(in)famous fake F40 LM for sale | FerrariChat

(in)famous fake F40 LM for sale

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by amenasce, Oct 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  2. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Is that Roland Linder's F40?

4. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Its not a fake as such, its a car built using ferrari F40 spec components, albeit it seems by West Coast customs! did it retain the VIN from the burned out donor?

Could be a nice car in the right ownership.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I never understood all the bling on the car (but then again...it was build in the land where chrome is king :D).

Also, with all the money spend on it...why go for an aluminium wing? It looks awful and to get it done in dry carbon wouldn't be expensive at all.

6. Chio

Chio Karting

Nov 1, 2005
    STL
    I have been in this car a couple of times and all i can say is it is fast as ****!!!!

7. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    yes, was sold to new owner, who appears is now selling it

the car was rebuilt from ground up, how Roland wanted it, some like it some don't, but is irrelevant being as he did in his own taste, it's not my taste personally, but a still is all Ferrari IMO, even if it's pretty flashy

8. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    What is the new owner asking?

9. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Not my taste too........but in the end is an F40!

10. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    in the DuPont listing says $620,00USD

11. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada

true, even though Roland did some extensive modifications, there's nothing to stop a new owner doing a complete tear down & make it far less flashy, and more like Traveller's F40 work done ...wheels are easily replaced, decals and paint easily changed too, there is a lot of good parts and modified parts in that car, despite the flashy paint & bits done, there's a serious car underneath

12. Georgescott

Georgescott Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2009
    It's got some serious performance gear installed, I'd change the wheels to LM ones and that's the first cosmetic change that it needs asap

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    They won't fit properly.

14. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    40 looks best stock

15. Georgescott

Georgescott Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2009
    You can get the look a like ones that fit the original hubs and brakes...

16. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    They don't fit the wishbones properly. I had a set and I had the same issue as everyone else who had a set. They fit too far inboard in the rear. There was never a problem of them fitting the stock hubs and brakes.

17. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This is absolutely correct as numerous owners have found out. If you want the LM rims, you need the full LM suspension. Ww measured the differences between the two, standard and Michelotto, and whilst only small, the aesthetic impact is gargantuan. I sold my old LM rims to someone in the UK who fitted them onto his car only to find they did not look right and so is now seeking to modify his supension. Whilst the LM looks so very similar to a stock car, there are just so many differences which are not, at first glance, apparent.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    of course it is a fake, fake LM. considering it is built on a burnt F40 I guess you can call it recreated non-original F40. that's still a stretch as in 20 years there might be 5,000 F40's with many built off one original part.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't think there was a lot of money spent on it. Roland did a great job with the money and connections he did have.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    how is it exactly an F40?

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think the history of this car is getting lost, it wasn't an original nice F40 that was modified into this.

22. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime

Let the games begin!!!! ..................... :)

23. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Of course its an F40, what a daft thing to claim otherwise.

Sure, its based on a burned out chassis but then again so are many multi million pound historic race and road ferrari's. Are they all now classed as fakes as well. This site really does chop and change its perceptions depending on the rebuilders/owners of these cars. I believe the builder of this F40 was slated on here, where as others are praised for doing virtually the same to other cars.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    not for rebuilding the burnt car into this F40 mod (very few issues with that), but for lying about racing at Le Mans and then also sometimes pretending this was a real LM to those unsuspecting.

25. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    This thread was started by someone saying its a fake, which is not true. Its a rebuilt F40 with a correct F40 chassis and VIN that has been updated to LM spec bodywise. The rest of the tat and glitter could be easily removed.

Any other issues with the rebuilder has nothing to do with whether the car itself is an F40 or not.

The rebuilder may have made claims it was an original Michellotto LM but he has long since sold it as what it is, and I don't believe the current owner is making any such claims