I'll bet your day wasn't this bad! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

I'll bet your day wasn't this bad!

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by sowest, Jun 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That's TT's car. He really drives it the way it was supposed to be driven and it shows. I just love the patina on that car!

sowest - I swear I've seen a blue Dino here as well.

2. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I met TT and he is very friendly and definitely drives it the way it was meant to be!
    I love the patina on original cars more than a restored car. It has character!

3. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi All

The yellow coupe is my old car. It does have some "warts" but it is a cool car. TT and I are on the same page about using the cars. Pete: you and I are the same page on the colour!! Yellow is a GREAT colour on a Dino.

WPOZZZ: You are right!! There is also a very nice blue GTS here. It slipped my mind when I took a count for the earlier post. So right now there are at least four Dinos on Oahu, five when the brown car returns.

Aloha
    Larry

4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Any word on the finish date of the brown Dino? I'd love to see that on the road again.

sowest - I love that old yellow Dino. A few years ago, TT brought it to a Cars and Coffee and there was also a 360. A buddy of mine loved the 360, but I told him I would take the Dino over that, any day of the week.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes yellow is a great colour, but I hope this one stays brown!
    Pete

6. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    WPOZZZ

No one is giving any timetable on the completion of the brown car. The shop is busy with other projects and it is my opinion that they were slowed by the realization of how difficult it is to work on these older cars.The owner played a major role and spent a lot of time in getting parts reproduced on the mainland. He is treading the fine line between moving the job along and irritating the shop. The good thing is that the work is well done and they don't show any inclination to rush the work just to get rid of the car. I think that things will go faster now that the really hard stuff is done and the rest is mostly normal paint and body work. The owner said to me with a sigh, "I hope next year".

Pete

Ooops. I think I misinterpreted your comment about the colour. I thought you were saying that you hoped the yellow car would remain yellow. Now I see it makes more sense that you were referring to the brown car.

Rest easy. The brown is the original colour and it will remain that way. In pictures, and especially in person, the brown is very nice on that car.

Aloha
    Larry

7. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That kind of resto/repair work is incredible. How did you ever find that shop, especially on the big island? I bet the insurance co. is just waiting to close out the bill on this accident!

I'm just waiting to see that car on the road again. It was such a beautiful sight to see in Kakaako.

8. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    Isn't one of the better Mercedes 300sl restoration shops on Big Island? I never really got very far in the exotic car scene when I lived there, but I do recall meeting quite a few people with the talent and patience to take on such a project.

9. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That would be Hale Merced and the owner is here. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/members/60874.html

10. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #60 sowest, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    C'mon Hawaii Autobody! It's time for the big push to get it out the door and back on the street! Larry will you be the guy to freshen up the mechanicals prior to be driven again?

12. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Kevin

I thought that the job would progress faster once the very hard job of the major body panel repair was done. It is a big, busy shop and they have many demands on their time. I would guess that, whatever the artistic satisfaction, the job is not as profitable as putting new fenders on year old Hondas.

The owner is pleased with the quality of the work and is keeping a good attitude.

Yes, when the time comes, I will go over to the Big Island and get the car started and ready for road use again.

Aloha
    Larry

13. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
  14. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #64 sowest, Nov 13, 2015
  15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    :). Excellent!

You'll have to careful starting that engine as it's been idle for so long ...
    Pete

16. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Almost there! I bet the insurance company will be glad to have that finally done.

17. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Pete and WPOZZZ

The car looks good and the owner is very happy with the result, if not the time table. They were able to straighten out everything except the rear panel. It was replaced. There is very, very little filler under that paint.

We will be very cautious about starting the engine.

The insurance company (State Farm) has been stellar. It may have helped that both parties in the accident were insured with them.

I have to admit to being very nervous about getting anywhere near a fresh paint job like that. It makes me think of years ago when a customer stopped by the shop to show me the beautiful new black paint job on his Dino. When he was ready to leave he pulled out a big bunch of keys and proceeded to drop them onto the air scoop cutout in the driver's door. It chipped off a sizeable chunk of paint. The yelling and swearing could be heard for blocks....;>)

Aloha
    Larry

18. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Oh so beautiful. It is surreal to think that I remember reading this thread more than 4 years ago. Little did I know my Ferrari would be driving around Honolulu before this Dino was again.

So great to see it getting properly fixed but holy island time. This took forever. If this happened on the main land lawsuits would have been filed 3 years ago.

The other thing I thought about is the value of the Dino from the time it got hit until now. Has it doubled or tripled? Would be interesting to hear the owners thoughts about using it like a daily driver now compared to prior to being hit.

19. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Steve

The insurance company provided the owner with a rental car for well over a year, perhaps as long as two years. They offered him a cash settlement to end the rental obligation. He took the money and used it towards buying a new car. He has other wheels now.

We have talked about driving the Dino. He is undecided. He is aware of the risks and the value of the car, but wonders, "What is the value, if I can't drive it?". I think he is still not convinced of the reality of having his car back....;>)

Aloha
    Larry

20. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #70 sowest, Jan 7, 2016
  21. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Larry, thanks a lot for the update. I didn't know the yellow one was yours previously. I got a nice picture of it at the last Octoberfest at The Pali GC. Couple years ago now. i just spent 10 minutes looking on computer, no luck. I WILL find it!

22. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Larry, that's the autobody shop with the lifts? Wow, that place is huge!

23. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I must say, I am amazed.

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The whole point of insurance is to put you back as though the accident didn't happen ... and that would be this car driving down the road and being enjoyed.

If the owner can't continue his love affair with this car, then having insurance has failed. What a pity.

Hopefully once he is behind the wheel and it has got dirt on it he will get back into the swing of it :)
    Pete

25. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi

Kevin: I owned the yellow Dino for, maybe, ten years. I hardly ever used it. I got it from a friend and customer that really wanted my 246 GTS. We did a trade. I sold it to a good home here when I lost some storage space and needed some money after several years of caring for an elderly parent. It was a tough decision, but I decided other cars were more attractive to me.

Bryan: The shop is Hawaii Autobody. They are on the Kona side of the Big Island.

Mike: The work has been slow, but they have done an amazing job. From the first picture in this thread to the last picture in this thread is quite a contrast!

Pete: I do think the owner will continue to use the car regularly, although it will not now be his only car. He keeps saying that there isn't another car that he enjoys as much. After this, I wonder if the insurance company will institute a new rule: NO FERRARI.....;>)

Aloha to all
    Larry