I'll take back my raving about Invicta watches! | FerrariChat

I'll take back my raving about Invicta watches!

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by up4speed, Feb 25, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A short while ago, I was raving about how good of a deal Invicta watches were for the money. I'm writing here to withdraw that statement. I have a dozen or so Invictas, and really liked the watches, but there won't be another purchase by me...just a matter of point.
    The other day I replaced a battery on one of my invictas, and I had a little screw up. The hold down screw for the battery got lost while I was replacing the battery. I figured, no big deal, I'll call invicta and order one. After speaking to the parts guy, he told me that by opening it, I voided the warranty. Even though that's a bunch of garbage, I still didn't care. I look at these watches as disposable, and once they ruin, they go in the garbage. It wouldn't be worth shipping it in for a repair.
    The worst part is that in order to get that screw, I have to order the whole mechanism! They don't sell that hold down screw by itself. I would imagine that they are lost daily by people, even their technicians (they are very tiny). I also know that they should have plenty of them because I have many Invictas with the same hold down screw. It's not a part unique to that one watch. In a nutshell, my watch is totalled because of a battery hold down screw! I'm not happy, and I don't think that there will be any Invictas in my future.
    I just wanted to vent, and withdraw my raving reviews. the watches are still nice, but the service really stinks.......no lecturing about getting what you pay for please ;)

2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Sorry for your situation.

That little screw has to be readily available at a generic watch repair place.
    I'd call around and get someone to fix it. Probably cost you less than $40 to fix it.

BTW, I assume Invicta uses a standard third-party movement on the inside so because they don't manufacture the movement, their only source for parts is to sell you the entire movement.

walnut likes this.
  3. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Honestly, this doesn't sound too bad. At least they will sell you parts. Try that with an Omega. You would need to be a registered repair facility.

-dsd

4. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #4 up4speed, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    Yeah, but unfortunately the only parts their willing to send me is the WHOLE mechanism. That will cost more than the whole watch! LOL
    At least the Omega is worth repairing. Invictas are basically disposable. However, I didn't think I would have to junk it just for a small screw.
    I guess I'll ask at a jeweler to see if he can match up that screw for me. If not, I'll just use that watch for parts on my other Invictas.

5. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I figured that, but I can send it in for repair if I want. If I send it to them, they can put the screw back in without changing the whole mechanism. That's why I have to guess that they have parts available...why can't they just sell me the screw for a few bucks?
    A big contrast from Skagen. My brother had a Skagen that he damaged the bracelet on. The company sent him a repair part for free!...and it was HIS fault.

6. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    I can send you a screw, just give me the caliber number of the movement. Im pretty sure I know which one, but just to make sure I would like to know the caliber.

The screw I will send you is silver, not gold plated like the one you lost :)

7. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'd sure hope it would be less than $40. Local jeweler here charges $5 to replace the battery in quartz watches - including the cost of the battery! Don't know how he does it, but all my wife's watches go there & I always shop him first when looking for unique jewelry.

8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #8 up4speed, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That is soooo nice of you! I really appreciate the offer. At least I can get more use out of the watch this way. I don't want to put you out, unless absolutely necessary, so I'll try and get it today from a jeweler that is local. If I can't I will PM you with my info.
    It's an 8173 movement (crappy, lol). See the attached photo (I used an iPhone through a mgnafying glass). The screw I need is the one that belongs in the threads (in the gold tear drop shape) to the left of where the battery belongs.
    Thanks again!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Vtchris,
    I think I have to take you up on the generous offer. I checked 3 different places near me, and no one has the screw. I'll PM you,
    Thanks!

10. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    They are en route via US mail.
    Glad to be of service. :)

Next time, just unscrew that little bugger 2 turns and slide the battery contact over.
    But just in case you forget, I sent you 2 screws, one for next time :D

11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks, you are awesome!
    I don't even think I did 2 turns?? I turned it just enough to slide the cover over, put the battery in, slid the cover back under the screw head. That's where it went all wrong! LOL. I made the mistake of assuming that the screw head would hold everything in place while I reached for the screwdriver. As soon as I let go....BOING, the pressure shot the screw up (I guess I WAS more than 2 turns ;) ), I heard it bounce, but couldn't find it for the life of me. AAARRGGGHH
    Lesson learned, keep pressure on the battery cover until I tighten screw fully. I've changed dozens of batteries in watches, and never had this happen before.

By the way, I left a message the other day for the parts manager at Invicta to call me regarding the screw (before Chris made the generous offer), and I'm still waiting for a call back. I'm starting to believe everything I previously heard about Invicta customer service being the worst on this planet.

12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Hmmm my Invicta battery is low...think ill just have a watch shop replace the battery.
    I really do like their designs though.

13. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    Just goes to show ya a little screw can go a long way in building a relationship

14. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    #14 RacerX_GTO, Feb 25, 2013
    wow? Not trying to be a 'smarty', but that looks less complicated than my Fossil knock around watch.
    Had the entire chrono/movement replaced two months ago
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #15 up4speed, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    The service manager just called me, she confirmed that the only way to get that screw is to send it in for service. She also confirmed that if anyone opens it, even a jeweler, the warranty is void! I asked how much the battery replacement would cost. It was approximately $50 for shipping and battery. For a $70 watch? I don't think so. The MSRP may be $350, but that's garbage, it's a $70 watch (very nice one though).
    They are very cool and stylish watches, but i guess I will slow down buying them (probably stop completeley) now that I know the "down side" of Invictas.
    Oh well...

16. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I want to point out what a great FChatter VTChris is. Not only is he a great member here, he's an awesome watch vendor. I've probably bought 10 watches from him.

17. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    Time to start buying Automatics. Problem solved :)

18. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    This thread is why watchmakers love people who try to do their own repairs.

19. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Have plenty of those, I have to agree.

Yes that's guaranteed work for them LOL. I don't mess with my expensive watches for obvious reasons. I've worked on my cheap watches for many years with success. Probably because I usually only do band sizing and batteries. This was only the first or maybe second time I had an issue.

20. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    VTChris,
    I got the screws in the mail today. The smaller one fit perfectly! YOU ARE THE MAN!
    You basically saved my watch. Thanks again,
    I really appreciate you taking the initiative and offering the part to me. I owe you a beer ;)

21. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Ok, now let's see the face on your baby!

22. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #22 up4speed, Mar 1, 2013
  23. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Glad it worked out, I don't drink though :)

24. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Lol, I guess I owe you a steak then.

25. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Nice rant. I like the part where you say the watches are disposable, then you get mad because you're going to have to dispose of one. ;)