If Your Ferrari Could Say to you for the 2004 Season...Take Me On A Special Drive !! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

If Your Ferrari Could Say to you for the 2004 Season...Take Me On A Special Drive !!

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Dave Bendl, Dec 19, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Lake Michigan is pretty darn wide. I remember the last time that I went out on a Fishing Charter Boat out of Montrose Harbor a few years ago. The boat was 55 Feet ,(does that then qualify it to be called a Ship? I'll have to ask my Coast Guard Cousin.) Anyway. we only went out maybe 10-12 miles,and it took about 3 hours. EACH WAY! And,I'm guessing that the Ferry is slower. Do they say how long it takes?

2. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Re: Lake Express Ferry:
    Makes the entire trip across Lake Michigan in less than 2-1/2 hours. It cruises at 34 knots (40 MPH) and has 12,000 available HP with water jet propulsion.
    Dave

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Frank, stop worrying, these things are safe, well for the most part. Especially when operated in civilized industrial nations...

The biggest threat you might get is people, children and dogs squeezing by your car or oogling at it while on the boat. It gets pretty narrow, but not worse than an Oakstreet event.
    :)

Dave, I love the idea of the flag. That is brilliant! I can provide the flag btw. If nothing else we can hang it from the side of the ship. Kewl!

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I know. I'm just being silly. What kids and dogs????? :) BTW how many cars can fit on this baby? Is there a website where we can see what it looks like?

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    From Dave's post on page 2:

The Badger a 1950's coal fired ferry, is currently the only ferry service across Lake Michigan. It runs from Mantowac Wi to Ludington, Mi., and takes 4 hours to cross at a cost of $100 per car, one way, with one adult.
    See this link on details on the new ship. http://www.port.mil.wi.us/ferrypress0703.html

6. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Sorry 'bout that. I guess I should have went back into the thread. But,sometimes these get going...and going...and going... and they get a littIe sidetracked. I thought he said that it was a new boat. No,in all seriousness,it does sound like fun.

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    1950's? COAL Fired? Huh Huh HUH!!!! Now you're scaring me!!!

8. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Frank,
    The Badger is an old 1950's car ferry crossing the lake from Manatowoc, Wi near (Door Co.) to Ludington, Mi. It's coal fired and slow. Crossing time takes 4 hours. I only mentioned this boat as a comparision to the new ship.

The new ship (Lake Express) crosses fom Milwaukee to Muskegan and has 12,000 Hp diesel/water jet propusion with a cruise speed of 40 MPH.
    Total crossing time is less than 2.5 Hrs. This is the ship we plan to use for this trip, not the old Badger.
    Dave

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Wheeeew!!!! (as I wipe the sweat from my--brow !) :) O.K.,O.K.....I'm sold on the idea!!!! I am just being silly. I know how to swim really well. My Ferrari? Well,thats another story.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The movie "One crazy summer" comes to mind where they hack a 308 apart and use the engine for a sail boat. Gives the term Barchetta a whole new meaning...

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    LOL!. Yes."Little Boat". I like the 360's and all,but to me,kind of look like a Big Jet Ski,or,Little boat. they should have made the 360 Spider the Barchetta instead of the 550.

12. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Dave, If you don’t come up with a flag to fly on the ferry I would be happy to send you one. Don’t worry about the ferry. We have even used the “old Badger” for the last 10 years to get our cars over to the historic races at Road American. It is slow but relaxing. The new boat should be really cool.
    Two things to think about. 1. You may be able to get a break on the cost of the ferry tickets if you suggest to the ferry line that they could use your crossing as a promo event. I am sure that this summer they will be dieing to have the news papers on both sides of the lake write something interesting about the new ferry. 2. When you get a date nailed down I can call the people at Tubi in Holland to see if we can drop by. There is not always a lot to see there but they are nice people.
    Skip (from Michigan)

13. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    One other thing to remember is that the Grand Haven Coast Guard Festival is July 30 to Aug 8. lots of fun events but the town is packed with people.

14. lotusboy

lotusboy Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Madison,Wi.
    Full Name:
    Kevin Geiwitz
    If you all want a great ride you need to take Hwy113 to the to the ferry that goes over the Wis. river to Devils Lake. Lots of twists and turns. It is about a 45 min. ride from Madison.

15. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Thanks Skip !
    My sister-in-law gave me a new Tifosi flag for Christmas. She bought it during her last trip to Italy. I'm saving it just for this trip. The way it looks, FCA events book all weekends in June, so we may delay the trip until the mid to late July. Great suggestion regarding the promo. I will bring it up to the Lake Express sales office.
    Thanks again,
    Dave

16. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Dave, Don't forget the Historic races at Road America are July 16 to 18. I am already tired of this cold weather.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hmm, good point.
    Dave are we trying to avoid that date or are we trying to include Road America on the route?

18. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Thanks for reminding me about Road America guys. I make sure we schedule around it.
    Dave

19. Martin8

Martin8 Rookie

Sep 26, 2007
    St. Charles, IL
    Full Name:
    Marty Davis
    I live out in St. Charles area. Do you still have your car. I have owned mine for 23 years and counting. Marty

20. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    What ever you guys decide on just let me know and I'll find the time. Nice to see you back Frank.

21. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Ricky,

You're almost 4 years too late with your reply! :D

The Emp

22. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hey I thought it was a new thread but the date listed was wrong. Oh well, I'm still up for a good cruise.