Indy Mid Ohio (spoilers) | FerrariChat

Indy Mid Ohio (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RWatters, Jul 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Rossi was the class of the field and won while on cruise mode for most of the race. The battle for positions past that seemed to change by the minute. I don't think I've ever seen that many passes at Mid Ohio in my life.

There was talk during the race of Penske wanting Dixon for next season (on top of McLaren) and Andretti issuing an ultimatum to McLaren since they aren't giving him any response.

2. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
  3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I agree with Tiff. And I wish Rossi could get a chance in a proper F1 car before he gets too old. I think he has more talent than a good portion of the current F1 field.

He would be good at Haas and I'd rate him over either of their drivers.

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The Mid-Ohio Indy Car race was tremendous fun to watch, enjoyed it a lot, the only
    bummer was NBCS has Leigh Diffey in the booth alongside Paul Tracy and Townsend
    Bell.

The competition in Indy Car has been good for a long time, even when they were running
    the ugly aero kits. And, say what you will, its more entertaining racing than F-1 especially
    on the road courses.

If Liberty is serious about having American drivers in F1, they should be looking hard at
    Newgarden and Rossi. I've seen Newgarden's name mentioned with a possible F1 future
    as certainly he's still young enough, has the pace and he would be a breath of fresh air there.

Penske could do a swap, get Newgarden into F1 and get Alonso into Indy Car as if Alonso
    really wants to win at Indy, lets face it, he should be on with Penske.

BHW

5. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I agree. Indy is really a good series this year. I do wish they would go back to standing starts on the road and street circuits, though.

Pro tip: Fewer street courses, more road courses.:D

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    They tried the standing starts a few times but they turned out to have disastrous results
    especially at Toronto and Indianapolis and I think the notion was scrapped.

BHW

7. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Yeah the cars were not designed with standing starts in mind so they never went all that well.

8. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    I was there on Sunday, and the crowd was the largest that I have ever seen at Mid-Ohio.

Best bit for me was tracking Bourdais as he started from last on the grid to finish sixth.

I agree - Excellent racing at an excellent track (I've done a couple of FCA track days there with my 308).

DM

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Bourdais is a monster. He seemed to be able to pass anyone at any point on track. Love watching him race.

10. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    There's no reason standing starts can't work. The driver who instigated that crash was oblivious to the waving yellow flag. If F1 can do it there's no reason indycar can't.

11. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    They haven’t been able to complete a rolling start with a full green lap at either of the last two races which is extremely disappointing. Standing starts would potentially make this worse.....

12. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I think a lot of drivers have been caught off guard by the new chassis/aero this season. I think by next season the first lap incidents should calm down a bit.