I'm upgrading my 308gt4 brakes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I'm upgrading my 308gt4 brakes

Discussion in '308/328' started by Grahame, Jun 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Grahame

Grahame Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Grahame
    Thanks for posting those pictures, Chris. The brakes look terrific behind those wheels! I am taking on board all this advice and really feel that I am nearly there with a decision to go with Martin and Eric's product - it just seems so well thought out and ticks all the boxes, especially weight and f/r balance.

2. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    One very helpful component for these types of upgrades is a proportioning valve. If the front/rear balance isn't quite right you can (for the most part) balance is out reasonably well using an in-cockpit valve. And, frankly, for anyone serious about doing some track days, a proportioning valve in the cockpit is essential - as any serious racer knows, the front/rear bias needs to change dramatically depending on several factors including such things as moisture on the track surface (less front bias b/c less weight shift to the front wheels) or just the particular layout of the track. If you're not using a proportioning valve and your doing some amount of track days, give it a try and you'll often be able to pick up a second a lap with some fine tuning.

3. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    Interesting thread. Is there a recommended brake kit out there for those of us who don't track their cars?

4. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Hi Esteban,

If you are not tracking the car or rat racing through the mountains, you will probably never experience brake fade, (unless you skip the annual brake bleeding, then you may get fluid fade from the boiling moisture).

Stock is fine for ordinary driving, particularly if you keep the fluid refreshed and use good high performance pads. Stainless brake lines wouldn't hurt and are probaly less expensive than Ferrari replacements.

The girodisc set up certainly looks better than stock and you might perceive a slight benefit in handling over rough roads from the significantly lighter brake compnents.

There are several firms that offer big brake upgrades for the Front, some with a bit of an imbalance, but as far as i know, Girodisc is the only company that offers a front and rear improved set up.

hth,
    chris

5. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    Super. Thanks, Chris. I'm looking to put some serious miles on my car this summer and my car is due for lots of service (major, brakes, etc.). I need to budget accordingly! Your big brakes sure look good behind those wheels, though.

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Chris,

Seriously, you deserve an award and while i can only imagine the effort you put forth to complete your setup, am sure it was a long and tedious journey. While i took a sorta shortcut per se really, you went all out. In the end am sure your/Gyrodisc setup is probably the very best 308 system to day i have ever seen. Bravo to you sir!

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Agreed as i just used the Brembo upgrade fronts. The diff is not TOO bad though. Of course for a mere couple a hundred bucks a large MC is really an easy job should one go that route.

10000000% agree! Went through a few pads and found the Ferodo DS3000 in the rear to help overall balance to an acceptable way. Ok, not as perfect as having a dual MC brake bias setup like in the Formula 2000, yet still ok all in all dry or wet track.

Actually the compnents are lighter than stock. Especially the Gyrodisc alu hat floating rears rotors. So actually less rotating mass and lower unsprung weight though i DO AGREE if one ADDS weight it will mean less performance. In fact the more weight one can remove from the entire rear driveline the better. It is sad to see many guys getting aftermarket rims that weight MUCH more than stock. If they only knew how performance-killing that is...

8. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Grahame,

I installed the Girodisk kit on a 1981 308GTS for a guy who just drives it on the street. It's a nice kit and all the components are well made and work well. I have no idea what the Girodisk brakes will do on the track although I would think there would be an improvement.

Below are links to two threads about the Porshe 996 (Brembo) brake calipers and rotors I installed on my 1977 308GTB and also the billet parking brake calipers I made for it. I track the car and it works great.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103952
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202588

9. Grahame

Grahame Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Grahame
    Hi Wil,
    Good to hear of the success you've had installing GiroDisc gear on your customer's car - it's very reassuruing and confirms my thoughts. Also, looking at those threads you flagged, I am just gob-smacked by the the wonderful work you do! Wow! And your car looks mean as hell! I imagine it goes as well as it looks. What have you done to the other mechanicals?
    Cheers,
    Grahame

10. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Grahame,

Thank you for the compliments. I hate to hijack this thread but it IS your thread and you asked. The first two links below go to threads about some of the other things I did on my 308 and as long as I'm tooting my horn, the third link is for another car I've been working on.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125146
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101045
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228469

11. Grahame

Grahame Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Grahame

12. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot

13. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Do any of these brake upgrades do anything to improve the function of the hand brake?

14. Grahame

Grahame Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Grahame
    What handbrake? Or, to put it another way - no!

15. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    #40 chrismorse, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
    I had some really nice aluminum adaptors cnc'd to mount used Brembo ferrari 360 parking brake calipers and i'm here to tel you that after all of that expense, they work about the same - pitifull.

So, it is not the funky ATE stock combination caliper or the expensive brembo parking brake caliper, i think it is not enough leverage. If you look under the back of the car, where the cable pulls on an arm, which rotates a plate with two pulleys, that pulls equally on the cable that goes to both rear calipers, NOW, if we just lengthen that arm from about 2 1/2 inches to about 5 inches, we would double the tension on the cable, hopefully doubling the clamping force.

This should work, unfortunately, it is not real high on my to do list at the moment.

hth,
    chris

16. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Since I re-used the internals and brake pads from the original ATE calipers in my separate aluminum parking brake calipers, they work pretty much the same - good on fairly level ground. I wouldn't trust them on a San Francisco hill. There is always the line-lock method and you can park in gear.