I'm back! | FerrariChat

I'm back!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Xeron, Nov 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    Well, after getting a divorce, selling the 458 and going the route of Porsche for a while (Hated the cars btw: owned 4 911s all the A/C units started smelling),.. I'm back !.... This is my 3rd California and second California T ! It's good to be back !

Xeron!

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Welcome back to the Ferrari fold! What year 911s did you own? I've not heard of that AC issue before...T

3. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    I owned a 2014 Carrera S Cab, 2015 Carrera S cab, 2015 Turbo S cab and last a 2017 GTS Cab. All and I repeat all of them started to smell from the A/C. I lost a ****load of money turning each in thinking I did something wrong until the last one. Never buying a Porsche again. I think it has something to do with the software that controls the fresh air intake. I live in Vegas and I was told if the car temp is above a certain level the car goes into re-circ mode. The condensation builds up and when the car is closed and it's hot, the evaporator box incubates slime mold. The last one however, I never put it into auto circulate, I turned off the compressor 10 minutes before I stopped the car and dried the box out, left the windows always cracked to ventilate the car and it still started smelling. So, at this point your guess is as good as mine. The cars were a joy to drive but the smell was unbearable. In addition, I did the "Fridgy Fresh" spray in the Turbo and Porsche even changed out the evaporator box. Smell came back after a month.

4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William

Looks like the common factor is cabriolet. My 911 was a 2014 tts coupe and I never had the problem although I know it was an issue for some. I am trying to remember what car we had that did this and the problem was fixed by replacing the filter. It wasn't a Porsche though. This isn't related to the brand. Hope it doesn't happen to your Cali T. Mine still smells like new leather.

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Mine is an '11 S coupe & have not noticed any funk. Despite living in Texas, I don't use a.c. much preferring fresh air & seat ventilators until it gets triple digits...T

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The "funk" is due to mildew growing in the ventilation pipework.

To eliminate it, you must make sure the pipework is dry when you put your car away after using the A/C. Unfortunately, the A/C cools the pipes and with a humid environment the cool pipes will cause condensation if you simply stop the car after you use the A/C.

The proper way to fix this problem is not with disinfectant sprays and whatnot - you'll just waste money and poison the air you breathe. Instead, you TURN OFF the A/C about 5 minutes before you arrive at your destination to let the pipework warm back up to ambient temperature while you drive those last 5 minutes. This prevents condensation and your Pcars will smell fine.

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Good advice, regardless of car. I make the wife turn off the AC about a mile from home. She complained at first, but she knows I'm right. And, hates to hear me whine!
    T

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    LOL! Maybe you can show her this thread discussion if she tires of your whining. :D I used to also get the funk in my BMW until my trusty BMW mechanic wised me up.