I'll just leave this here... | FerrariChat

I'll just leave this here...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by NYC Fred, May 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Both teams are good and do about the same thing, one has a louder PR system, however. Two dissimilar formations shown.
    Bob, USAAF '43-'45

NürScud and Tcar like this.
  3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I should have said, USAAC 1943. USAAF 1944-1945. I think that's correct.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- June 1941 USAAC became USAAF, but nearly everything produced back then seemed to have Air Corps stenciled on it and nearly everyone in WW-II said they were in the Air Corps.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    You're correct, Terry. Just about everything that we saw was "Army Air Corps" marching songs, portable equipment and wear items were US Army Air Corps. I still have a "Ditty bag" with US Army stenciled on it. That's a long time ago for me and and some times details get crossed. Most of the time they are not, though. Looking at the contemporary "restorations" of B-17's and B-24's with the interiors dutifully painted with zinc chromate always gives me a desire to send somebody a correction that they were never painted inside with the green zinc except in the flight deck that was exposed to daylight. Insulating blankets were dark green quilted material.They weren't expected to last more than a few hours in combat and if they did ,they wouldn't be kept for long after the war. I can remember seeing " Alcad" printed all over the interior side of the skins. Occasionally when we were dismantling things in maintenance there would be, "KILROY WAS HERE" painted on something. Memories firmly imprinted .

Jacob Potts and Tcar like this.
  6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Bob is our 'in-house' encyclopedia.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I 'm not sure of that since I have been corrected so many times. This forum is an aviation encyclopedia with so many contributors that have done so many things. Never uninteresting.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    NürScud and Bob Parks like this.