I'm in | Page 5 | FerrariChat

I'm in

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by scowman, Feb 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Stripped the shocks and they are ready to ship out today. Pretty easy. I did not need a spring compressor. The ring nut does that job.

The shock absorber pads are shot and half shot respectively. Unfortunately they are NLA. Anybody have a alternative part? SPUK offers #113582 but it's not listed for the 456. I'm concerned the beefey rear post is too big for that pad. SPUK seems to know their business though.

Shock bushings are shot too.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
  3. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I just found out Bilstien no longer rebuilds OEM shocks, just aftermarket. I have trouble throwing $500 per shock for some of those performance places but I might be stuck. Thoughts?

4. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    500 seems cheap to me. Delta Vee?

5. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    That's per shock and it's $550. Yes, Delta Vee.

So Bilstien has authorized Performance Shock in CA to handle all this work now and is referring it there. $250 for the same Bilstien service + 4 weeks back log. So the price has gone up for the same service. One thought is to do all four now, + bushings, etc. + radiator + gas tanks in the 5 weeks she is going to be down for waiting for the shocks. The other is to spend $ on two DV rebuilds.

A compromise is to send the rears to DV and the fronts to PS, but it's still going to be 5 weeks downtime.

I know the DV and PS rebuilds are not in the same league and I get what a pay for...

Anyone use Performance Shock? How about the Bilstien rebuilds? Have they blown out?

http://performanceshock.com/

6. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Ken, the Bilstein rebuilds were not worthwhile IMHO, one of mine started leaking again within a few weeks after receiving them back, and it hadn't even seen service yet. It was leaking on the shelf..... Others' experience may differ, but I was not pleased.

7. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Hard to argue with that data point. Thanks for the feedback.

8. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Had mine rebuilt at Performance Shock about one year (~10k miles) ago and still going strong. No leaks or even sweating.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Very limited, if any warranty, on PS because they use the same crummy Bilstein parts. Delta Vee uses their own proprietary parts and you get a warranty. I would rather do a half set at a time and know they were correct if she were mine. Luckily, 575M Sachs shocks tend to be a lot tougher. Ferrari gave up on Bilsteins pretty quickly since they cost them a lot from warranty work.

10. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Agreed, Had both my fronts rebuilt last season by an indy shop in Toronto area, lasted 5K Kms (3k Miles) and blew, both of them. Errrr....
    Rob started to tear mine down this week and it appears the shop in Toronto, didn't do much of a rebuild, I hate doing things twice!
    Plan to complete rears with Rob at DV next season.

11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Plus Delta Vee gives a lifetime transferable warranty on rebuilds, and I know from firsthand experience, they stand behind their work.

12. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I can add only good things about Delta Vee. Had all 4 of my 550’s shocks rebuilt by Rob and also had the shock mounts modified. 20,000 miles later and no issues.

13. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Front shocks are off. Big thanks again to cls for his process thread. Stripped and ready to ship out.

Attached Files:

14. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Too late now, but for anyone else reading and considering this, if sending to Delta Vee, you don’t have to take the springs off. They do it and send it back set up exactly as they were.

15. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Very expensive shipping.

16. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm sorry the car is going to be down for so long, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

17. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Thanks man.

This is my list so far:

1. Shocks + bombs flush pump (all corners)
    2. Bushings + ball joints (all corners)
    3. Radiator shop service
    4. Fuel pumps (fuel smell in trunk)
    5. Fuel filters
    6. Trans oil
    7. Brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed
    8. Motor mounts

18. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Do the transmission mounts while you’re at it. Delta Vee is definitely the best when it comes to these shocks. As stated earlier, they manufacture their own parts to rebuild them. I had the fronts done by Bilstein here in Aus, and DV did the rears. I learnt the hard way that I should have sent the fronts to Rob as well. If you’re doing the fuel pumps, get the rubber fuel pump mountings as well. They perish. The fuel pump top housing tends to crack as well. This could be the source of your smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Good idea on the tranny mounts.

20. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    Hi Gizzi I’ve just had my

21. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Yes. Got them done in Sydney by Bilstein. Cost twice as much than Delta Vee, and used original Parts. I’d have rather had them done by DV with their bespoke seals. They are working fine, but cost me more than sending the rears to the states to be repaired.

abilliet likes this.
  22. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    Just had all 4 done by Bilstein $1900 total. Rear more expensive than front. Hope they last

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    I hope, for your sake, they last. I wasn’t going to take the chance. They replace the seals etc. with the same crappy parts.

24. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Ken,

Lucky you didn't have a shock body split. Those are known for that if the car is driven too long with shot accumulators. Had it happen to a friend's '97 456. I obtained a good secondhand shock for him and replaced both accumulators and all has been well ever since. On my '99, the first time I drove it, I immediately felt the hard ride of the rear end so did both accumulators ASAP.

When you button the job all up, fill the reservoir with Dex III ATF and fire the car up, it'll suck some fluid down as it fills the shocks and the liquid side of the accumulators, just let it idle 10-15 mins then check fluid and take it for a drive. Any air in the system will self-bleed.

Good rule of thumb with accumulators is replace them immediately on any recent 456 purchase unless you know they were recently done. And going forward, 10 years seems to be about their lifespan. And as for replacements, as others have said, they're the same as a BMW part (X5 I think) but make sure to get Corteco or Febi Bilstein brand, stay away from Meyle, they're not as good.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Congrats... The venture begins enjoy it !