IMSA out at COTA, in at Mid Ohio in 2018 | FerrariChat

IMSA out at COTA, in at Mid Ohio in 2018

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Devilsolsi, Jul 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Just announced today. Sounds good to me, Ohio is much closer to me than Texas lol.

IMSA Announces Mid-Ohio Return - Sportscar365

2. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Great news. I'll still be in Cleveland then. It has snowed in May here before though.

3. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I didnt like all the run-off-- took away the penalty of exceeding the limit. Plus exceeding the track limits was hard to enforce. But my guess is it was a financial.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Glad Mid Ohio got the date. Great track and huge association with Honda, so good business move too.

With WEC and IMSA dropping the COTA dates, makes you wonder about how that track moves forward.

5. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I was at CoTA for the IMSA race this year. It was the worst experience I've ever had at a race. It was pretty clear neither really cared to have a race there so I'm glad a change was made. It's likely the last time I'll ever go to CoTA.

6. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Out of curiosity what made it so bad? Viewing access? General treatment?

7. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    In other news and not to spread rumors but it seems Lime Rock is regarded as only 50/50 at this point. I guess we'll know more next week.

8. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    On the practice days they had one stand open inside the track but had free water stations throughout the facility as it was hot.

On race day, they had only one vendor open inside the track and no free water stations placed anywhere. There were 10x the people there. It was the hottest day of the weekend by far with temperatures well into the 90s and no wind to speak of inside the track. The pop up vendors driving around were completely out of water and only had beer. The one stand that was open had lines that took over an hour to get through. People desperate for water were literally passing out in line before they got to the front so there was an ambulance stationed at the vendors location so that they could treat people as it was happening. I watched three different people drop to the ground while waiting in line. Without the ambulance there it could've been a very serious situation.

They allowed you to bring in one unopened bottle of water but you had to forfeit it by throwing it into the trash if you wanted to participate in the grid walk. No one had any idea that they were basically throwing away their own supply of water (unless they wanted to wait in the insane lines) when they walked onto the grid.

The PA system was bragging about how the facility was the best in America hosting the premier racing series in the America. How they thought they'd get away with having one station open for the amount of people that were there absolutely boggles the mind.

I was really rooting for you guys BTW. When I explained your story to the people around me it turned into a whole section cheering for you. :)

9. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I'd say COTA's marketing & low event turnout, it's horrible.

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    COTA is just another boring Tilketrack. Seriously, is he the only guy in the world capable of designing a racing circuit? I'm glad that a legacy track like Mid Ohio is getting more dates.

11. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    :) Thank you! I wish we had a better performance but our McLaren turbo started leaking 30 minutes into the race, we dropped power and eventually the hot gasses leaking from the turbo started melting things in the engine compartment-- as in holes through the valve cover, wiring, etc! So we had to end the race early and do another engine out service on the car... just another reason I ditched the McLarens and bought the Ford Mustang GT4.

I agree with COTA being a boring track to drive-- no risk/reward.

12. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    I have the same observations. Me and my son waited over an hour in line just to get a burger and drink as there was only one vender open. The water situation was almost criminal and left us feeling like we were very badly cared for at the event. The teams themselves were great, the racing as usual at COTA was few and far between as we've come accustomed to. Good luck with the rest of the season Alan we always keep an eye out for you on the telecasts!

Jason

13. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Just a suggestion, but perhaps if you folks with COTA experiences started a dedicated post about these matters - perhaps in the "Texas" section - then maybe future misery could be avoided. Those stories are atrocious, and something needs to be done about it.

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Glad to see. I have several friends who live in Ohio and were wishing they would get IMSA back again. Good racing fans and a great track.

15. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    WEC dropping COTA? I know there have been rumors, but did I miss an announcement?

16. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I don't think that there have been any announcements but discussions about a possibly reduced WEC calendar started back in May.

17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Could the WEC not have at least one race in the States?

If the endurance series wants to keep its status of "world championship", it must have races on several continents, according to the FIA. Europe and Asia are covered already.

So, which US track could replace COTA?

My favourite track would be Sebring, but it's already part of IMSA.

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    apologies, I posted rumor as fact. it does seem like the WEC is going to make a decision between Mexico and Austin for '18. we'll see who keeps it. COTA's track record at keeping events isn't great.

if they keep a race in the US, I really wish they'd do a combined event (not a combined weekend) with IMSA at either Daytona, Sebring or Petit/Road Atlanta. the Petit races with the factory LMP1 cars were breathtaking.

19. Watkins Glen would work too...I just doubt the powers that be will make a combined happen these days. :(
    If I recall correctly it's been since the late '70s, early '80s, no? Back then, the teams were running for two different championships...the IMSA Camel GT and the World Sportscar Championship. After that the furriners came over for the races (but not for their respective championships points)...just the prestige. Same as IMSA teams going to Le Mans...they receive no points towards the IMSA championship whilst there.
    Nowadays egos seem to prevail in what's allowed and what's not.

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Sebring and Petit were combined in 2011/2012.

And while I give IMSA a lot of (well deserved) crap, they wanted to play nice....the ACO and FIA screwed things up.

21. You got me. I 'member now. ;)
    I lost a bunch of interest when Peugeot pulled the plug ('Wintertest but not race '12?) but still hit Sebring just 'acause...'stopped attending when it became "Grand Am" (so to speak; '14?).

(And of course, 'short term is first to go...;))