I'm back, got my first problem, 2007 - 599 GTB Battery issues | FerrariChat

I'm back, got my first problem, 2007 - 599 GTB Battery issues

Discussion in '612/599' started by KENCO, Aug 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Hi Guy's and Gal's,

I was a TR owner, sold it about 10 years ago and now just got a 2007 599 GTB.

First issue is the battery and charging port and battery hold down bracket.
    It looks like someone replaced the battery with what looks like the correct gel battery, in doing so disconnected the charging port and got rid of it, along with a steel bracket that sits close or on the battery that has two holes for affixing the interior trunk carpet walls. I really cant get a good pic of the bracket, so I do not know what to call it. it looks like number 11, or the silver bracket in the pic, are these the same? I know the charging port is supposed to be in there somewhere but I cant find it. Can I hook up a standard trickle charger wire and call it a day? That would mean I would not gat alight on the dash when it is charging but that's OK with me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Very early 599s had an optional Zivan charger like your image from the parts catalog, so she may never have been fitted with that $800 option. The Zivans were very quickly replaced with standard CTEK chargers that used a different connector.

So, the question would be, which type of charger do you have? The CTEKs connected under a panel with a big coin/screwdriver fitting in the middle on the right side of the trunk.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
  4. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Nope, I don't have a port like that, I have a battery disconnect there. GreaT Pic of the bracket tho, mine maybe never came with a charging port, so can I hook up a trickle charger right to the battery posts?

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Sorry, brain was a little numb from working on accounting all morning. Here is a better picture and I moved the cable out of the way. The charge port is the D shaped thing just below and to the left of the disconnect.

3 pins are used: +, -, and one that makes the dash display that the charger is attached. But yes, you could use a standard connector directly to the battery, that is what this really amounts to. The only difference is that there is a little panel the can easily be taken off to plug in the charger.

6. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    my battery cutoff looks different, and I know what the charging port should look like, it's just not there.
    I am going to check to see if there is anything under the passenger dash. I would like to use a factory connector if it's there. But I still need to order the bracket and some screws, not sure why it's not there, must not have fit when the put the battery in, ughhhg backyard mechanics, that bracket costs about $150, I will make it fit, it holds the trunk carpet where the book goes.

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    OK, I will find the data I saved on the cable and connections and send it to you in PM or post here. I made an adapter or two so I could use other chargers and the dash light works. If you need other pics or want me to look at something specific there let me know.

And yes, there is a second version of the cutoff switch that was used on earlier cars. I believe the handle was part of the switch, like the 360. This is just a hex stud and there is a key to fit over it, kind of like some outdoor faucets.

NOTE: the early 612s had a different twist-lock mil connector for the charger. They can be had but they are not easy to find. There is a thread on here somewhere about them too but I wouldn't go that way since they are so hard to find. :)

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, you can just get a charger with alligator clips that works directly off the battery terminals. I have a CTEK that works that way.

9. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Anthony James and Skidkid like this.
  10. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Me too.
    the first 599s got that installation

11. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    So you do our don't have the plug in connecter for the trickle charger? Is that a Ctek clamp for a charger I see on there? You have a nice clamp/bracket, That's what I need. Is your charging port under the dash on the passenger side? I was wrong, the bracket is $284,, and i still need more parts to install it, I found a complete used battery tray with everything I need, I made an offer.

Also what's the wire with the blue cap off on it, I have that too, not sure what it is.

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    There is a little cover/door in the trunk's side panel by the battery. That uncovers the cutoff switch AND the charging port. I replaced my battery yesterday but didn't put the panel back yet. I will try to get a picture of that later today for you.

In the mean time you can check out this site. He has a pic of the access panel and shows how the wiring is for the cable:
    https://www.kumari.net/index.php/cars/ferrari-battery-charger-cable

13. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    if not wrong, there is no charging port on the early 599s ( mine is November 2006)

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I think it was an option. I don't know if they had the door there or not. Assuming that they did not you could pretty easily install an SAE socket in the sidewall (link to one below). Then you just pop the trunk and pretty much any charger will connect.

https://smile.amazon.com/Billion-wealth-Connecters-Extension-Maintainer/dp/B09HNTLYXK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2BHSKC2XVPLFO&keywords=SAE%2BSocket&qid=1661102108&sprefix=sae%2Bsocket%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-3&th=1

15. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I have the panel/door, it's for the battery cutoff, there is NO charging port in there. And no port under the dash, that was a long shot but worth looking for.
    My battery cutoff is nothing like yours, mine is like this.

[​IMG]

I am going to use a standard tender/charger. I have been to that link, if I had a port that would be helpful, but no port, I will hook up a permanent wire with connector like I had on my other cars, just open the door and attach tender when the car is going to sit for awhile.

Skidkid likes this.
  16. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    What's the blue capped off wire in your picture, do you know?

17. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
  18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I do not know either. I don't have that in my car.

And yes, you plan is exactly what I would do. :)

19. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    got all the brackets for the battery and screws for the carpet for $150 on eBay and the Ctek charger bundle on Amazon for $139, in a few weeks I will have some time to put it all together.

I will take some pictures, thanks guy's! Big fist bump.:)

20. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
  21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Usually all you need are longer J-hooks, which are readily available.

Skidkid likes this.
  22. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    My Ctek bundle came in Today, it has included in it a connector for plugging into a cigarette lighter, is it that easy? Can I use that for trickle charging my car?

23. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I have the factory charger and port for my 599. But I don’t use it. I installed the Ctek harness to the battery. The battery disconnect interferes with the factory port. To use the factory charger I have to loosen the holdown bracket to align the insert into the port. Not worth the extra effort. The Ctek makes it easier.

24. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Found this, The lighter port is not active until the key is turned on, so I cant use it.

"Yes, it is possible to charge the battery through a cigarette lighter socket, but there is a couple of caveats:
    1. The car's circuitry must have the lighter socket "live". ...
    2. The charge rate must be kept low enough not to blow a fuse associated with the lighter socket (often 10 Amps)."

25. HK Mondial

HK Mondial Karting

Mar 12, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    You can buy an adaptor for the CTek so you can use the standard factory charger port . Mine came from a supplier in UK.

SCantera and Skidkid like this.