I'm in | Page 6 | FerrariChat

I'm in

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by scowman, Feb 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    One day delivery from Amazon
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stu- Ride is definitely smoother with wheels and tires.

She is looking good.

Gizzi likes this.
  4. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Much less understeer as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Replaced the left side bomb and fuel filter. Those two go together really well as you get more room to work when you take the bomb out. Judging by the undercoating on both I would say they were original. The both went pretty well except I don't have an 11mm line wrench. I don't even have an 11mm wrench and the crescent wrench was not going to cut it after almost 25 years. So I bought a set of metric crows feet line wrenches. Worked like a charm. Helped getting the old fuel filter off as well. Probably will do the right side tomorrow.

Fennicus and Il Tifoso like this.
  6. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Well the bomb may have been original, but the fuel filters should have been replaced many times already unless the service program was seriously neglected.

FWIW although I hate mixing metric and imperial tools and fasteners, as far as sockets and spanners go by wrenching of English cars has taught me that 11mm and 7/16 UNF are a perfect match. Most other sizes do not match and BSF/BSW is another story. But on the 456 GT everything is metric except that for 11mm nuts and bolts can be opened and fastened with 7/16 UNF tools.

Cheers!

7. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Fuel filters were definitely original. Not sure of their maintenance schedule. Car only has 36k miles on it so it may be within spec if it is mileage and not age.

8. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Right side bomb and fuel filter done this morning. Bomb is a bit fidley as the bracket is right up against the frame brace. Not sure why that is different side to side.

9. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Radiator is out. That was a fiddley wiggle! Hope it will go back in easier. I have the distinct honor of having one of the few radiators that has the oil side welded to the water side. Lucky me! My options are pretty limited. Taking it to a local shop for R&R. Wasn't running hot but never sat in traffic with the AC on either.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Il Tifoso likes this.
  11. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This should be entertaining! Good luck!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

12. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
  13. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
  14. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    Did you have to heat that up to get the bushings in?

15. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    #140 scowman, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Getting them in is easy. Grease both surfaces and squeeze in vice. Getting the inner bushing out is the PITA because the outer rubber muffin tops and won't push through the wishbone sleeve. This is what I do. I use a small 3/8 socket extension as my ram set through the center of the bushing just like a bolt would go through. Squeeze in vice until the flare pops on the inner sleeve (you can hear it pop). That will release the outer washer. Once the outer washer is gone it won't muffin top as bad. Remove that and use a socket to push the bushing through.

Couple of other things. I bought a 1 1/2" galvanized pipe coupling for my receiver socket on the inner bushings. I use the 34mm crank bolt socket for the receiver on the outer bushings. I also use a 2ft steel pipe on the vice handle and full face protection when am trying to bust the washers.

Just did another this morning. Both rear lowers are now done.

Attached Files:

16. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Of course I guessed wrong on the crank bolt socket... 36mm:cool:.

17. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Did the front upper wishbones. Went pretty easy until I bent a new one pressing it in. The receiver was misaligned and I did not catch it. Oh well, I can just go pick one up from my local dealer for $330. WTF?!?!?!:confused: God I hate factory dealers:mad:. They rip you off every chance they get. #18 from SPUK plus shipping. I will have to order some more things to make it worthwhile. Think I need a shift knob...

18. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Like JayEff, Wow x2!! Beautiful scowman!! A beautiful car. A beautiful buy. And a beautiful buyer. Great thread!! Great pictures!! If/when I get a 3-pedal 456, pre-M or M, can you be my car’s mechanic. Wish you were closer to me though!!

19. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Thanks, man. Not sure you want me. I can't even press in a lousy bushing:confused:. Happy to let you know everywhere I've screwed up. Three pedals are great. Keep looking to you get one.

20. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    How did you know those bushings were bad, and what's the scoop on the window lifts?

21. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Window lifts were replaced by one of the PO's. They seem to work ok. Bushing rubber was split, plus they were original and going on 25 years old. Time to replace. I could have maybe just replaced the really bad ones but the kit is relatively cheap, and I don't want to get back in there twice after the shocks.

22. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Completely relate to the "once you're in there" philosophy on suspension work. Not just the pain of having to take down springs and stuff multiple times, but if you replace some stuff, then the older stuff seems to take more of the load of wear and tear and fails all that sooner. Best to go wholesale and swap it all at once. Cheers, man. Looks great.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

23. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    But now that you’ve already done the work on your car once (practice), it going to be that much easier the 2nd time. I believe in truisms Stu, perhaps you heard this one: “practice makes perfect.”

Now you know WHAT to do, WHY and WHEN it needs to be done, HOW to do it, and WHERE to buy it!! F’ing awesome, don’t you think?

Remember you keeping my(!!) car warmed up for me!! (-; lol

24. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Cheers mate

25. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Joking aside it’s really great you got that car!! It sat, and sat, and SAT!! I’m telling you you should go through the 456 for sale thread where a couple of us discuss this car. I think someone in our group here might have even gone to see her(?), or was it he didn’t find the owner very “responsive”- can’t remember (Aaron/Serpent?). And because it sat for so long it would reappear on the 456 for sale thread again over time.

It had some obvious cosmetic issues (various pretty heavy chips/scratches in paint), and mechanical issues (no service history either so needed a complete mechanical “re-fresh”). Probably only someone like you could have afforded it to save her. But with your skills/experience, AND because you are sharing these with us so beautifully here on f-chat (with pictures!!)...... we ALL learn from YOUR experience(s). Kudo’s to you man!!

Anyways I always LOVED the Blue Chiaro/Crema combo. And it’s a gated Ferrari V-12!! I think we can safely say you and I won’t see that again in our lifetime.

T

p.s. I won’t take her back from you until I get your seal of approval that ALL the work on her complete!!