Indy cars @ Barber 2018 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Indy cars @ Barber 2018

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by thirteendog, Apr 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I took the family and attempted to make a weekend of it camping at the track, but we decided to bail out and head home Saturday night. With the forecast, I foresaw myself packing up a soaking wet tent, two soaking wet and likely very muddy children, and a soaking wet, cold, and likely pissed off wife for a four hour drive home, and thought better of it. We did have a great time on Friday and Saturday, when the weather was perfect. The new cars look amazing in person, and the sound is head and shoulders better than current F1.

I took the kids to the autograph session and really have to commend all the drivers for being as kind and personable as they were. For something you know they would likely rather not be doing, they seemed to enjoying it for the most part, and really made my two kids’ days.

Quick anecdote about Newgarden: we were standing in the line for the back row of the autograph tent, which passed right next to JN’s seat on the front row. My son was behind me so I didn’t see him doing it, but he was holding up his diecast model of JN’s car and kind of waving it, to show him he had his car. A lady pointed out to JN that a little boy was trying to get his attention, and before I could tell my son to not bother him while he was signing autographs, JN stopped what he was doing to come over and talk to my son for a minute, check out the toy car, and get a picture. Just seemed like a genuinely nice guy with his head on straight. I think he has a bright, long career ahead of him. RHR is my son’s other favorite driver, and he was also very nice and took a little extra time with him. Chilton and Kimball were also very personable.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    awesome story about your kid! that's how motorsports stays relevant into the future, making fans of kids today.

and wise move on your part to leave Saturday night ;)

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Very nice story! I like your son's Spitfire shirt, by the way.

4. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    IndyCar drivers as a group are very good with the fans. They always seem to find that extra moment for the kids. Nice day for your son . .

5. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Great story about the autograph session!

6. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I have been around a lot of Indycar drivers over the last 35 years, and I agree that they are extremely fan friendly. A lot of times I visit w/ them at the Daytona 24, & my observations are that they are hands down the greatest assets of Indycar racing. If you can find a nicer bunch of sports "stars" than Ryan Hunter-Rhey, Simon Pagenaud, Takuma Sato, Sebastian Bourdais, Graham Rahal or Helio, then I would love to know who they are. And a special tip of the cap to Marco Andretti. I've only talked with him once (at the New Orleans debacle about 4 years ago), and it was at a race weekend point when things weren't going really well for him. Nevertheless, he was conversant, pleasant, and painfully honest in evaluating his Indycar career. He really didn't owe me anything other than - at most - a waive in response to me telling him hello. I really liked Marco and have pulled for him ever since. Good kid ... raised well. Thanks to Michael, Sandy, Mario & the family.