Inexpensive floor mats | FerrariChat

Inexpensive floor mats

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ghostdiver, Dec 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Seeing as how the OEM mats are $300+ from most outlets and almost any aftermarket mats are in the same ballpark, I set out to find some rubber mats so I checked with WeatherTech, and those are strangely $360 for a Modena 360.......I feel bad for those with a 488 but that's another story.....

So, does anyone have a solution for semi-fitted inexpensive ($100 range) mats? Would love to get the CS mats but those are $700+ for my car since it has the extinguisher, but a paltry $400 something without. Of course that is if they fit a regular 360.

Next idea is to get mudflaps off a dually and cut them to fit....thoughts from the group...

2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I have a set of tans I was trying to get rid of for 100, with the fire extinguisher cut.

3. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    First, don't feel bad for anybody who can afford a $300,000 car. Secondly, is there a reason you need rubber floor mats? Are you planning on driving your car throughout winter and through snow and sludge?

Funally, have you checked eBay?

Dale

KC360 FL likes this.
  4. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I'm going through the same decision process for my (new to me) 2003 360 Spider. I did find Lloyd RubberTite floor mats listed at a number of Automotive parts websites such as AutoAnything.com. They are listed for all 360's and run about $60 for two mats. Unlike Weather Tech liners they do not roll up the side of the footwell but they are also about $300 cheaper. Worth looking at. I am still undecided as I have Weather Techs in all of my other vehicles and I do like them. At $115 or so I would not think twice but for $370 a set for the 360 I am giving this some further thought.

5. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    It's a classic case of the "Ferrari tax. The same stupid floor mats for any common car would be $60. There's no more labor or material involved, they're just simply charging more because it's for a Ferrari. In my opinion, that's a bad business model and a reason to avoid doing business with them.

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Yes there is no more labor or material but a company like Weather Tech needs to foot the bill for development, tooling, and inventory control of a part that will sell in the very low 100’s of units rather than the tens of thousands of units of say a GM truck floor mat. That is the reality of the business model of supplying parts for very low volume production cars. Moreover Ferrari owners are much more particular about using OEM parts than say your average car owner making the customer pool for an aftermarket manufacturer just a fraction of the total vehicle production. Many people don’t look at it like this and are quick to call it the ‘Ferrari tax’ when really it is the cost realities of making parts for low volume automobiles.

obertRo likes this.
  7. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    It's not that I feel bad for the people who buy a 300k car...it's the business model that Weather Tech uses for late model F cars....mats for a 360...$360, mats for a 430...$430, mats for a 458....$458. I'm all for someone to make a buck but come on, that's a little ridiculous. When I called weather tech, they said the pricing is reflective of the car and being a low production run causes the price to increase. They didn't like it when I requested mats for my F12 since they would only be $12 according to their pricing structure.

As far as why rubber...easy to clean is the main reason, as well as no staining or soak through. I do tend to dive my car more than some (averaging about 5k a year) and being in Texas, winter means lows in the mid 30's for a week or so....

In all seriousness, no snow down here but rain, rain, and more rain bringing with it a higher possibility of muddy, dirty shoes, etc.

I do have a spare black set that I may use since my originals are in better shape but I'd prefer to have the durability of rubber.

8. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I do understand the development cost but their pricing structure is very questionable...

$360 for 360 mats, $430 for 430 mats, $458 for 458 mats, $599 for 599 mats.....come on now. I'm all for paying the Ferrari tax when necessary but this amounts to saying "hey you own a Ferrari, your stupid enough to pay whatever we want"

BlacktopRacing likes this.
  9. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I've got CoverCraft rubber backed carpeted mats in my truck that roll up the sides like the Weather Tech but I can't find these anywhere. Love them and I'd buy them in a heartbeat if they made them for my car. Thanks for the tip on Lloyds though. I'll check it out.

10. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Should be available for cheap. I got a black set (original tan got too dirty, now on the shelf) from ebay Australia landed for under $100 (US$70) Fit perfect. RHD though.

11. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Edit found them in LHD on ebay $US79 free world wide shipping. Plain but different colours.
    Seller is fitmycar in Australia. No affiliation. Perfect fit. Love mine.

whatheheck and Ghostdiver like this.
  12. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Sorry, but that is BS. The "development" cost is a one time thing for every model. It's history and buried at this stage of the game since we're talking about cars that are 8+ years old. There are likely no inventory control costs either, since they likely don't stock them. All they have to do is throw some material in a machine and press a few buttons. You don't find it curious and/or humorous that they charge $360 for 360 mats, $430 for F430 mats, $458 for 458 Italia mats, $599 for 599 mats, etc.?

13. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I didn't want to buy the WeatherTech, but I did because my wife likes to drink in the Ferrari and she tends to spill her drink once in a while. The WeatherTech does contain the spill quite effectively. The price is crazy but once you click the "buy it" button, the pain goes away rather quickly. The quality of the rubber is OK, not as thick and rubbery as a typical rubber floor mat that you would find at AutoZone for $29.95, for example.

14. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I prefer the $79 dollar versions. It's gonna take 100k miles to wear them out.

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You all think the margins are so big why aren’t you buying machines, renting space, doing the design, and making piles o& money? I know why, the margin isn’t there for low volume. I get really tired of the constant whining about cost vs a Toyota (or whatever car). If running costs are so important buy a Miata or better get a Prius and quit complaining. <rant done>

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Nuvolari likes this.
  16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #16 Nuvolari, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    There is no doubt that the pricing structure for the mats is comical and not tied to a specific costing formula. I also agree that development costs are a one time thing for every model regardless of the vehicle and are likely about the same regardless of the car or truck.

That said it just so happens I bought a set of OEM floor mats for my E46 3 series BMW just last week at a price of $90. These mats are made by WeatherTech so it got me thinking. A quick internet search showed that E46 production from 2000-2005 was about 3-3.1 million cars. Ferrari 360 production was about 17,000 units. So the BMW E46 market is about 180 times larger (all these numbers are rough but you get the point) yet they both have the same development costs that need to spread among the number of units sold.

In addition these items need to be made in production runs and inventoried because making them on an as needed basis would be incredibly expensive from a cost perspective. Just storing and keeping track of the tooling for years on end has a very real cost. Yes their pricing is high and funny but don't think for a second they are retiring on the sales of a few Ferrari mats. If they charged BMW prices for Ferrari volumes WeatherTech would very likely be paying you to buy their mats once all the real business costs were factored in.

Skidkid likes this.
  17. SFFerrari

SFFerrari Karting

Jul 21, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LanceD
    Hi!

Seems I lost track of you. We were communicating via email and I’m not sure what happened. I’m still interested, Can we make a deal to make this happen?

Lance

18. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    ? PM sent.

19. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I forget the name, but the sponsor/outfit in Toronto, Canada did some simple mats for my 430 Scuderia in black, for around $160 or so, IIRC.

20. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Dayton Auto Centre?

21. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The F-Chat sponsor is www.exoticare.ca

22. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  23. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    They did customize the passenger side to accommodate the fire extinguisher

24. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
  25. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    LLoyds makes nice mats. Had a set in my last car and the clip system they use kept them from moving around.