If you won 150M would you take a lump sum of 88M? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

If you won 150M would you take a lump sum of 88M?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 62 250 GTO, Nov 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If you can't live with 88M, just win the lotto again and have more free money.

2. Michael

Michael Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2001
    Nevada
    Full Name:
    Michael

Check out this article:
    http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Savinganddebt/Savemoney/P99649.asp

Poor money management for the people in the above link. Like a kid in the candy store their greed or naivete got them.

A lotto winner would definately have an estate tax problem, unless they were planning to die in 2011. As for me, I would take a lump sum, buy more life insurance, heck, I would MEC the policy in one lump sum just to leave a legacy for my family and rest easy. Set up a trust. Pay off all my debts and put it into a financial vehicle where I can live off the interest. I would retain a really good/savvy CPA, Estate Planning Attorney, and keep my mouth shut and refuse all press conferences. I would probably hide for a few months, at least. I think I would be slightly paranoid if people found out

3. robgct

robgct Karting

May 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    rob
    id take the $88 million

open a ING ORANGE SAVINGS ACCOUNT at 2.60% interest

wait a year without touching it

take ou my $2,288,000 interest

spend it how i want for a year

then take it out again

and repeat.

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    EWWWWWWW.

I'm glad I got to spend a pleasant holiday season WITHOUT seeing that post!

DL

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    There's a catch with ING that you apparently don't know about... poor boy.

6. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    I would take the lump sum for the economic reasons already stated. damcgee, that was an excellent table, thank you.

We scratch our collective heads at all these losers doing unbelievably stupid things with accidental windfalls, but it really should come as no surprise. The average person does NOT know how to manage money. Simple probability theory guarantees that it is overwhelmingly likely that an average person will win a lottery with a small chance of a big win rather than an above average "smart" person doing the same. The probability is further by the fact that the average person is more likely to be into regular small time gambling endeavors, like the weekly buying of lottery tickets. Smart people, for the most part, just don't have the time or patience to waste time or money on fleeting chances.

So very average people get thrown this huge sum of money and they squander it away like evertything else in life. Where's the shock in all this ?

7. robgct

robgct Karting

May 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    rob
    no catch, no minimum, no penalties.

8. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    Care to elaborate on that?

9. robgct

robgct Karting

May 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    rob
    ffrom their TOS, i found:

Also, we reserve the right to return any deposit to you that causes the combined balance of all of your accounts with us (including any joint accounts) to exceed $1,000,000.

10. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    And that is the reason why I don't have an account with them. :)

11. Amir

Amir Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2003
    TX
    I read somewhere that gambling winnings (which includes lottery) are taxed at a flat 25% tax rate, regardless of your current income trax bracket.

Additionally, you can easily invest $88m in various hedge funds.

12. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/16/powerball.winner.ap/index.html

85M lump sum, and the guy seems to have a head on his shoulders. I'm curious to see if he can pull off his intention of turning it into a billion.

C.

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The person who won the Powerball $220mm jackpot still hasn't come forward and it's been several weeks. Probably had a heart attack and died.

14. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    And I think you need to read the article I linked to. He is the winner of the 220M Powerball jackpot!

C.

15. caseykimma

caseykimma Formula 3

Jun 5, 2004
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Casey

exactly-lump sum

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    LOL! I just saw that $85mm lump sum and I was thinking it had to be someone else since the the jackpot he won would be $93.975mm after taxes, not $85mm like the article said (flat 25% tax for lotto winners). I checked powerball.com to see if the winner spoke yet before I posted and I'm surprised powerball.com hasn't said anything yet. Why can't that guy just be happy with $90mm, jeez...

17. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    Just to throw a conspiracy theory out there...What would stop the government from eliminating the lotto winner and collecting a huge amount in estate taxes? Ya know, here and there...would make you paranoid enough to just win the thing..

18. mpolans

mpolans Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2004
    Serious constitutional issues aside, in the big scheme of things, the money collected wouldn't even be close to being worth the risk if the gov't was caught even considering something along those lines.