Worrying about ongoing costs and depreciation :)

Look at the ratio of parts costs vs. total cost of the car. Overall they're not that much more than any other Ferrari, if you're paying scary main dealer prices.

And, quite frankly, if you can afford to slap down $150k+ plus on a car, and then worry about how much a new bonnet will be - WHY??

I'd have an F40 like a shot - servicing is shockingly cheap, insurance is there for the other bits, and I doubt many people will ever be pushing their cars to the sort of limits which things like replacement disks etc. become a major headache.

Money doesn't matter when you see one being hustled round a track :-0

Cheers,
    TOM

11. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    Speaking of running costs.. I had a Porsche GT2 (996) which had PCCB (Carbon ceramic brakes). Those puppies cost £20,000+ to replace, and I managed to destroy a set within 9000 miles. :eek:

12. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Ade,

Stop worrying man, if you want the Murci, buy one and drive it, look after it and sell it when done.

Your a long time dead Ade, enjoy life to the full m8, hey if it gets damaged let the Insurance Company pay.

When you get bored with it change it. Simple just my opinion of coarse..

13. Garyh

Garyh Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Tough to choose between F40 and CS if its on basis you would use it a lot(and wouldnt be able to resist it would you?) but head says CS but with F cars and this money bugger the head so its an F40 then!
    The Murci is surely the natural rival to 575 and Vanquish.It betters both on performance but would be far more difficult to live with and its not an F car (which counts a lot for me anyway).The Vanquish just isnt at the races in this class.

14. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Sire,

surely you can sell off some scummy corner on my home county to genearte some revenue to buy a CS, F40 and a Murci!

15. jimmy b

jimmy b Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    On a plane
    Full Name:
    James
    F40 - Collectible so best "investment" (ha ha), but scarily expensive parts, and actually fairly disappointing around a circuit compared to 355/360 challenge unless hussled by a professional (this is from first-hand experience of overtaking F40s round Silverstone, as well as driving one round Donington). Winner on looks but wouldn't want to drive one across Europe (no AC, rope door handles, VERY wide, etc.)

360CS - Of course some depreciation as they're new and still being made, but surely the best bet for all the three main different Fcar users (those that like to garage and lick it, those that want to spank it round circuits and those that think it's an everyday car). Probably beats an F40 round a track, even in competition use.

6 litre Audi quattro - this is not prancing horse. This is bull.

16. jimmy b

jimmy b Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    On a plane
    Full Name:
    James
    Actually, my overall answer is that if I had the £150K I'd take the F40 as it's value will go up over the next five years whilst I enjoy it. I'll bide my time until I can get a 360CS for around 70K, even if that's about four or five years away....

17. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK

Part of your back garden should provide a handsome income if leased to a tire-burning or fat-rendering company of some sort. Or maybe a night-time pneumatic drill testing facility. ummm... thanks for offering.

18. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Joe,
    Cheers for the encouragement, you are right of course. I'm still undecided on the vehicle though... its pretty close between these three. Murcielagos are still V V expensive @ 145,000 (RHD) secondhand is the cheapest I've seen... its almost worth just buying new and waiting on the list at that price. F40s - well the prices/condition vary soooo much - Its going to take a long time to shop around for one. 360 CS - Well..... I'm going to see how you guys get on with all yours first(cough, cough... a few rides as passenger maybe!!!!!!!)

Ade

19. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    ...just so long as I may lick clean your tyres!

20. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    I can't understand used Murci prices either. No point in buying a 2 yr old 1 for £145/150K when a new one is 18K more. 3 months about average waiting time now. Mine should arrive mid July now, but if its delayed to end July i'm gonna grit my teeth and take it Sept 1st when the new reg plates come out.

21. 325Paul

325Paul Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Kent (Rochester) - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Thompson

The company that is allegedly supplying the F40 (http://www.globalcar.com/cgi-bin/gc...YPE=1&PRIVATE=0) are using a photo from Michael Sheehans website. The car was listed as a US spec car. Link here to the original advert. Maybe its genuine - but then maybe its not.

22. ANDYH

ANDYH Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    ANDY H
    The F40 is hugely impractical, take ages to get to know, you can hardly drive it anywhere except the track.............but phuque moi, it wd get my vote any day. I think its got to be up there as one of the most iconic Ferraris ever......

23. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Only 64% of the vote !! Another couple of pics to keep you focussed.

24. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Wont forget my blast round silverstone in the F40(FOC DAY)boy did that guy driving it ring its neck,felt like we were going round for ever,they do take it out of you and i was the passenger,the noise the smell of fuel,brakes,tyres,it was all happening like crazy,what a car very impressed,gave the driver big handshake and thanks,can anyone tell me if the F40 i was in was a standard or moded car not that they need it,

cheers
    Dale.

25. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Ha ha ha!! I just got an insurance quote from Tesco for a 2002 Murcie or F40.....18,000 pounds per year with FULL no claims bonus. What a joke! errrrr, looks like I'm sticking with the 355Spider then!!