Importing 15+ Year Old 355 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Importing 15+ Year Old 355

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ferrari355Spider, Nov 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. canadiantifosi

canadiantifosi Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2008
    uh...guess...
    Full Name:
    Canadian Tifosi Sr.
    I picked up my 308 in St. Louis. Hauled down an empty trailer and brought it back full coming across at the Sault Ste. Marie border. If possible, try to come across at one of the less busy border points.

The good folks at Canada Customs and Revenue were pretty decent to deal with although there was confusion on having to pay the 6.1% on a car over 25 years old. A letter from an import broker customer of mine verified the tax was not applicable. The age of the car is calculated from month of manufacture which is stamped on the I.D. tag on the inside of the door jam.

You will have to fax the bill-of-sale paperwork in advance to the border along with the title. Try to get the badge number of the border guard you speak to on the phone. They won't give you their name so you have to settle for the badge number and don't be afraid to use this info if you run into any problems. The border guards like it when you have taken the time to learn the rules.

Let them know when you are planning on coming across and ask the person you have spoked with if they will be on duty when you come through. This worked for me and the guy was expecting me.

You will need to prove how you paid for the car. Copy of bank draft or some other proof of payment. They also told me that I needed to be able to prove ownership of the trailer hauling the car.

In Ontario we do not pay the 8% pst at the border, only the federal GST. The provincial tax is collected when you go to the licensing office to register the vehicle.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

2. gixer69

gixer69 Rookie

Sep 5, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Whats FoO?

3. canadiantifosi

canadiantifosi Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2008
    uh...guess...
    Full Name:
    Canadian Tifosi Sr.
    FoO = Ferrari of Ontario

CF

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If newer than 15 years, then you have to register with the RIV or whatever it is called, I think that is $1000-$2000 (I am not exactly sure so pls don't quote me on that), and then it has to be inspected and then brought up to Canadian specs so whatever fees are associated with that

5. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    $206 for RIV form 1, once the form 1 is submitted and PAID FOR you'll get a form 2 which is a checklist for cdn tire to go over to make sure the 'mods' are complete, they stamp and sign and you bring that to the ministry and you're good to go.

6. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks James...I had the decimal in the wrong spot :)

7. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    So what taxes apply if I am bringing in a 30 year old car which I have owned (overseas) for a number of years?

How do you calculate the taxes if the bill of sale is years old? The amount I paid then may no longer be relevant, or?

8. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    what province will you be registering the car in?
    What kind of car is it? are you POSITIVE it's admissable into Canada?

ALWAY'S have to pay duty(6.1%) unless of course it's a north american made car.

The ministry has a black-book they judge vehicles value's by in your case.

PM me if you want someone to do it for you.

Cheers!

9. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

John........

Your legal tax status with the CRA while out of the country is also a factor here.......better check that as well.

10. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks for the info. I have a 1980 Countach and a 91 Euro Testarossa I want to put into storage and am running out of space here (and I have graciously been offered some in the Toronto area).

The residency issue is a problem, but I may be able to work around that. I wonder, if the cars are not licensed or insured for road use and are not driven, would that help?

I am curious, what is the ministry black book value on a 1980 LP400S?

11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff

Good day John,

What KDS said about your legal tax status has to be really considered.

As a secondary thought, if you know of a high-end car retailer (museum), etc perhaps you can bring the cars in as "display use" / "exhibition use" only and just have this dealer have the cars on display? The issue here is that the cars would need to be on display from time to time. Just thinking outside the box...

Cheers,

Sam

12. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    +1

This has worked in the past...or try and declare it as a racing vehicle; NOT for street use.

James ---I still don't understand why would anyone have to pay 6.1% Canadian duty on a car if the car is 25 yrs old? Also, if it is Made in Canada/USA the duties aren't necessary? Please explain.

13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #38 Nuvolari, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
    Black book values only go back so far and I'm pretty sure a Countach is not on it. Years back they would take your word on it for value but now they require an appraisal from a registered appraiser and it is that value you pay the tax on. You do not need a full aprraisal, there is a tax form the appraiser fills out and you take this form to the ministry to pay your taxes on. I know this because I went through it with the recent purchase of a 1964 Fiat.

With regards to the importation of a 355 a lot of the answers here are not taking into account the 15 year rule. For the record:

Less than 15 years old
    - Car must be on the riv.ca list and must be imported using riv.ca rules and procedures
    - Car will require 'fedarilization'
    - 6.1% duty is charged

Older than 15 years
    - Straight importation with no federalization
    - Car needs to pass a regular safety inspection
    - 6.1% duty is charged
    - No need to go to FoO for anything

Years back I went through this hassle when I brought my 308 in. More than 15years old is a totally different world than less than 15 years old. It seemed as though everyone I asked only knew the leass than 15 year rules and no one knew anything about the older than 15 year rule. Also I believe that if the car is more than 25 years old (don't quote me on this one) it is exempt from the 6.1% duty.

14. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    He didn't say what years his car's were when he first posted.

And you don't have to pay duty on North American made product's including Mexico(I think) as it's part of N.A.F.T.A(north american free trade agreement).

You'd(everyone) would actually be quite suprised by whats actually made in N.A! Some Subaru's for example are!
    So if you can prove whatever you are importing was manufactured in a N.A country then you do NOT pay duty on it!
    Cool huh? too bad none of the REALLY good stuff is made here;)

15. johnnyhotrocks

Aug 26, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    John U.
    Just imported my DeLorean last May from Michigan, and was exempt the duty because the car was over 25 years old...had to remind the customs agents of this of course, and I had a copy of their own rules in order to prove it to them.
    http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d10/d10-15-20-doc-eng.html

In regards to calling the US Customs office in order to confirm a fax of the title..don't bother...you must ensure that you have a copy of your Fax confirmation though....I called the office in Port Huron MI and the officer said "you don't expect me to look through the hundreds of faxes we get everyday to confirm we have yours do you?"

One last point for vehicles coming to Ontario...if the vehicle has never been registered in Ontario before, you DO NOT NEED AN APPRAISAL FOR DETERMINING THE PST. You only pay PST on the actual sale price of your car...I wish I had a link to this one, but I don't...sorry.

John

16. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You are spot on...simply fax it and then bring the fax confirmation with you.