Importing a used watch; fees/ duties/ taxes/ surprises ? | FerrariChat

Importing a used watch; fees/ duties/ taxes/ surprises ?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by LightGuy, Sep 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm looking at a used watch that is in Japan.
    The dealer, via Chrono24, states that all those fees , processes and waits are the responsibility of the buyer.
    I've also read elsewhere that shipping through Fed-Ex is seamless IE no wait times, fees, duties, USA national taxes etc.

Any experience in buying a foreign watch especially from Japan ?

If any significance I live in Texas.

2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I’ve bought one antique watch from a professional dealer in Barcelona Spain via Chrono24 although it was 5 years ago before the site really got cooking.

The transaction when extremely smoothly. It was shipped via “Overnight Service” but took a week. FedEx delivered the watch and sent me a bill a couple of weeks later for the Duty they had paid on my behalf.

There are more details in my thread about the watch:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-1997-girard-perregaux-ferrari-model-8020-chronograph-wristwatch.559661/

LightGuy likes this.
  3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I've bought watches from Japan and it was a crapshoot if I would get hit with import duties. I think it was DHL that always nicked me for duty. FedEx, not so much.

LightGuy and 375+ like this.
  4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Ordered a watch from Japan and was charged duty fees that had to be paid within a couple of days or they would return the watch. Shipper was DHL. $1000 watch about $60 in fees if that helps at all. Process was smooth overall though.

LightGuy likes this.
  5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    So even if duty charged it doesn’t seem so bad .
    If $60 per $1000
    I didn’t know what to expect .

6. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    #6 WPOZZZ, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    LightGuy likes this.
  7. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I'm in Los Angeles. I found Fed Ex and US customs a nightmare with a watch from Italy...and most of the problem was FedEx. However DHL was great with a watch from the UK. Had it on my wrist 3 days after it was sent. A used watch isn't going to kill you with customs duty. Just play it straight and declare the item at the value you pay for it. Sometime a description by the seller/shipper can be useful. A stunning 18k Omega Constellation was described at Omega watch parts, assembled. The problem with FedEx is that everything goes through Memphis...and the US customs there take their own sweet time about looking at stuff. I finally canceled the purchase because FedEx would not even give me an approximate date when I would see my watch. Not a day, not a week, not even a month. And they made no effort to goose customs. I was fed up. The seller in Italy was helpless. Again...I blame that one on FedEx.

LightGuy likes this.