IMSA Continental Tire Challenge Series GT4 class | Page 3 | FerrariChat

IMSA Continental Tire Challenge Series GT4 class

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Ky1e, Nov 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    So if your wondering how I did, I qualified 6th with a 1:26.4. I ran in 6th and moved to 5th for the first ~30 minutes running very closely with some excellent pro's until I crashed at turn 2. No ones fault but my own. Tires were falling off, car was getting looser and I should have backed it down more but I was letting it slide and get a little too loose around turn 2 until one time it broke loose , I spun and hit the outside tire wall. Mostly cosmetic damage and we were able to continue but it caused a pit stop for repairs and we ended up finishing 8th.

I had 30 minutes in a Mustang before this event and about 30 minutes of total track time at CTMP before this event so it was a new car and a new track for me. It is hard to stay on the limit at a new track without having a "moment." Also we were learning the car and definitely had the tire pressures too high and the tires started falling off too much too quickly, but that said the crash was all on me. I'm a rookie and still learning. I can be fast but it will take time to keep refining my skills to get more consistent over the long haul. I'm looking forward to more seat time and to keep learning. I'm using this year as my development year -- many of the track are new to me, a new team, new car.

Even though I crashed I was happy that for the first 30 minutes right up until I crashed I was right behind the 2 cars that got first and second in the race (Stevenson Camero that won and the Cayman that got second).

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    At Watkins Glen did you have two McLarens, one configured for IMSA and the other for PWC? I can't remember which team I talked to but one of the crew gave me the run down on the GT4 differences between the two series. Interesting and enjoyable talk.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    no kidding, that car is super bright on camera! looks really good.

4. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Yes we did.

5. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Thank you. Nice to meet you at the PWC race and put a face to the name. I'm also a customer of yours and love your Carbonio products!

6. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Bad luck at Road America.

You weren't kidding about the reliability of the McLaren though. A couple of them had issues there yet again. Is this just an issue in the USA or are they this bad world-wide? You don't ever read about it.

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    It is my understanding that the reliability problems of the McLarens are not due to mechanical faults but due to software conflicts between the various systems (some road car and some motorsports) that throw errors and the car into limp modes. Of course the end result is the same from a racing standpoint.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    wow, we were starting to have problems like that 10 years ago, seems really common with modern race cars overcoming the factory road programs.

9. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    Can we get an update on the new car. How do you like it compared to the McLaren? Is it more reliable? Faster?