Importing a car from Canada | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Importing a car from Canada

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Jonny Law, Feb 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    Is the paper specially made by gnomes? Really, the plate on the door already states that the vehicle complies, why do they need a letter?

2. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The letter just rubber stamps DOT and EPA compliance. Saves you paperwork and maybe getting into legal problems. Letter so you don't end up on this list:

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/epa-fugitives

3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    It's required by the Department of Redundancy Department. :)

Il Steeg likes this.
  4. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    lolol..ol.. :)

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    On my Canadian market BMW, the "door plate" (actually a sticker) states it complies with CANADIAN regulations...not USA. Thus the requirement for the letter from the manufacturer that is also meets USA regulations. Back in 2003, BMW provided the letter for free....now they charge a few hundred.

6. Kris76

Kris76 Rookie

Feb 12, 2022
    Vancouver canada
    Full Name:
    Kris Blea
    Going through this process now , 1999 550 . FNA is asking for $7200 usd for a compliance letter . Not sure why others have stated it’s cheap , possibly for some but at the moment this is my pain lol

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    No reason for it, other than FNA is trying to restrict the flow of Ferraris moving back and forth across the border.

I imported another BMW from Canada in late 2019, and BMWNA is back to producing the letter at no charge. Flew up to Kelowna, BC and drove it back home to WA State. Speedometer change was easier than last time, where I had to have the gauge cluster swapped with a USA one (BMW didn't have MPH in lower case on the gauge or it would have been fine). Now, you just go in I-Drive and swap to English units...good to go. :)

Kris76 likes this.
  8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Two more years you won't need it.

Ak Jim likes this.
  9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    As Brian pointed out the car is too new. I believe there is a program where you can bring a car in that is less than 25 years old but it is only for display purposes. When the car reaches the 25 year old criteria you can then change the status to drivable. People have taken advantage of the display rules to get a car they really want or is extremely rare into their possession even though it isn’t 25 years old.
    Also not sure what year it happened but at some point Canadian and US cars meet the same standard and don’t have to be 25 years old.

10. Kris76

Kris76 Rookie

Feb 12, 2022
    Vancouver canada
    Full Name:
    Kris Blea
    Well bring a rare bmw or merc with a compliance letter for peanuts ( as stated above ) FNA is only screwing its clients . We understand the rules only gripe is about being robbed with no gun .

Ak Jim likes this.
  11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Most of those guys are VW/Audi engineers!