Importing a F-Car from the U.S" ???

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 512tr, Mar 31, 2004.

  1. 512tr

    512tr Formula Junior

    Feb 6, 2004
    Full Name:
    Has anyone ever imported a f-car from the states? How difficult is it? and what are the procedures and extra costs? U.S. cars are much more attractive cost wise given the exchange rate.

    Any info would be appreciated.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

  3. gerritv

    gerritv Formula 3

    Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    No personal experience but I was at one time looking in doing this. The place to go for information is there they tell you what you can bring in and the changes required. Cars > 15 years old is wide open.

  4. audionut

    audionut Formula Junior

    Apr 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adrian Low
    Hi Tony, I just brought in an 86 TR. If the car is less than 15 years old, you must make sure the car is on the approved list. For example, the Testarossa and all variants are not on the list, so theoretically the car cannot be imported. When I called Canada Customs, the lady basically said that it was not a mistake or oversight! If the car is on the list, then you need to find out from FOQ what is required to pass Canadian certification, eg front bumpers, daytime lights etc. Someone I know imported a 95 355 Spyder and paid $15,000 CDN for just the bumper. And this work can only be certified by the authorised dealer. After all the work is done, you must bring the car to Canadian Tire to be inspected!

    If driving the car across the border, you need to send the title (ownership) to the American Customs office at the border crossing you will be using 72 hours before you show up. Only the original will suffice. You also need a bill of sale. When you reach the border, American customs officers will check the car. Then you go to the Canadian customs office, pay 6.1% duty, 7% GST, both compounded on the purchase price. I understand that they may reassess your bill of sale if the book value they have substantially disagrees. Then the taxes will be based on the higher value. You are then given a temporary licence plate, and the car must then be converted and certified within a given period of time. When you get plates, you are assessed PST.

    You should check to make sure I am right about the above. Good luck.


    ps. How much are you looking for re your 512?
  5. Vlad328

    Vlad328 Formula Junior

    Mar 16, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Vladimir Zuzukin
    What about doing it the other way? Buying a Ferrari in Canada and driving vs. shipping it across the border to the US? Thinking about a 328 model.
  6. gerritv

    gerritv Formula 3

    Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
  7. To remove this ad click here.

  8. f355spider

    f355spider F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

    May 29, 2001
    I brought in a much newer car (2001 BMW) but it shouldn't be all that hard, in spite of the hurdles. Contact a "registered importer" on the list, they can give you the "straight skinny" on how difficult it would be to import a 328 in to the States.

    Some of that stuff (like the pressure washing of the car and such) is strictly for cars coming from outside N. America.
  9. jpl

    jpl Formula Junior

    Dec 4, 2003
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    I purchased my car in the US and drove it across the border (this was about 8 years ago). It was however more than 15 years old and on the approved list. A stop at customs and a cheque for the duty and GST and I was out of there. I did however pre-arrange all this so they were expecting me. It took about 15 minutes.

  10. evansp60

    evansp60 Formula Junior

    Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    Here's the site you want:

    Check your car on this site. It will give you the info you need regarding modification. There is also an 800 number listed. Contacts for CCR, etc.

    Best part can get your car cleared at Canadian Tire...LOL!!

    I wonder what parts they stock for a Ferrari?
  11. gerritv

    gerritv Formula 3

    Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    CTC for my car has the master cylinder. Someone swapped out half the brake booster and master cylinder for a Crhysler product.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

  13. audionut

    audionut Formula Junior

    Apr 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adrian Low
    Anyone notice that the entire TR family is NOT "importable" if less than 15 years? I was looking to do so last year when Martin had a great deal on a TR, but the fact that TRs are not on the list deterred me. I wonder if it is just an oversight.
  14. Glen_Lloyd

    Glen_Lloyd Formula Junior

    Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    I just brought my 1987 328 across the border yesterday... here's the deal for a car 15 years or more old.......

    Make sure your car is on the approved to import list, search internet at Canadian Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) or phone them for more info

    Pay for it with a wire transfer.. easier to deal with than bringing money across border

    Figure out which U.S. border crossing you will cross at.. search internet for their phone number and then fax them your clear "certificate of title" at least 72 hours in advance of crossing

    Show up at the border with the original "title" and your bill of sale

    Stop at U.S. Customs and they will stamp and emboss your "title", then they will confirm your serial number and send you to Canada (about 20 mins)

    Declare at Canada, Report with Bill of sale, "title" and month and year of manufacture. Fill in a form that you are not a dealer, the car is 15 years or more old so is exempt from RIV regulations.

    They will convert the U.S. dollar figure you paid for car at that days rate, they will add 6.1% duty to that, if it has a/c they will add $100.00 excise tax on and then they will figure the 7% GST. Pay the man the duty, excise tax and GST, I used visa and away you go. (about 20 mins AND they didn't even look at the car)

    In Alberta I went to our license agency, got a request for out of province vehicle inspection, then I took it to my mechanic (non F-car) and he did the lights brakes suspension steering windshield exhaust stuff (About 3/4 hour and $40)

    Off to the Licence Agency with Bill of Sale, inspection and Transport Canada form and got plates (about 20 minutes)

    On the road.........

  15. ClassicFerrari

    ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

    Jan 7, 2004
    Full Name:
    WOW, Impressive. Hey Adrian, there is the answer I coulndt give man.


  16. Kds

    Kds F1 World Champ

    The funniest part of the importation story is that it's a "Canadian Tire" store that does the final government safety check on all cars.

    Gawd.....might as well take it to a WalMart garage for all it's worth.
  17. ToddB

    ToddB Formula 3

    Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    couple questions

    If its a 15yr car you don't have to worry about the bumpers right?(just daytime running lights and guages)

    also what about the newer f cars do they need the bumpers to be replaced?
  18. evansp60

    evansp60 Formula Junior

    Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    If it's 15 yrs or older - you don't have to do anything

    If it's under 15 yrs then typically it's a change of bumpers (US cars do not have a low enough rating on the crash test) & a baby seat restraint clip needs to be installed (yes, you read this right!). You may also have to put an overlay on the speedo if it doesn't report in Km's.

    Cost is about 15K.

    Check the site and it will tell you specifics.
  19. Z0RR0

    Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

    Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    for a 15 year old car, no matter where it's coming, you have almost nothing to do.

    We brought a 73 Lambo from France (originally from Italy) and they did not ask for anything other than road-use certification (that's in Quebec, not sure about other provinces). We had to replace tires and brakes (we were aware of that), and we're good to go.
    They're not all that picky anyways. Our tires are a notch under when it comes to max speed (210 rather than 240...), there are no seat belts whatsoever, bumper are euro-versions and emissions are quite far from today's standards ... lol
    If the car is 15 years +, they just want to make sure it's road worthy ...

Share This Page