I'll duck in here............getting back in to flying..... Fears | FerrariChat

I'll duck in here............getting back in to flying..... Fears

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by PeterS, Jun 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I have owned a '76 172 Skyhawk and a '68 150. Enjoyed both planes. Back story is that when I met my now wife, I lived in the SF Bay Area and needed a way to get from San Jose to Sonora on Friday nights in a quick manner and beat the traffic. I purchased both planes at the same time. What I did was put the 172 on a flight line for rental. Most months, the rental income paid for both planes, it worked out for about four years. I had a handful of young pilots from the Santa Clara University aeronautical school who were my pilots. I did not pay them, but they had the chance to rack up hours. They had perks as I'd allow them to use my two planes on many occasions. When I posted an add for this at the college, I had about 20 calls in the first day! Win-Win for all. My love for flying came from learning to fly sail planes when I lived in Reno in the late 70's.

During my five or six years of flying back and forth from San Jose to Sonora, I racked up the hours as lessons. I did have my solo ticket and several times, my instructor in San Jose would OK my solo flight to Sonora on a Friday and my instructor in Sonora would do the same for my flight back to San Jose. I used the 150 most of the time but used the 172 (with my pilot) for days where the conditions were IFR.

Fast forward, I sold the planes a few years ago. With a gazillion lessons hours logged and about 150 hours of solo flights logged, I never did get my license. Now, I'd like to get back into flying sail planes but the following is the rub:

Though I have been blessed in being fairly successful in life, I have never done much of anything in by the numbers........and when it comes to flying, I know one has to buckle down and do it right. I never did that. I had a great comfort level doing all of the flying when I had an instructor with me but could never feel comfortable when flying on my own. I'd always think of the bad things that could go wrong while in flight and not knowing how to properly handle the situations.

For the above, I'm trying to find the confidence within myself to do things by the numbers and get my sail plane license but do not know how to do that. I still have the fear of getting myself into a situation where I would panic and screw up.

I'd like to think I can do this but maybe I'm just not 'the right stuff'.

Comments for encouragement?

2. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I am a naturally anxious person who weighs all options and possibilities, sometimes to my benefit and other times to my detriment. I tend to think too much, and it appears to me you may suffer from a similar affliction. I first became interested in flying because (of course) I always wanted to be a pilot, but also - completely paradoxically - flying scared the hell out of me (which honestly makes it attractive) and I wanted to learn aerobatics. I did sometimes think along the way to getting my license, "How the hell will I ever be comfortable and relaxed up here?" So many variables, responsibilities...and there was always that "what if" keeping me from being completely settled. Hundreds of hours later, I can tell you this - I'm so much more comfortable with a variety of situations, so much more confident, and a much better pilot...but that "what if" will never go away, and I will always be operating at a heightened state of awareness if I am piloting or just riding in an aircraft. AS IT SHOULD BE! Just as I feel a tinge of nervousness is good for a performer, that extra, slightly anxious attention to detail in an activity that can be tremendously unforgiving is not a bad headspace. I'm not talking about paralyzing fear - that does you no favors. You have to be able to remain cool and diagnose issues should they arise, but I can tell you that you have to take ownership of fear and truly admit to it's grip on you before you can start to use it constructively. You have to be able to walk to the ledge, look down, and say, "Yep, I'm still going to jump".

You very well may surprise yourself. About eight or nine years ago I ran into a situation while doing aerobatics that, for a moment, looked like I may not make it home (interestingly, it turned out to be a badly slipping trim tab). Training and good old common sense prevailed, my mind went front to back through the airplane trying to find the issue, and it was handled. No panic, and I don't remember any fear. For a moment, I thought my dog would be pretty bummed when I didn't come home, but that was it. :) It wasn't until I was on the ground that it hit me how proud I should be of myself for how I had handled the event. For the first time, I felt like I could actually call myself a pilot...because all of the people I consider real pilots have stories JUST like that.

Nothing in life that is without some degree of calculated risk is worth doing. You just have to jump off.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I am no high time sparkling tooth swagger guy pilot but I have been blessed with the ability to address a task without worrying about failure. Luckily , I have been able to concentrate on what has to be done and then try to do it. No superman here, just one that has the natural ability to jump in and get involved. My word! You have already accomplished a lot of stuff so that indicates that you have the ability. I never worried about disaster but I always had a mental plan of action laid out to use if I had to. I have had to dip into that file a couple of times and found myself analyzing the situation and figuring a plan to get out of it. The old saw, fly the plane first and think about what has to be done in an analytical manner. Then do it. I hope that you just dive back into it and have a good time with it.

4. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #4 PeterS, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Thank you two, really appreciate the comments. To me, flying should be as comfortable as driving a car, which is something I ALWAYS saw in instructors. I'm not sure I can get to that point. Does that make any sense? That's where the barrier is for me.

Story: I was flying home from Sonora and a mag blew out in my 172 about 20 miles out. I noticed this as my rate of clime was like 75-100 feet per minute which I pointed out to my CFI. He knew what was going on and was waiting for me to catch this problem. In asking 'what do I do', he said "its your plane". Great! I was NOT comfortable. After he pointed out that we blew a mag, he walked me through the procedures to talk to Stockton Approach and land the plane after showing me how to check the L and R ignition switch which proved the mag had gone south. These are situations where my comfort level is not in tack. My CFI was as cool as a cucumber!

Tcar likes this.
  5. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    The question then is - do you think your CFI was so nonchalant the FIRST time that happened to him? :) Its all in the experience, and you do learn to be more comfortable. It’s a lot like turbulence. Newbies always think light to moderate turbulence is really knocking them around...then they encounter the real stuff and don’t even notice the light stuff again :)

6. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Maybe not nonchalant, but (maybe in a weird way) enjoyed the challenge. Most all career pilots I know knew since they were a kid that wanted to become pilots. That's what they wanted to do. I never had that burning ambition but I always enjoyed flying. I'm thinking that is the line here. From when I was very young (ten years old), I wanted to be in sales and that has been my career since then. To me, the comfort level for sales is like driving a car. I don't have that 110% comfort when flying on my own and I'm not sure I have the ability to get past that but I'd certainly like to.

For the pilots here reading this, it's OK to say 'Pete, I don't think you are cut out for flying'. I can soak that up because I have given adequate reasons above as to why I may not be. On the other hand, I know that pilots as a whole always want to find ways to encourage those like myself to get out there and fly, thus my reaching out here :)

7. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I promise I won't post again because I fear I'm starting to sound preachy :) but - I fought this in several ways and it's an issue near and dear to me.

I had pretty severe motion sickness starting out and again when I got into acro. I mean BAD. God bless my instructors for enduring the entire contents of my stomach being ejected into a barf bag for probably 8-10 hours. I really started to think, "Man, maybe this is a sign that I'm just not cut out for this stuff." Oddly enough considering your example, I started flying at ten years old with no problem, left it while music took over my life, and came back to it at about 26. The fire never went out, but perhaps something had changed physiologically that just would not allow me to fly...?

That made me mad, to be honest. So I decided I would endure until the sickness gave up. I love aviation that much, evidenced by the fact that no matter how horrible I felt in the airplane, I was always excited to book my next flight the moment I was on the ground.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that I knew I could overcome the problems I had, or at least I made my mind up that they would not continue to be obstacles. I even had an instructor early on who told me I may want to reconsider trying to become a pilot. That just made me more determined. So ultimately, it's completely up to you. If you can honestly say, "No, I'll never be 100% at home with this" OK, do yourself and your loved ones a favor and don't pursue it. If you KNOW that about yourself, it's probably best to stay on the ground. You must be confident up there.

Also, it's an awfully expensive endeavor anymore. I can't imagine why anyone who is not really passionate about flying would even think about it, because it can inflict serious financial pain and suffering :) If you have had two airplanes, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir!

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'd go take a lesson or two and see how it feels. If it makes you anxious and you don't like it, then stop. Otherwise maybe keep going.

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Read the OP... has had many lessons. Even been signed off for solo.
    Apparently not comfortable with flying alone.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Peter, to give you a vote of confidence and optimism, I think you could do it if becoming a "check list" pilot. Have the most complete checklists for everything and follow them 100% of the time. I think there are many natural pilots that can be unsafe by skimping on the checklists. Basically, you may not be a natural, but you may end up better if a 100% dedicated checklist pilot.

Also by thinking and accepting that things can go wrong, I think that makes you a better pilot too. Similar to the above, some of least safe pilots I knew were probably the most naturally gifted with thousands of military time and instructing too. What made them unsafe? One simple thing, God. They were so religious, that they were sloppy with flying thinking it was fate and God's will if anything bad happened or if they should be spared.

Understand and know something can go wrong and you have 100% control over doing the BEST you can do.

Chupacabra likes this.
  11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    One of my grizzled old instructors said, " YOU are the pilot! Work the problem, and NEVER LET YOURSELF BECOME A PASSENGER!"

12. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Thanks guys. I’ll re-read again later to soak up the good comments further. Appreciate you all being cool as there are other forum areas here where an OP would get flamed out. Not here, I respect that.

13. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I say give it another go I bet you can handle it.:)

... Or we can always meet up again for some Mexican food ;)

14. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Thank you Rob. Are you saying that these were truly God fearing men that counted on God to cover for their sloppy flying habits? That's horrible! God may know my destiny but if I stall a plane and get stuck in a spin, he sure is not going to jump in the left seat and straighten things out!

I like your 'Become a check-list pilot'. Sure, all pilots go through them but you are saying they are the bible when you are about to take off and land and take each one to heart. I just may need more time than others. On a few occasions. I asked my CFI not to do anything unless I missed something that could cause a series of bad events or if we were about to die. That was Adrian. He was cool about it and one out of four or five flights he did that on, he did not say a word. It was only an hour-15 flight but I felt good when we landed. He pointed out 10-12 things I needed to fix but nothing major. Maybe more of such flights will do me good.

Thanks!

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Years ago. Things change...

Peter, keep in mind the old saying "the sky, like the sea, is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, very unforgiving of any carelessness or neglect."

16. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    That's a good one. I also like the quote from Amelia Earhart ............."Trouble in the air is very rare. It is hitting the ground that causes it."

17. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Flying is like learning a new language. You have to do it a lot to be proficient. Flying is what I do. That's my thing. You cannot fly "casually" as you can drive a car. Your mind forgets quicker than it learns.