IF you were SUPER wealthy ($1B) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

IF you were SUPER wealthy ($1B)

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by bostonmini, Feb 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Test, isn't 17 still underage...?

2. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    not in all states, and by the time you train them, they are old enough... :p by the time they are 20, they are used goods anyway.

3. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    if i were a billionare, my garage would look like this

how many ferraris can you count?

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

I'd prefer secrecy until after I engineered the takeover of a small tropical nation. At that point I could be on the front page of the NY Post and I wouldn't care.

5. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Anonymity is like a childhood blanket, it keeps you warm and safe. :)

TVRfreak, it is possible once you cross $20MM net worth. My best friend is worth well over $100MM and I guarantee very few people from the general public would know his name.

The only billionare I know doesn't drive exotic cars(only Mercedes and Chevys), doesn't live in the biggest house in town, and doesn't waste money on silly things like I do. You would never guess he's loaded if he was standing next to you.

6. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Point taken, but you are always anonymous to the general public unless you are a public figure (ie. famous or holding office) or you really flaunt it. I was actually wondering about the ability to keep it "secret" or hidden from your friends and close associates. I think that would be virtually impossible to pull off once you cross $20M ie. you have a house with a pool and invite everyone to a party and they come and go thinking you are a well-off professional or successful businessman, without any inkling of the fortune you are sitting on.

The mega-wealthy venture capitalists and businessmen in this area are all known to be mega-wealthy by those they associate with. Their kids are known to have mega-wealthy parents by all their classmates and teachers. Etc., etc.

7. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

I agree with you there. Small circles. It takes money to make money and people do like to talk.;) It is probably very close to impossible to be very wealthy and not have your close friends and associates know it.

8. Lee White

Lee White Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Full Name:
    Lee White

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I know two billionaires. Everyone knows who they are, mostly through philanthropy. I think that I would prefer to be known by what got me there as opposed to the money itself; i.e. "a great businessman," or "turning this fledgling flailer into one of the top companies in its segment." That kind of thing.

The other thing is that I used to be professional athlete. You don't choose to be something like that unless you can stand some kind of public criticism.

10. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    I would prefer utter secrecy. Though my daily driver F40 might give a little something away.

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    It's possible, but you just have to be very careful. If you want to see totally anonymous people worth between $10-$60 million that you'd never even guess, go to College Barbeque for lunch or K&W Cafeteria for dinner in Salisbury NC.

The Dole's used to hang out at The Big Pig after church on Sundays, but they've moved home to DC.

The only people in the know are family, business associates and the bankers in Charlotte. Everyone keeps a very low profile, lives orders of magnitude below their means, and only makes anonymous charitable donations. Some great values to be learned for those just starting out in their careers.

What fun is it to impress people that are only impressed by money? What a waste of life. Besides, its more fun to laugh at the ones that think it really matters.

12. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Of course when you are looking at a nice round $20M, ppl will know you have at least SOME wealth, but the difference between that, and say $500M, you could choose to share, or be private about...Not really sure what good can come of flaunting publicly, you can pamper women in secrecy, take care of your family, buy all your toys, but still not wave it in peoples faces, "offer" (i.e. insist!) to do articles on your success, and go to celebrity hangouts bc they are "in".

13. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You can have the fame, just give me the fortune.

14. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard

15. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Sure, I'd like to keep my life private, but considering the line of work I plan to go into it could be nearly impossible. However, I think so long as you don't try to get attention (Richard Branson, Hiltons, Ellison, etc) then the public won't latch on to you.

I am up for that "taking over a small Carribbean nation" thing though :)

16. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Small islands are cool, though when your young as I am, Im not going to lie and say that a little "ooh and ahhh"ing would really BOTHER me;)

17. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You mind me asking what professional sport you played. Just curious.
    Erik

18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I wouldnt mind being known or not..as long as i have the billions !

19. RXMR7

RXMR7 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Very, very true. I dont know why people have to throw themselves at others to be impressed by money. What i really find disgusting is the fact that some people who never worked a day in their life go around and try to put others down because they inherited some cash. My parents have a friend like this and everytime i talk to this person its as if whatever they have in their possesion is worth X amount of dollars and whatever i own is worthless or next to it.

I am not putting down people inheriting money its not their fault, but to put down others who work and dont want people to know what they are worth because its irrelevant to them is not cool.

The answer to the question before my rant is i wouldnt want anyone to know about my net worth. I just want people to like me because after all its just me.