I'm coming to Dallas... 2/16-2/18 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I'm coming to Dallas... 2/16-2/18

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Bmyth-FDC, Feb 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We're meeting at Champs 12:45, but we'll wait for you. Jim gave the best directions. Look on the map, you're top left corner (Royal & 161 I think) and you want to head to NE corner of 114 and MacArthur. You might ask someone there at the office first.

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Did you drive it in the snow?

It looks like I'll make it. My meeting has been moved to 1:00 and I don't think I need to attend.

3. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    It was great to meet you guys today - good to see that the tifosi spirit is very much alive and well in all parts of the country... :)

Thanks again for lunch, Rob!

Yoshi, Jim, Jim, Tillman, Rob... psssst... California!! :)

Byron

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It was great meeting you Byron and Jim. Sorry I can't hang out more this week. Please let me know next time you're in town Byron and we'll plan something, "after hours" too. :)

5. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Great meeting you guys too

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Good seeing all of you.

If you get bored enough to want to race electric carts, give me a buzz. (I'm such the party animal :D)

7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Funniest thing, as we were leaving Tillman and I were being held up in the parking lot by a Red Kia.... Don't know about you but I thought she ran in to that curbe when she tried to do that rapid u turn....

8. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Jim/Byron, nice to meet you both. It was funny when I got back to my office I looked out the window and there were Tillman and Byron looking at Tillmans car!

9. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    It was pleasure meeting you Byron & Jim, and good to see you guys again, Rob, Jim, Tillman.

Thanks for the lead, Byron. He already called & left a message. I hope this will work out!

Yoshi Ace

10. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Remember, if you need someone to drive it home......

11. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron

No problem, Yoshi. He is an avid collector and can be trusted. I was just kidding about the commission, but a future test drive is definitely in order if you pick it up! Btw, I'll be going back to LA this weekend... if you want, I can check out the car for you - it's currently sitting at FX Performance...

See attached pics! :)

Byron

12. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Damn Yoshi I bet that comes with new seat covers .. :0)

13. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Byron, thanks for pics. I envy your skill to post pics even away from your own computer. Your offer for check up is very much appreciated, and of course, if I bought the car, you can drive it. I called him already.

I just don't know where to start as I never bought a car outside of my residential state. Maybe I should go visit first to see the car???

Jim, are you coming w/ me?

Dazed, confused, but happy!

14. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I'll come when you BUY it to drive it home!

First, talk to the owner. Talk about history, what he knows about the car. Does it have records/books? If you think you're interested at the price he's asking, then get a PPI done. If the PPI checks out, THEN you get on a plane to go see for yourself. If you like it when you see it, buy it. Worry about getting it home after it's yours.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If it's not sold, there's a Rossa Corsa one at FoBH too with 13k miles.

Also, like we were saying at lunch one was bought in Houston and then the owner died a short time later, don't know if that's for sale.

Sports Car Market and Cavallino say there were 500 made, but FoBH site says 75 and I've heard 75 elsewhere too. Anyone know for sure? Seems like 500 is a more accurate number. I know of at least five 512M's off the top of my head.

16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    500 made, 75 imported into the US

17. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Thank you very much for advice, Jim & Rob!

I talked to the owner, and he maybe a famous guy as a car collector. He said that he changes his part of collection in every 3-4 months, and he got his 512M along w/ cash for a trade of F40. He told me of existing problem of warped dash board, which will cost about $1,000 to repair. He was very nice, and polite.

There's 1 more party who's interested in the car right now, so he told me to hurry to come look at the car. Before reading Jim's post, I was thinking to fly in this weekend, but then what Jim said made perfect sense. So I will negotiate beforehand.

My concern is how to get PPI. How can I find someone I can trust & who is not influenced by the seller. And if what PPI said wasn't true once I get the car, what happens? I bought my 328 w/out PPI, since I bought it at FMoD & knew some work needs to be done. So I have no experience w/ PPI.

Any comment will be greatly appreciated. You can PM me if you prefer, too.

18. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    The car's in LA, right? There has to be quite a few places that can do a PPI. Off the top of my head, and I don't live there, I can think of Lyle Tanner, Eugenio, and Ferrari of Orange County. There's also the place in Laguna Beach that sells a lot of Ferraris. Post a thread in the So California section about who does PPI's, you should get a bunch of responses.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    FX Performance is one of our sponsors, I don't know if they do PPI's or not.

20. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    The car is at FX Performance right now, and it has been serviced there. The seller use FX as his track & maintenance need. (I'm think there are others too)

Is it wise to use them for PPI? Conflict of interest? I will give them a call in 1-2 days.

21. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Hello,

It's been quite some time since my last post and would like to share my thoughts and info relative to this topic. Yoshi, is this the same car that's been offered through Ferrari-online (Michael Sheehan)? If yes, I just saw the car 2 weeks ago in CA at FAI (Francochamp of America, Inc). This was actually the car I was interested in buying while in CA but ultimately decided not to (puchased something else instead). The car was presented to me as mechanically excellent but the dash does need to be recovered due to the leather shrinkage (apparently a common issue). Also revealed to me was that the roof had a minor repair done (a samall dent caused by someone's elbow???).

I think a PPI is definitely in order. Ferrari of Orange County isn't far away. Your total cost should be around $500 to 600. Once purchased, I'm assuming you would want to have it shipped back to Dallas via enclosed transport (unless you and Jim will take turn driving it back). There are several transport co's you can use. My recent purchase was shipped back to Dallas (from CA) via Intercity. The total cost was around $1,000. It took less tha 2 days (picked up SAT morning and arrived Sun afternoon).

If you have additional questions/concerns, please feel free to pm me. Hope this helps.

22. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    lee168, thank you very much for info. Yes, it turned out the same car that I originally inquired to Mr. Sheehan 2 weeks ago. By the time, I inquired on the car, it wasn't listed in his site anymore.

I knew of dash problem, but didn't know about a roof. That maybe why his price is lower than others in the market. How bad was it?

If you prefer, I will PM next time, but I do want your feedback since you have seen the car. Did you drive it?

Yoshi Ace

23. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Yoshi, The roof damage was insignificant. At least that was told to me by Rod Drew at FAI. The roof has been repaired and when I saw the car, I can't notice it at all. Apparently, this car has been worked on by Rod Drew at FAI. FAI also did the recent major service on the car (I believe the receipts show approx $13,000). Exactly what was included in this major service I do not recall. I'm sure the owner of the car can supply you with that. OR, you can contact Rod at 949-631-6373. I find that Rod is above board and is knowledgable on this car. The interior of the car looks decent, considering that it has approx 15,000+ miles on it(?). The dash does show shrinkage and will cost any where from $1,000 to $3,000 to fix it, depending on who you ask.

It appears to me that this car has been serviced at different places (FAI, FX, etc.). That said, if you want an unbiased opinion in terms of a PPI, I would personally lean more towards Ferrari of Orange County. This, of course, is with the assumption that FOC has not worked on the car before and should have no conflict of interest. If the potential conflict of interest doesn't bother you, then FAI can certainly perform the PPI for you as well (Rod did the PPI on my recent purchase).

Lastly, I did not drive the car while I was there. At the time when I finally saw it, I had already made up my mind on a different car. Sorry I can't tell you how it drives.

Please let me know if I could help further.

Eddie Lee

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    FYI, Costa (FX) did work with FoOC for their Challenge cars if that means anything.

25. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Rob, thanks for the info. I was not aware of it.