Ignition wires | FerrariChat

Ignition wires

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vincenzo, Jan 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Interesting....

Both primary leads at the coil have only one small wire bent over to contact the connector.

Overall, the wires all have roughly 450 Ohms per foot and appear to be ‘good to go’.

Is this typical for OEM wires?

One would think the high voltages (but low amperage) would fry a tiny, single wire like these.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Those readings seem super high, search my posts, I had engine running problems that traced out to bad spark wires and posted a thread with my measurements old and new. New wire kit from GT car parts solved the problem and the numbers explained why.

3. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Actually I dont know if yours are high or not, here’s my numbers:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #4 vincenzo, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Still working on the passenger side - but here are my driver’s side.

The length measurements are VERY rough but give an idea of Ohms per ft.

The new Kingsborne wire is 500 Ohms per foot - very close to my OEM measurements.

I believe that my existing wires do not warrant Kingsborne replacements (yet). But that primary lead looks pretty ‘iffy’ to me.

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The original Cavis spark plug wires used in a TR have a tiny metal spiral wound wire around a kevlar filament core. The high voltage of an automotive ignition system will not damage the metal wire as the current flow is very low. The problem is that the wires are fairly delicate and can break due to flexing over time. The engine will still usually run on a broken wire, as the spark jumps the gap inside the broken wire. Still the broken wires can cause rough run/engine miss-fires. I always check the resistance of the wire sets during a major service from the distributor cap contacts to the spark plug connectors. The resistance of the wires will range from 1k ohm-2k ohms depending on the length of the wire, with coil wires just under 1k ohm.
    Quite often the cause is a poor connection at the wire piercing connector screws at the distributor cap. If the resistance is only slightly high and changes when you flex the wire right at the cap connection, you can often shorten the wire 1/2" or so, reinstall the cap screw and the resistance will be fine. If the resistance of the wire is in meg-ohms or open circuit, then the wire is usually defective and needs replacement.
    Going from a car with bad ignition wires to good wires makes a huge different in engine smoothness and emissions and is possibly the biggest factor outside of cam timing in making an engine run better during and engine-out service.
    Always recheck the resistance of the wires from the cap contacts to the spark plug connectors after replacement, as the wire piercing screw sometimes does not make good contact with the little metal wire inside the ignition wire.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    for what you need wires with resistance? only to have no noises/disturbances in the radio?
    why not just use copper wires. this I did in my competition, but also I have an other ignition system in and still use the old coils but without the ignition moduls.
    for older cars what had original resistance wires in ( vauxhaul, opel, renault, peugeot ) and had problems ( mostly when it was raining ) I always changed those to copper wires and never had problems

7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Why resistance?

I’ll take a shot at it - but I am NOT an electrical engineer and only know enough to be dangerous. Correct me if I am wrong.

In simple layman’s terms;

As the electrical field in the coil breaks down, the discharge voltage/current builds over time. If there is zero resistance, the electrical power starts to flow immediately as a ‘fizzle’ rather than a ‘pop’ (technical terms). It jumps the gap (resistance) within the distributor and spark plug at a time of its own choosing, which is difficult to control. With the correct (designed) amount of resistance, the discharge has sufficient ‘pop’ power to jump the distributor and spark plug gap (resistance) at the precise moment per design.

My explanation would probably bring an EE to laughter - but that’s my logic!

8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    FYI....

Here are the final numbers from the 83958 Major Service. Given my very rough length measurements (all wires remained in the cap) I’ll call these results ‘good to go’.

Note that the Kingsborne wires at 500 Ohms per foot, 7mm are a perfect OEM replacement.

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Many cars with electronic ignition systems will not run at all or if they do very badly with solid core wires due to the EMI they create. The Marelli systems are are particularly prone to this. I have even seen a mismatched resistance wire raise havoc with Digiplex and Microplex systems. Any car I touch for a running issue if it doesnt have Cavis or Magnecore wires of roughly 500 ohm/s foot they come off first. I have seen incorrect wires destroy the speedometer signal in 355's because of their proximity to the cable bundle carrying the speedo signal.

Modern cars are subjected to a lot of tests for electronic noise creating issues with onboard systems, never mind the stuff we drive by going down the road. Just put them back the way they were built. There isn't a reason in the world not to.

tf308 and peteficarra like this.
  10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I listen to you Brian!

11. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    FYI...
    Magnecor are 3,000 Ohms per ft

Cavis are ? Ohms per ft - a cursory search did not find a number.

The pic is Kingsborne wire at 500 Ohms per foot.... 1/6 the resistance of the Magnecor.

My OEM wires averaged approximately 468 Ohms per foot.

12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Wrong wire. It is a product no longer made. A friend bought the last couple of thousand feet they had.

Cavis is all I will use and yes I am familiar with the others.

I don't use aftermarket junk.

14. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #14 vincenzo, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    What is the resistance of the Cavis?

Web page?

Yes, we here on FChat know of Dave’s bulk purchase. Hence the search for alternate suppliers.

If you consider Kingsborne ‘junk’ can you offer some reasons why? The basic construction and materials appear to be similar, and the resistance is very close to OEM.

15. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Found this pic.

The Kingsborne wire also has fiberglass between the two outer layers.... but it is minimal. I cut it open, but it is too fine to show up well in a pic.

It would be geat if somebody had some old Cavis and Magnecor to physically cut open!

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I´m a little confused now:
    I know that some ignitions needs resistance wires, but the longer those wires are the higher is the resistance. why not put between the distributor cap and the sparkplug connector to all cylinders each 1 fix resistance from for example 1 K ohm or just put only 1 resistance ( 1 K ohm ) between the coil and the distributor? or why not just use a 1, 2 or 5 K ohm sparkplug connector?

I hate those resistance wires because always they make trouble and here in europe ( except UK ) those resistance wires are not popular and also very hard to get

17. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #17 vincenzo, Jan 14, 2019
    In general, low resistance wires make rf interference. But otherwise, your logic makes sense.

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what is/are rf interference?

19. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    #19 Stefan Elshout, Jan 14, 2019
    That tiny little bit of resistance from the HT-Leads is negligible compared to the 0.7mm gap with 10 bar of air pressure in between on the tip of the spark plug. But that negligible amount of resistance does suppress all the necessary RFI & EMI. Electronics really don't like it, whether it is an electronic ignition or a tacho etc. etc. it can confuse many systems
    With a powerfull ignition system you can almost broadcast to outer space if you don't use the correct suppressed leads.
    In my opinion the 'low resistance cable' is only a marketing strategic, you can easily see that good quality cables like for example Magnecor are often 3K ohm/ft or even more.
    If an ignition can't handle that, than it's so weak that the ignition should be investigated.

https://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    By the way, I meant RF not EMI.

I asked today and Ferrari quit selling Cavis wire in bulk so as of now I'd have no idea where to get it. Not sure what wire the popular replacements set I see use. I though they were Cavis but it has been a long time since I had any in my hands. I do know some of the stuff out there is just a little bigger and nearly impossible to get inside the red silicone tubing.

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It stands for Radio Frequency.

turbo-joe likes this.
  22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Actually I was talking about someone else. I thought Daves was a different brand. Whatever his is it is too large to put in the red silicone tubing. Once was enough to learn the error of that.

The good thing is I do not work on very many anymore with spark plug wires so it has not been an issue for a while.

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you brian,
    this is what I mentioned already in my post here No.6, but have not known the english word ;)

what means EMI ?

24. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Electro-Magnetic Interference

turbo-joe likes this.
  25. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #25 vincenzo, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    RFI Radio Frequency Interference or EMI Electromagnetic Interference - two terms to describe the electrical noise (small variations in voltage or current) that can be picked up in an electrical circuit. When the noise is RFI it is easily picked up and heard in your radio. These two terms are used to describe the frequency range of the interference. The two terms are interchangeable and poorly differentiated.

A nuke generates an EMP Electromagnetic Pulse which is the same thing, but big enough to fry most any electrical circuit. Sun spots, or even the collapsing electrical field in your ignition coil does the same thing.

Better to use RFI only to describe the ‘noise’.

RFI can be damaging.

Better to use EMI Electromagnetic Induction to describe the force which causes current to flow in a wire. Like the EMI induced within your alternator.

All these terms describe the same basic phenomenon - magnetic fields causing voltage and current variations within a wire or circuit.

We need an EE (Electrical Engineer) to get any deeper!

turbo-joe likes this.