Immobilizer/Fuel Inertia Cut-Off Switch? | FerrariChat

Immobilizer/Fuel Inertia Cut-Off Switch?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by lyons, Jun 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lyons

lyons Rookie

Jan 26, 2012
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    W.L.
    Hi everyone, do our cars have these? My 1983 400i auto is not starting at the moment but ran beautifully before parked for 2 weeks. Battery good and charged, fuel pumps on, MSD light on, starter engages fine but no start. I was watching the Harry's Garage video on YouTube where he had similar problems with his Testarossa on the drive to the Sahara (great video of you want to kill 20 min) and it turned out to be the immobilizer micro switch un-soldered itself. Any ideas?

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I wasn't aware of them in a car that old. I would suspect a sticking relay, or bad fuse contact in the fuel pump circuit.

3. lyons

lyons Rookie

Jan 26, 2012
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    W.L.
    Thanks! My next job is to inspect the fuse box and go through it. I can hear the fuel pumps whizzing on when the ignition is in the 2 setting

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    The pumps shouldn't be on unless the engine is on or cranking.

5. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Yes, fule is delivered to engine on start up via the accumulators and the pumps start by relay when the throttle plate in the Bosch system lifts. This interlock is easily bypassed by pulling the blue plug out of the left hand fuel injector module.
    Ken

6. lyons

lyons Rookie

Jan 26, 2012
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    W.L.
    Thank you all, blue plug has long been disconnected! Still can't seem to figure this one out, will post updates as they come.

7. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    #7 Jasonberkeley, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Is that the plug in the bottom left of the picture attached with nothing connected? I've always wondered why there is nothing going to this. What exactly does this do and why would it be disconnected?

Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Only one switch is required to energize the pumps. Boxers are the same, only one sensor plate has a plug attached and its always the left one thats plugged in.

9. lyons

lyons Rookie

Jan 26, 2012
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    W.L.
    Hi everyone, just a bit of an update. It turns out that the coil and MSD are bad, which is weird because the MSD is only a couple of years old. I wonder how good MSD warranties are? Thanks for all the help!