Imported Cars and Asbestos | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Imported Cars and Asbestos

Discussion in 'Australia' started by au-yt, Apr 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow that's just plain crazy.

2. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Terry, thanks for the excellent report and sorry for your troubles.

3. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    We shouldn't allow asbestos into the environment but this seems over the top and that the customs people haven't fully worked out the procedures for handling this issue.

What did the "asbestos expert" pull apart and what 18 samples did he extract ?

Brake linings, exhaust flanges, clutch lining and gaskets are obvious ones but what entitled the examiner to damage your cars to gain the rest ?

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Just happened to stumble across this thread displayed on the main page. This is outrageous regarding old cars.

This made me think of another asbestos related thread in the Technical Q&A section with some additional comments and links on this subject for your information. Hope you guys are successful in pushing back against this issue.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q/542988-asbestos-old-cars.html

5. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    The legislation is open ended so there is no restriction, its up the inspector imagination...

6. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Hence why I said they haven't worked out the procedures

It'll take a few more cases like Terry's before they understand the ramifications and hopefully a few successful lawsuits for damages to hasten the process.

7. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    meanwhile, there are thousands of houses and sheds around Sydney with asbestos in the cladding and roof sheets.

An old fibro house a few doors up from me was demolished last week - everything went into the trucks and taken to normal landfill.

Human health is more at risk from the particulates resulting from burning wood in household open fires.

8. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Agree with you except the unnecessary sledge of SA.

Remember Oakeshott and Windsor? If it wasn't for those clowns we never would have had an elected Gillard government.

9. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Also the small fact that the original legislation was passed in 2003 (guess who was in power) and Xenophon didn't enter parliament until 2007... I suspect the sudden enforcement of this law is due to the recent drama with contaminated building panels, and car imports are just getting caught up in it.

10. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    You should have reported them - Worksafe legislation covers this in NSW and it definitely should NOT be included in normal dump loads. I haven't bothered to check the NSW requirements within the National Construction Code, but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't covered there. Absolutely unacceptable since it is when sheets are broken that the fibers get freed and cause problems; even worse are friable items like old lino, the dust is eminently breathable and the deadliest kind. Outrageous that anyone would do this.

11. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    The enactment of this is done by Boarder Force not Customs.

12. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I have demolished quite a few houses and a few factories over the years and my experience is one of total inconsistency on the part of councils and their inspectors - sometimes I've had to pay for the whole hazard suit + building tent shebang and other times nothing at all.

In this case, approval had clearly been given without anyone looking closely at the house and it was gone in half a day.

As for reporting them - I don't do that. I have a pathological dislike for the whole building regulation system and the apparatchiks who work in it, the last thing I would do is help them.

13. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    It's not a council issue - the demolition approval is separate from the Worksafe requirements of dealing with asbestos. I get that you don't want to be part of the system, but YOUR family has been put at risk by these cowboys. I don't know why, but Qlders are pretty vigilant about asbestos, neighbors will be standing by watching if there's renovations going on at old fibro places. (Mind you some are also hysterical about it, particularly in regard to schools where it's no problem as long as it's left in place and no somewhere it can be accidentally broken.)

14. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
  15. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    This country is so F####ed up with inconsistent rules and regulations the tail has started to wag the dog.............

16. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    the real problem is that the liberal party allowed the media to coerce them into making Turnbull PM, who (like Gillard) has a talent for poor judgement. It was his senate voting "reforms" followed by a pointless DD election that increased the power of leftist/populist senators from the mendicant states (SA & Tas).

17. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Back to the story, I had a look at Miura today that is the process of being stripped for repaint and the entire boot floor is covered in asbestos.

18. Nintendo64

Nintendo64 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2016
    Earlier this year i went to Mr.Lamborghini's factory [the genuine one, not the german vw one] the only car with rope around it was the Miura :)

VERY highly recommended visit, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MYP95Nh8c8

One day i will post the photos of this and Ferrari.....

19. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Yup totally agree Ian. It's really worrying , the path this country is heading down. What they don't get is the end user pays for all the B.S.

20. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme