I'm now a 348 Owner | FerrariChat

I'm now a 348 Owner

Discussion in '348/355' started by User-C3, Sep 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Hey everyone my name is Trevor and I just picked up a 348 last weekend. Or should I say I took delivery of my 348 last weekend. I had a 911SC project for about 6 years and was collecting parts for it. Worked on it one time and decided there was other avenues I could take. Sold off the car, the engine, a couple transmissions I had and was able to turn it into a running driving 1990 348 TS. Its a bit of a project, more so than was lead to believe but I am still very excited and pleased with my transition non the less. Looking forward to cleaning it, greasing it, lubing it, loving it, and getting it back up to the state it deserves to be at. Will hopefully be leaning on the community here to find a few parts and gain knowledge and advice.
    Cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Congrats and welcome.

Huge amount of knowledge on this forum so you should’ve ok!!

Look forward to seeing your progress. What’s first?

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, congratulations. Great times ahead.

Maybe consider a user name change? ;)

4. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
    Love it! Those wheels!!!

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Congrats on the car!

6. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    Well done, looks good. Mine is also a running project after being laid up. badly, for 11 years. Look forward to hear how you get on, enjoy it :)

7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Congratulations and welcome.

What does your 348 need?

8. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Thanks everyone. First thing I will be tackling is the brakes. They are currently not being assisted by power. Plan is to check all the fuses and relays, make sure the pump is working, replace all the fluid and hopefully not have to change out a pump. Next up will be removing the shifter cables and giving them a good cleaning/lubing. In the next few weeks I'll order some new belts, plugs, filters etc and over the winter drop the motor and give it a good once over. I'm in Michigan so we have lots of time without driving fun cars to do work. Everything in the interior will slowly be removed, cleaned and freshened up.

9. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Beauty!

I'll beat Ernie to saying "Welcome to the brotherhood"

sjd

ernie likes this.
  10. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Check the booster itself- could be a bad seal in there. Are the 348 brake boosters assisted by engine vacuum?

11. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Unfortunately no, its powered by the ABS pump. Teves mark II unit. Engine vacuum would be much more simple.

12. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Ahh. Gotcha.

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Fortunately not rocket science. ;)

14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    But a lot of money if one goes about replacing a bunch of stuff. My Milano is in the same boat.

15. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Yes exactly, not difficult but can get very expensive. Almost identical units can be found in the jag xj6 and xj12 and can buy them for $200 used. Used Ferrari about $1,200

16. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Welcome to the 348 Brotherhood.

17. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hi Trevor

I will add my welcome also. These are truly great cars to own. They are not only beautiful but a lot of fun to drive. Mine just turned 50,000 miles and it runs great. I hope you have the same luck with yours that I have had with mine.

Mel

18. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Thanks guys, I am very happy to have acquired this car and be its caretaker. It will be enjoyed.

19. Jamie traina

Jamie traina Rookie

Jul 6, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jamie Traina
    Congratulations my man. You will fall in love.

20. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Congratulations! :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

21. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I was going the Porsche 964 route again and at the last minute thought “it’s time for a Ferrari”. So glad I did it. Congrats!

User-C3 and ernie like this.
  22. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Exactly how I am feeling. Saw a 911sc sunday, the same car I just sold and very happy with going this route. I cant imagine spending the time and extra money to build that car how I wanted to now knowing I have this car for the money I made in just the roller and parts.

23. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    I have finally gotten to start working on the 348. I have another car that I wanted to get a fab project wrapped up on and driveable before I started working on this. First thing I did was start to look into the brake issue and lack of a brake pump operation. This car had a stereo install from who knows how long ago. I'm guessing the 90's based on the tape deck head unit. Removed the amp, CD changer, and all wiring out of the trunk area.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    While checking the fuses and relays (that were not attached to their pegs) I noticed this plug that seemed to have no home. Does anyone know what this plug goes to?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

While checking all the wiring for the brake system, I have found there is power going to the pump, but the pump is not turning on. I've done a bunch of research on these pumps but cant figure out how to test the pressure switch and the pump individually, but certain its one of the 2 that is the issue.

25. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    This guy just did not take car of this car, It's dirty, everywhere, and needs some serious paint TLC. Along with that, the previous owner must have hit his driveway approach too fast or a big pot hole while turning and caught the lip of the front fender pulling it out. With a fender roller and some specialty hammers for what it was I got that thing back in shape and looking real good. Minor face deflection left but only a really trained eye would notice and I will work it a bit more when I go to paint it. I was trying to save as much paint as possible.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

phrogs and steved033 like this.