Inconel wrapped headers/manifolds | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Inconel wrapped headers/manifolds

Discussion in '360/430' started by Eric in Chicago, Nov 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric in Chicago

Eric in Chicago Karting

Jul 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    Eric
  2. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

Maybe you should ask the Formula 1 teams to ...."put up or shut up" :confused: ....and no you do not know what you're talking about.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

LorenzoR likes this.
  3. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Flea7 likes this.
  4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  5. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    F1 would never stuff blankets into the car for 2 basic reasons you continue to fail to grasp:
    1) Weight
    2) Packaging

Both repeatedly echoed already in this thread. The inconel provides them the compromise of a tight coke bottle package w some thermal efficiencies. Is it the best for heat? Duh, it's not...can't believe this has to be explicitly explained...

Just like all aspects of the design of the F1 car it's always about balancing/compromising between things downforce w drag; it's all about the overall packaging...sheesh. Do you even follow F1?

6. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Meat...stop ...just stop. Put your tail between your legs and walk away.

LorenzoR and clean512 like this.
  7. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    oh...been following F1 for about 41 years. Currently have access to F1 channel and Sky sports.and wenching on cars since I was in the 5th grade. Do you even lift a screwdriver or just study on google?

Inconel .... there is a reason NASA, Formula one and other industries use this material.

LorenzoR and clean512 like this.
  8. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    To be fair, freshmeat is correct. There is no 'ultimate' in anything: it's about design compromises and choosing where those compromises lie. Heat management should factor in durability, safety, performance, and weight.

F1 is heavily skewed towards weight optimisation. Engine bay components have a lifetime of one season, or sometimes much less. A safe level of heat reduction is all that's required - engine performance isn't much a consideration when there's a huge air feed to a carbon fibre airbox and the average lap is at well over 100 MPH i.e. lots of cool air. Packaging is also crucial to aid with external aero.

A road car is very different, and has very different operating conditions, hence there should be more of a focus on durability (of the surrounding engine bay components), and minimising heat soak for low speed driving. This usually comes with a weight penalty.

freshmeat likes this.
  9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #34 freshmeat, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    No one is debating the advantages of inconel...no one, not even me so there's nothing really to walk away from.

I'm all for sticking to my original "put up and shut up" challenge. You go do a 10mi run w your inconel and I'll do the same w my Capristo blankets, then we both proceed to touch the blankets and see who ends up at the hospital. Do you accept? We can do this privately or in public (I prefer the latter, just like the forums, it will provide much entertainment).

PUT UP OR SHUTUP.

10. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    With all this money being dropped on some headers, I hope that these 360's are actually going to be driving hard, fast, and rack up over 100k miles, other than that I do not see the point in Inconel headers unless it's part of a complete setup to maximize sound since the performance difference is so small... With all that effort might as well rip the cats and tune it, and make a real streel legal race car sounding Ferrari!!!

11. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    OK...let get something straight before we go into your back peddling. The statement above in bold letters by you is what triggered everything. It shows your ignorance the properties of Inconel.
    The members here posted videos of examples of temps used with Inconel and the significant advantage of using it. I showed you the use in this metal in reducing heat in the formula one cars. NASA use them in rocket boosters.

The first quote is your response to the Inconel KLINE shielding ..Post #1 ( you are anti- Kline, everyone knows this. It's due to your involvement with S-line ... I'm guessing this is why you posted the ignorant statement)
    The second quote above is you back peddling on your first statement.

No one gives a rat's a** in your challenge in touching the two. It's idiotic. No one here said that blankets don't work! Hell,.... I have fabspeed blankets on my car...they work great...but they will eventually fail and they pose more of a fire hazard being by being more absorbent.

Mark is correct there is not ultimate anything but the Inconel, if you can stomach the price, imho is the better option. Safety , durability, and performance favors the Inconel shields.

Again meat, just stop...put your tail between your legs and walk away

12. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Just to remind you ...I'm going to put this out here again.

ShineKen and clean512 like this.
  13. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Love the information Flea7

Flea7 likes this.
  14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    BTW. Just to be clear and throw that it out there. This video is a test Thermo-met did on their stainless steel material + their insulation. I spoke with Thermo-met in detail. They can do SS shield OR Inconel shielding. Expect even better results with Inconel, but even their SS + insulation setup is pretty darn good.

Outside of Capristo blankets, the majority of blankets aren't that great. Meat knows this. Capristo blankets aren't cheap and that's if they're willing to even sell you the blankets outside of their headers. They cost just as much as Inconel shielding. Go figure.

f355spider, freshmeat and Flea7 like this.
  15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #40 freshmeat, Jan 12, 2022
    Good job cherry picking comments out of context to fit your narrative. I ain't got time for all that, but if you eventually man up and take up my challenge to prove out how correct you are, I'm just a post away. Heck, I'll even do 10x the miles you do and put my hands on the Capristo blankets to demonstrate my conviction/hard truth.

Not sure why S-line got dragged into your crapshoot of a talk track when we're talking about blankets either...I can only surmise this is the root of all your insecurities. Either way, you won't see me ever forcing a product on anyone and fabspeed blankets are more like very basic covers/wraps which we can all agree is pretty much useless or the more politically accepted term "marginally beneficial" compared to any offering mentioned in this thread.

The simple, straightforward challenge you find idiotic is only idiotic to someone who knows he is incapable of winning...it's an undeniable, science-driven test not a battle of who googles better.

/yappin'
    /put up or shutup
    /or quote, "walk away w your tail between your legs"

16. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I think you need to grow up. I outlined my point. I'll see you on the next kline bashing.

17. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #42 freshmeat, Jan 12, 2022
    All you've clearly outlined in your posts (none of which will age well I might add) is that you are not willing to stand by the product you are so supportive of, while I on the other hand am willing to put it all on the line because as it turns out I do know a thing or two...might I suggest maybe next time buy the actual products and try them out firsthand instead of google-armchairing?

I think I've taken all of your personal bashing in great humor and stride; could it all have been better? Sure, but so can your inconel shields at heat shielding lmao. And if I was truly out to bash Kline, I'd be posting crap ton of pics at every outset from my own personal mishaps as well as others from the Bay Area. But have I?

/toodles, may you overcome your insecurities. live long & prosper.

18. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    This is the delusion you have. I'm not really supporting anything but the metal and your lack of knowledge of it. It's not about stupid challenges to prove points.
    Your post speaks for itself. The take away doesn't distort your message. It just takes out what's not relevant.
    As for you bashing kline every time kline come up in a thread, I can only tie it to the conclusion that you have a horse in the race S line. I have a kline system on my F430 and just an X pipe on the F12. I have NO affiliations with kline.....NONE. For the record, what relationship do you have with S-line in financial, marketing, or R&D ???

19. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Out of interest has anyone weighed their headers/manifolds complete with Inconel shields? Any before and after comparisons with their previous heat management solution.

The pressed Inconel shields do interest me.

20. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Hey Mark,
    Inconel is heavier than titanium lighter than stainless steel. The advantage is less of the material is used due to the strength. This is why people have a misconception that Inconel is lighter than titanium. I'm no metal expert but I did some research last year and bought samples to replace fabspeed covers and to cover my test pipes.

LorenzoR and mwstewart like this.
  21. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    This dude is on another thread accusing me of being a shill for another company too. Its fascinating because he is using nearly identical arguments with me as he is with you. I've put him on ignore. Seems like he is bouncing from this thread to the thread I'm on. He's now stalking me all across the internet. As you can see, I'm using my real name here so its not too hard to stalk me if one was so inclined to do so. Very odd behavior in my opinion.

22. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    :rolleyes: ...stalking...LOL You're not that important. Go seek comfort from your parent. I didn't know who you were until you quoted the Mase tuning got there tuning info from Trev. Go seek drama somewhere else kid.

23. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #48 freshmeat, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    FOR THE RECORD: I have zero relationship w S-line, other than being the first of two guinea pigs at the beginning of the development, providing feedback which helped iterate the design to today's final product. I have not been given any free product, I am not on their payroll or have any other working relationship with them. I paid for the prototypes they made for me and might've gotten a small discount on the first production-ready iteration, that's it. The real personal gain for me with S-line was actually getting someone to make the perfect sounding x-pipe which was originally inspired by a rather notorious figure from back in the day that went by MTK; I had paid his "mechanic" (TTCompetizione) to build one for me, but years went by and he never came through for whatever reason. Am I grateful S-line came long and helped me w my years-long pursuit for the perfect F1 sound? Unequivocally yes!

Funniest thing about all this is I've never mentioned S-line until your insecurities reared its ugly head lol...I thought we're comparing traditional / Capristo blankets of the like?

You're recollection of me "bashing" Kline "every time" is as tragically ignorant as all your comments in this thread...I like anyone else on the boards are on here to share opinions and real-life experiences; my own w Kline product experience has been dismal at best, unfortunately. I think their best product is their cosmetic scud exhaust tips.

The take away is this really: our comments will endure and people will formulate their own opinion.

Oh how many other products have you tested and lived with on your car again? Only Kline right?

Reminds of me those ppl who proclaim McD's as the best tasting food in the world coz that's all they've ever had, they just don't know any better...I can read @ShineKen's input and take him seriously coz at least he's tried different stuff, you're just a google armchair expert, at best.

Kent Adams likes this.
  24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    My Inconel-wrapped 355 headers weighed 2 lbs less than OE 355 headers. About 13 lbs vs 15 lbs. Not much difference overall, but pretty good considering mine has built-in insulation all along the pipes.

25. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    meat...your history speaks for itself. I not loyal to really any company. I just use what works. I also don't really write "reviews" on anything and really give opinions in general....I don't really care to test every brand.

My point is you HAVE a history of popping up anything kline related and downplay or bash the brand. I have kline and honestly ..I'm not offended or really care I don't have any association with them. but you obviously have biases. But if you have any stake in the sline company your behavior is inappropriate. And if you promote the sales of sline , and you have in the past, you should pay for a sponsorship on this forum. As of now, you don't even support it even with a silver subscription.

As far as this thread, the OP used kline and had them wrapped. AGAIN, post#2 you come and down play his Inconel wrap or it's process. Also, Inconel..you obviously have no idea of it's properties.

As far as me being an armchair expert? I manage and work on my own cars. I weld ...modify and understand what works...at least for me. I have enough experiences on other brand to know what works for me. I don't bash other brands to feel good about what i'm running. And again, I don't have a need to test every brand or to evaluate them. I don't bash any brands publicly. I have negative info on sline but never mention them on this forum.