If you had 150K Spare - 360CS, F40 or Murcielago! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

If you had 150K Spare - 360CS, F40 or Murcielago!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Ade, May 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

150K to spend, what would you buy? F40, 360CS or Murcielago?

1. 360 CS

2. F40

3. Murcielago

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Yeh, I've seen that there for a long while (I thought he had sold it, but obviously not). It is a LHD which is very good value for money. The only thing I'm careful of, personally, is the history of imported cars such as these, I'm sure there is nothing profoundly wrong and I trust Joe, but its difficult to know exactly how its been treated.

Having said this, all LHD go for between 100 - 115 secondhand, so the price is right. This raises the question, why do people sell LHD cars in England - surely they can get a much better price on the continent? Considering our RHD cars stay up at 150 secondhand. Perhaps I'm wrong though, its more likely our RHD ones are just a rip-off, right?
    Ade

2. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Ade,

Certainly a few years ago it was cheaper to buy a car in Europe and bring it over here (I did it with an Integrale), with the strength of the Euro my LHD 355 is worth more in Europe than it is here now. The reason I can think that LHD are cheaper are that brand new cars in mainland Europe have a cheaper list price and VAT.

Rick

3. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    Leaving prices aside what a lot of people tend to overlook is that on a Ferrari/Lamborghini especially, RHD is an afterthought. At the Lamborghini factory, certainly with the Diablos, LHD cars would be near complete on the assembly line and then "converted" to RHD spec by a sort of RHD conversion team.
    As a result throttle cables, steering racks, pedals positions are not thought out. LHD Ferraris/Lambos have always felt more "all of piece" when I have driven them. Particularly on Murcielago, Ninja is correct, LHD "feels" better. On RHD Murcielago the gear gate positioning is unchanged from the LHD car and you actually have to "reach" to pull the lever back for second gear.

Getting back to price, I think a lot of the LHD supercars for sale here are driven across from their wealthy Euro owners who prompty struggle to drive them (99% in London) and then "upgrade" to RHD. These types don't care about residuals.
    Another factor is the "I must have it first" people. A few of my friends have orders on LHD Murcielago Barchettas from the continent. They don't care about LHD, they just want to be the first to have it. (happened with Gallardo, CS etc - for a very short time these cars command a premium so they mistakenly think they'll be able to run it depreciation free).

4. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    It is actually still alot cheaper to buy from Europe. But the stronger euro has reduced the savings.

This means for a ford you may save a couple of thousand, which may not seem worth it when you factor in the 0% finance offered in the uk. But for prestige cars you can save 10's of thousands if your quick of the mark, or are prepared to wait.

I think most of these LHD were bought early on by people who were'nt prepared to wait or pay the huge premiums. And are probably now being sold on. It makes more sense to sell them here though, because prices are far lower on the mainland.

As an example the gallardo can be bought RHD for 120,000 - 134,000 Euro tax free (the cheapest country being the Netherlands because the ~50% duty on cars forces manufacturers to lower their prices).

And yes we are being ripped of as are the americans. The premiums on the 360 for example only lasted for the first year or so in europe. Yet if you buy UK or American 360's you still have to pay a premium.