importing to the US from Canada | FerrariChat

importing to the US from Canada

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mattmatttin, Dec 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mattmatttin

mattmatttin Rookie

Dec 9, 2016
    Hello,

Im looking at buy a 1999 FERRARI 360 from a insurance auction in ON, TORONTO.

I have two questions:

1) What paper work do i need?

2) Because it is a insurance auction, once the sale goes through I have no where to store it in canada. I was hoping to do a road trip from the us to pick it up and bring it back to the us on a trailer having the car sit in my garage till i have time to deal with the paper work. Is that possible??? Or do i have to have all the paper work completed before bring the car into the US?

2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Call the POrt where you plan to cross the border at to get the best answer. The car must meet all US EPA and DOT regs in effect at the time it was manufactured.

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    might be worth contacting an import broker. I've heard sometimes the paperwork can be super simple, but other times it helps to use someone who does it on a regular basis. If the car is a North America spec it makes things simpler. I don't think you can get across the border without the proper papers, so dealing with paperwork after is not (usually) an option.

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You have two choices when you cross the border:
    Present Canadian plates and drive across,
    or
    Have proper paperwork to import.

Canadian plates belong to the government and not the car, so once the car is sold, you probably won't be able to keep them when you drive across.

The paperwork to import is pretty easy if the car is North American. Ferrari NA will give you a letter for $300 (don't go through a dealer, contact them directly) that will allow you to import the car. You will pay duty, but be aware that registering it in your state is an additional set of rules.

If the car is not NA spec, well, world of hurt. Contact an importer, be prepared to pay a minimum 300% markup for everything they do that's required, and more for everything they tell you they need to do that's no required. So check the VIN with Ferrari NA first.

5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    great bit of info regarding the letter from FNA … when i imported a car from canada a few years ago it was an original canadian car so it met the requirements and we hired a company that handled everything for a small fee. It came through TOronto at the time I was told that was the place to cross (i live on the east coast ) THis company even set up shipping i was told some companies were more familiar with the procedure … all in all very simple….

Now thing is i do not know the name of the company as it was set up through the seller.
    I would spend some time searching the internet ...

6. parkem

parkem Karting

Feb 17, 2012
    florida
    Full Name:
    peter palermo
    can am auto importers,inc
    1304 military rd suite g
    kenmore new york
    716-873-3097
    They will tell you what you need(i think they charge about $1000.)