I'm sure it's been beaten to death---lift or no lift? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

I'm sure it's been beaten to death---lift or no lift?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RWC58, Feb 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ZaifaDDS

ZaifaDDS Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    Bloomfield, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Huzefa
    I live in Michigan, and the roads are absolute garbage. However, on a Ferrari I don't think you need a lift, especially the 458/488. You have a lot of clearance. Now if it's a Huracan or Aventador, then a lift is a must.

2. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    The thing that scares me/reason why I opted for the lifter is those moments you need it outside of your normal commute for unexpected stuff

I've had to drive to meetings or go to some restaurant where the ramp into the building parking is at a steep incline, lift can be handy there coming from experience on a much lower GT car. Guess it depends on your tolerance for risk to chance it

r6elmo, Need4Spd and Clay512TR like this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    You still won’t need the lift.

ZaifaDDS likes this.
  4. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    you have bigger cojones than me, sometimes it happens

Clay512TR and SoCal to az like this.
  5. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    If its lowered with Novitec springs,you need it.for all Other suvˋS not

Austex458 likes this.
  6. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    I own a Speciale, bought it low mileage without a lift. For me it was a matter of the purest approach to the creation of that particular car. Track focus purpose was so prevalent in the minds of the design team, that they opted not even to include a glove compartment. How tragic to negate such meticulous design cues by adding such an exorbitant amount of weight on the front end, as a lift system would result. Also, with so much focus on the front end, care should be taken to take in account the lack of clearance on the back end. My build has a very nice carbon fiber diffuser at rear. When you life the front, you simultaneously lower the rear. I'd rather have a warning for the less expensive underside of the front bumper, than I would to raise the front only to destroy the diffuser.

Like all things exotic car... it all comes down to personal preference... and like a-holes... we all have those... dont we.

7. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
  8. thx enzo

thx enzo Karting

Aug 11, 2021
    Hartland, WI
    Full Name:
    Stevenp
    I had read that Ferrari does not put lift on any press car as they don’t feel it is necessary. However, those cars are mainly driven on open roads and not over speed bumps and into parking garages.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    my car is lowered on the novitec springs, probably 2" lower from OEM USA height and I don't have a lift system. If I were to shop and do it all over again I still wouldn't want the lift system. The rear diffuser is still the main concern for me.

If you're experienced with lowered cars, the lift system is a nice to have or completely optional
    If you're in-experienced with lowered cars, then by all means get the lift system so you're not learning on your 200K+ car.

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  10. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have a lifter in my ‘15 458 Italia and I use it all of the time… Whilst you might be able to get away without using it, it’s nice to have if you get into a sketchy road approach/height situation.

If I did not use it (in combination with a severe angle of approach and a Mt. Everest Sherpa guide) whilst entering and exiting my driveway, I would scrape every time I drive the car.

Opinions vary, but this cheeky geezer is glad I have it at the ready!

Cheers!

430jm likes this.
  11. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I never use it. I can get over most things going at a 45. I could have use it in the F430 though as that seemed lower. I have a lift on my EVO and I don't really need it but use it all the time just in case.

12. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have the lift on my 458 Spider and use it pretty frequently - that said, I use it proactively and perhaps don't need to. Roads get beat up pretty bad in CO over the winter and parking lots/driveways take an even worse hit and are low on the priority list to fix - so here I think it is nice to have. I have lift on my GT3 Touring as well and definitely need to use it pretty frequently - but obviously the front end/splitter on the GT3 T is much lower than the front end of the 458 (factory ride height BTW).

Basically the way I see it is this:
    • I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it
    • It might help with resale/trade down the road
    • If I was shopping and found a car that checked every other box except the lift it would not be a deal-breaker.
    Cheers :)

Viperjoe, 430jm and Rexcat458 like this.
  13. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Got the lift on my 488 and F8 and so glad I did. Peace of mind as I avoided scraping on numerous occasions (lowered on Novitech’s, terrible mid-Atlantic roads). As a side note, if you lowered your car using Novitech Sport Springs, forget about using the bumpy road setting. You won’t need it because a) the ride is so much better on the Novitech’s, and b) the bumpy road settings puts entirely too much flex in the suspension rendering scrapes unavoidable.

Rexcat458, AD211 and RoadRonin like this.
  14. emmholla

emmholla Karting

Dec 15, 2018
    Lowered on novitec. No lift. If I had the lift I'd for sure use it. But so far it hasn't been too bad without the lift.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Tarek307 likes this.
  15. mbovaird

mbovaird Rookie

Jul 6, 2015
    Lift is a must IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Viperjoe and Rexcat458 like this.
  16. subalou1

subalou1 Karting

Nov 12, 2009
    NY
    #66 subalou1, Jan 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    My 488 did not have the lifter and I never scraped with it (was factory ride height). With that said, my F8 has a lifter and I use it at every opportunity for the extra peace of mind. I vote lifter and would get one again. I also have skid plates for extra extra peace of mind.

430jm, AD211, Viperjoe and 2 others like this.
  17. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    2 words: "always lift"

Viperjoe and Rexcat458 like this.
  18. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    I have repeatedly been told that and the carbon steering wheel are the top 2 resale options.

19. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What aftermarket lifts are available?

20. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think the main reason the carbon steering wheel is desirable is less about the actual carbon wheel but more about this being part of the package that gets you the LED shift lights which many (including me) deem to be a must-have.

FWIW I find the combination of having the lift if/when I need it coupled with the bumpy ride setting allows me to enjoy my 458 Spider in pretty much any driving condition regardless of crappy roads - crappy driveways and parking lots and other "nuances" of normal use. Would I have still bought this particular 458 Spider if it had NOT had the lift? Definitely because to me it was EXACTLY how I would have spec'd a 458 Spider had I been able to order one new with regard to options I liked versus silly, useless options I did not need or want (such as HELE) but if it had not had the front lifter I still would have bought it.

Good luck - Cheers :)

21. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Novitech.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    I had a lift on my first 458 and thought it was a must have option, i'm in Los Angeles, barley ever used it..now i recently bought another 458 thats also slightly lowered with no lift, and life is just as rosy lol, no issues..just have to be careful as with any low car

23. FE458IT

FE458IT Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto
    No lift, no problems so far. I go at an angle where it seems I may scrape.

Wanted to lower my car but will stick with factory.

Roads are decent in my part of Miami and most of my driving is highway.

24. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    i had 2 458 in my life. first without lift, 2nd with lift.

the lift is needed in many situations. headache less

430jm and Rexcat458 like this.
  25. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    Lift is a must, especially if lowered.

Love the hydraulic lift on the 458, it deploys very fast, I'm quite impressed with it.

430jm and Rexcat458 like this.